ISU changing "Lady"/"Ladies" to "Woman"/"Women"

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

ISU changing "Lady"/"Ladies" to "Woman"/"Women"

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:39 am

A change that has already been made in several of the skating federations.

Also using appropriate apostrophes, i.e. Women's single skating and Men's single skating

From: https://www.isu.org/media-centre/press- ... -2021/file
Change from ‘Ladies’ to ‘Women’ throughout ISU Rules: the change in terminology from ‘Ladies’ to ‘Women’ throughout the Special Regulations and Technical Rules of all ISU sports is in accord with the recommendation of the IOC Gender Equality Review Project that there be a fair and balanced portrayal (i.e. how women and men are presented and described) in all forms of communication and official documents, including rules and regulations.
The details of all the changes from the mail voting proposals are in this document: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rule ... -2403/file

This is the section relevant to the subject line used above :)

Judy

Re: ISU changing "Lady"/"Ladies" to "Woman"/"Women"

Post by Judy » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:26 am

Long overdue but at least it is finally done.

happyheini

Post by happyheini » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:42 am

Hear, Hear!

kittykins

Post by kittykins » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:59 pm

I'm sure it's good, but I'll have to break the habit of saying Ladies.

fred

Post by fred » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:42 pm

Since the 1970s, I've had several liberated women friends and I lost the "ladies" many years ago. :D
I agree with Judy, about time!

kittykins

Post by kittykins » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:25 pm

I suppose the term "lady" indicates that women should behave in a certain way, so it is outdated. I had someone say to me that one should "always be a lady" in response to the challenges of being a woman on her own. Personally I'm not sure that's possible. If there's a man in the home he can speak up to people but somehow a woman can't?! We certainly need to move past those stereotypes.