New CDN pairs team - Vanessa James & Eric Radford

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

New CDN pairs team - Vanessa James & Eric Radford

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:06 pm

From Skate Canada: https://skatecanada.ca/2021/04/vanessa- ... -together/
OTTAWA, ON: Vanessa James, 33, Scarborough, Ont., and Eric Radford, 36, Balmertown, Ont., have formed a new skating partnership and will compete for Canada in the pairs discipline this coming season. Both skaters have previously competed internationally with different partners, James representing France and Radford on the Canadian national team.

“Partnering up with Eric is a very exciting career opportunity. I am looking forward to a season full of inspiration, joy and personal growth,” said Vanessa James. “We’re both very much looking forward to this new chapter in our lives.”

“I’m looking forward to this new partnership with Vanessa and getting back on the ice and doing what we love,” said Eric Radford. “Vanessa and I are thrilled to have the opportunity to represent Canada this coming season and are looking forward to see what the future holds for our partnership.”

James and Radford both did not compete this season. James, with her previous skating partner Morgan Ciprés, is the 2019 European Champion, the 2018 World bronze medallist in the pairs event, and represented France at the 2014 and 2018 Winter Olympics. James and Ciprés announced their retirement in September 2019. Radford, with his previous skating partner Meagan Duhamel, is a two-time World pair champion (2015, 2016), a 2018 Olympic gold medallist in the team event, a 2018 Olympic bronze medallist in the pairs event, and a seven-time Canadian national champion (2012-18). Duhamel and Radford announced their retirement in April 2018.

This coming season, James and Radford will be training in Quebec coached by Julie Marcotte, and the pair team looks forward to representing Canada at international events.

Elizabeth

Re: New CDN pairs team - Vanessa James & Eric Radford

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:12 pm

More: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/wint ... -1.5995937
In March, the duo officially began practising as a team. They're based in Montreal and coached by Julie Marcotte and Ian Connolly. They've already chosen music and will choreograph one program with Marcotte and the other with renowned French ice dancer Guillaume Cizeron and Canadian choreographer Samuel Chouinard, who has worked with the likes of Virtue and Moir.

"Both Vanessa and I, we really wouldn't have expected this," Radford said. "This has come totally out of left field, and it's something that's just manifested in front of us quite easily without us trying.

"If anybody had asked me even five months ago [if I would be back competing], I would've been like, 'no bleeping way.'"

James and Radford will debut this August at provincials in Quebec. Then they'll do some senior B competitions, two Grand Prix events and then Canadian nationals next winter, which will be the real Olympic decider.

"We don't know what's going to happen on the way, any surprise could come up," James said. "It could be injury, it could be we're not as good as we think we will be.

"But it's definitely a goal and dream for us to get to the Olympics and hopefully an Olympic medal."

That Figure Skating Show interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlkasD1KYC0

Includes training clips that look very encouraging :)

kittykins

Post by kittykins » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:28 pm

Wow! I just saw this on my local news as Eric is from Northwestern Ontario. Wouldn't it be something if they really do well as a team!

fred

Post by fred » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:49 pm

That'd be nice. I'll try to pay more attention, but I'm pretty busy these days and slowing down some. I'm enjoying the spring and the smell of the growing grass and green things. The song birds seem to be coming back and in a few weeks the hummers will be here. Everything's waking up. It's good to see it again.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:29 am

Since yesterday's announcement, there has been a bit of backlash to the new pairing (mainly on social media), some of it related to Vanessa's previous partner and some of it related to how soon/late Eric spoke to Meagan about this.

Bev Smith has weighed in after apparently speaking to them: https://bevsmithwrites.com/the-muddy-wa ... -comeback/

happyheini

Post by happyheini » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:01 pm

Can't wait to see them perform.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:24 pm

There is a very long video from "The Skating Lesson" on youtube with Megan Duhamel's perspective on the situation . Spoiler: She is not pleased with how things went down. Feel free to look it up if you want, but be prepared that she talks about it for over 50 minutes, and she does not hold back (but clearly states what is fact, and what is unknown).

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:54 pm

As a matter of personal choice, I do not look at The Skating Lesson's (TSL) social media - there has been too much gossip, mean personal posts, unfounded speculation, etc. I know that Meagan has cooperated with them in the past and that is her choice but I choose not to support them by giving them "hits".

Meagan's own social media posts before the public announcement (very vague, mentioning personal and professional betrayal) and afterward were not helpful, in my opinion, to either her reputation or to the new pairing. They stirred up a lot of negativity and meanness (especially from the many anonymous social media posters), some of it directed toward Vanessa but really about the behaviour of her previous partner when she skated for France. Venting and airing personal laundry in the very public world of social media is not always that healthy, in my opinion.

I actually hope that Eric & Vanessa have been able to just put their heads down, turn off the "noise", and get on with their training after the initial round of interviews. I look forward to seeing them. I think having another senior pair can only be good for pushing everyone to achieve their best results.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:38 pm

I understand your perspective Elizabeth. The reason that I put it out there is that it was not flavoured in any way by the hosts. It was all Meghan, and she did try to clear up some of the negative things that were being said regarding Eric. I can see both sides of the situation so I thought it fair to mention her outing.

I am however, very excited to watch this pair and see what they can accomplish. Those who remember my comments know I was never a Duhamel/Radford fan, because I felt they were terribly mismatched. This partnership promises to bring out the best in Eric, and Vanessa both!

kittykins

Post by kittykins » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:48 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:54 pm
As a matter of personal choice, I do not look at The Skating Lesson's (TSL) social media - there has been too much gossip, mean personal posts, unfounded speculation, etc. I know that Meagan has cooperated with them in the past and that is her choice but I choose not to support them by giving them "hits".

Meagan's own social media posts before the public announcement (very vague, mentioning personal and professional betrayal) and afterward were not helpful, in my opinion, to either her reputation or to the new pairing. They stirred up a lot of negativity and meanness (especially from the many anonymous social media posters), some of it directed toward Vanessa but really about the behaviour of her previous partner when she skated for France. Venting and airing personal laundry in the very public world of social media is not always that healthy, in my opinion.
I actually hope that Eric & Vanessa have been able to just put their heads down, turn off the "noise", and get on with their training after the initial round of interviews. I look forward to seeing them. I think having another senior pair can only be good for pushing everyone to achieve their best results.
Elizabeth, I agree with you 100% on this. Thanks for posting the Beverly article. It's never that helpful to go public with feelings of betrayal, although I can understand why she would feel this way. It's something that should have been handled privately imho, as things have obviously spiraled out of control. Probably she feels like Shae Lynn did when Victor decided he did not want to do the pro circuit/shows after they retired from amateur. It's not always a given that a successful team will have the same goals and needs in retirement and they are not bound together for life. I wish Vanessa and Eric the best and I think their partnership looks promising. It's not a nice start for them emotionally and I hope they can move past it.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Tue May 11, 2021 11:20 pm

A photo posted on Instagram by Eric Radford and shared on Twitter by IFS Magazine -

"Short program vibes with Monsieur Cizeron. 💃🏼🕺🏼"

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:36 pm

As expected, Vanessa & Eric are listed among the entries for the Quebec Summer Championships which will take place August 4-8, 2021, Sporteplex 4 Glaces Pierrefonds: https://patinage.qc.ca/wp-content/uploa ... in-16h.pdf

The event website (in French): https://patinage.qc.ca/championnats-quebecois-dete/

Some information about how the event may have to be held:

fred

Post by fred » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:41 am

I do feel sorry for Meagan. She & Eric have done some fantastic skating and it's hard to believe that either of them will reach that level again, especially in the Covid era.