Re: Ice Academy of Montreal - expanding to London, ON

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:32 am

Marie-France, Romain & Patrice held a live Facebook press conference this morning to announce the transition of the Montreal International Skating School (at Gadbois) into a new and expanded Ice Academy of Montreal (I.AM) - bigger, better, broader education/development aspects involving both skaters and (future) coaches. They will be formally including the group that they have already been working with on non-skating aspects of development and are looking toward helping students with life beyond skating.

"I.AM - The Future of Ice Dance Excellence"
Last edited by Elizabeth on Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fred

Re: Ice Academy of Montreal

Post by fred » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:57 pm

That;s fantastic. Marie-France, Romain & Patrice have a clear idea of what is needed and I agree completely with their approach. It's the way of the future.

Elizabeth

Re: Ice Academy of Montreal - expanding

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:08 pm

Today I received an e-mail announcing:

I.AM is expanding!
Appointing none other than Scott Moir as Head Coach and Managing Director of the Ice Academy of Montréal's second campus, in Southwestern Ontario.

The text of the e-mail:
We are beyond excited to announce that:
As of today - February 3rd, 2021- the Ice Academy of Montréal is operating a second campus. Scott Moir has been appointed Head Coach and Managing Director and together with his team he is coaching Ice Dancers in Southwestern Ontario. This new venture is enabling I.AM to expand its horizon and host more passionate Skaters under the I.AM umbrella.

Programming at I.AM’s second location includes full-time instruction and, hopefully soon, short seminars, with strong connection to community programming. Integral to programming delivery will be the sharing and collaboration between the two I.AM campuses on all levels - coaching, choreography and other instructional resources.

The Ice Academy of Montréal’s second campus is being built on I.AM’s shared approach to achieving personal best in a supportive and safe-sport environment.

Scott Moir - two-time and reigning Olympic Ice Dance Champion (with Tessa Virtue), and former student of the Ice Academy of Montreal will be leading the team of professional coaches at the new Ice Academy of Montreal campus in the position of Head Coach. Simultaneously he will develop the I.AM branch as Managing Director.

Romain Haguenauer about the new partnership: “We are absolutely delighted to be partnering with Scott. An Ice Academy of Montreal scholar himself and an aspiring World-class coach, we believe he is the perfect addition to the I.AM team.”

About his new career as a coach Scott says: “I have always been extremely passionate about figure skating... Now that my competitive career is done, I am looking forward to giving young local, Canadian and, hopefully soon, international skaters, the opportunity to reach their potential at a World-class skating academy. As a coach, I am committed to not only developing well-rounded athletes but also good human beings. For some, sport is just a short chapter of their lives so I am excited to help athletes develop many life skills that they can take with them on their next chapter.”

About his experience and aspirations with I.AM Scott says: “For me, training at I.AM for two years was a dream come true. The environment was truly spectacular. Not only does it provide you with a platform to allow you to reach your potential as athlete but I.AM has also created an environment where all athletes thrive personally, as individuals. Because of our team at I.AM we were able to achieve our goals at the 2018 Pyoeng Chang Winter Olympics by winning our second Olympic title and recapture our love for the craft of figure skating. Canada is on the map being home to the best ice dance school in the World - I look forward to continuing and building on that in southwestern Ontario.”

Welcome to I.AM, Scott.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:15 pm

The link to the recording of the live announcement:
https://www.facebook.com/32687443777415 ... 5297440755

It's over 20 minutes long and has more details.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:53 am

An article about Scott and coaching: https://lfpress.com/sports/olympics/sco ... 7b91784b0e

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:58 pm

And the new campus has its first high-level team - moving from the USA: https://www.usfigureskating.org/news/pr ... ing-change

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:01 pm

A local article on this development: https://lfpress.com/sports/local-sports ... dance-team

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:55 am

More on Carreira & Ponomarenko and their move to being part of the I.AM "stable":
https://www.ifsmagazine.com/carreira-po ... to-canada/

This past week they were in Montreal, likely working on choreography, and posted a couple of photos on Twitter - with Scott & Marie-France and with Sam Chouinard:

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:22 pm

A USFS article with more details about Carreira & Ponomarenko's move: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/news ... -moir.aspx

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:31 pm

Another ice dance couple moving to London as announced on Twitter:
I. AM proud to announce that we have another addition to the team! Representing 🇨🇦 Canada, please welcome...

Haley Sales and Nikolas Wamsteeker !!!

Welcome to I. AM! 💃🕺

We are delighted to have you at the I. AM, London Campus training with Scott Moir !

happyheini

Post by happyheini » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:44 pm

Good News.Looking forward to see strong teams with strong imaginative programs emerging.

fred

Post by fred » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:37 pm

The I.AM is getting to be a rather famous school. Probably representing to skating what Horwart's is to Wizarding. 8-) :lol:
I usually have trouble with names, (and it's getting worse with age), but I bet I'll remember "Wamsteeker" for a while. ;)

fred

Post by fred » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:48 pm

Oh, and I just saw the Samson & Delilah routine which I loved. OH! and they are coached by Wing & Low too. This is super. :D