Kaitlyn Weaver (and other skaters) share "coming out stories" - Pride Month 2021

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

Kaitlyn Weaver (and other skaters) share "coming out stories" - Pride Month 2021

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:54 pm

From: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/wint ... -1.6061918
Kaitlyn Weaver hopes her coming out story finally breaks figure skating's female archetype

It's a sport laced with creativity, beauty and strength. Ice dance is poetry in motion, two skaters weaving gracefully across the ice surface together as one. Their precision and symmetry is something to marvel over.

But figure skating is also littered with judgment — an international panel of judges scouring over every little detail, then providing their score.

It was that suffocating weight of knowing she was being watched every second that kept Canadian ice dancer Kailtyn Weaver hiding what she calls her little secret.

But now, two years after leaving competitive figure skating, Weaver is tired of doing the dance and keeping up the facade just to be accepted in the sport she loves.

On Friday, the 32-year-old became one of the few Olympic female figure skater to publicly identify as queer.

"I've reached the point of not wanting to pretend anymore. It really weighed on my mental health to hide consistently a part of who I am," Weaver told CBC Sports in an exclusive interview. "I feel like it's the right time in my life to share that I identify as a queer woman.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Elizabeth

Re: Kaitlyn Weaver shares her "coming out story"

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:03 pm

A sit down interview: https://youtu.be/TZkpbCHGWIo

happyheini

Post by happyheini » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:24 pm

I admire Kaitlyn's courage and hope to see her and Andrew continue to skate for our enjoyment.

fred

Post by fred » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:45 pm

There's something you don't hear every day. Kaitlyn & Andrew have been a valuable part of the Canadian figure skating scene and thank-goodness it looks like they will be continuing to do that.
I think back to Brian O. when he was outed, and he was worried about how people were going to react. He skated or from behind the curtains to a 5 or 7? minute standing ovation and I'm just hoping that skating fans can give Kaitlyn at least one of those! :D :) ;) :D :D

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:47 pm

I remember that, Fred. The times were (slowly) changing back then and, hopefully, have changed sufficiently that Kaitlyn will be very well received everywhere. I am hoping to see her skating with Andrew at Stars on Ice in the fall, fingers crossed :)

Elizabeth

Re: Kaitlyn Weaver (and other skaters) share "coming out stories" - Pride Month 2021

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:59 pm

Pride Month 2021, and specifically June 11th, has brought out even more "coming out" stories: This is from Jason

Elizabeth

Re: Kaitlyn Weaver (and other skaters) share "coming out stories" - Pride Month 2021

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:13 pm

And now a message (from Instagram) from Jeremy Ten: