Ruest & Wolfe retire from competitive skating

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

Ruest & Wolfe retire from competitive skating

Post by Elizabeth » Fri May 28, 2021 12:35 pm

Canadian pairs team Camille Ruest and Andrew Wolfe announced their retirement today. Here's a Google translation of Camille's post on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CPa5ebwrbBi/

This great adventure comes to an end. Now is the time to put competitive skating behind us and pursue other dreams.

After suffering a hip injury in the middle of the 2019 international season, followed by several months of rehabilitation and injections, it became impossible to continue practicing my sport without affecting my quality of life in the long term. Following several meetings with various orthopedic experts, we concluded that I will have to receive a hip replacement in the near future. It was with mixed feelings that Drew, our coaches and I decided to prioritize my physical health, which outweighed our desire to continue our journey to the Olympics.

We want to deeply thank our coaches, who have always encouraged us to give our best to become better athletes, and above all, better people. We also want to thank our families for their countless sacrifices, dedication and support that was instrumental in our career. A huge thank you to Skate Canada and Patinage Québec for allowing us to evolve in the complex environment of elite sport, and especially for their invaluable support during all these years. I would also like to thank my beloved region, Eastern Quebec and the CPA Rimouski for having been behind me since day 1. To all our competitors and fans who have always supported us in our best victories but also in our defeats. , we are very grateful to you.

Know that we retire from the sport with sorrow but having no regrets, knowing that we have given everything to achieve each goal we set for ourselves. To all young skaters pursuing their athletic ambitions, know that this is a risk that is absolutely worth it. The life lessons and experiences that elite sport has given me are irreplaceable and have allowed me to meet incredible people! Despite this very difficult decision, I can't wait to see what the future holds. As my dad says, it's the toughest decisions that get us the furthest!

happyheini

Re: Ruest & Wolfe retire from competitive skating

Post by happyheini » Fri May 28, 2021 4:47 pm

What a tough decision to make. I will miss them, they hadn't reached their potential yet, but I am glad they are putting their health first. Perhaps we may see Andrew again with a new partner.