Throwing out the "auld" year and welcoming (?) the new

This is where we can talk about things not included in the forums above. Still board rules apply, so no hurtful posts are allowed Exchange recipes, talk about your hobbies, there's been some great discussions about Downton Abbey, and so on.
Elizabeth

Throwing out the "auld" year and welcoming (?) the new

Post by Elizabeth »

New Year's Eve - a time for some reflection and a time to look forward hopefully...

A year ago our public health official were predicting a "difficult couple of months" and we were looking forward to vaccines. Now we (or most of us) have had the opportunity to get first, second, and third doses of vaccines. We are in the midst of a tidal wave of a new variant of the coronavirus that is defying authorities, masks, etc. and causing us to change our activities yet again :( It is spreading indiscriminately and reducing staff in health care facilities just when the numbers who need their care are starting to increase.

We have lost many folks this year through various illnesses, not just the virus. Some of those people were known only to us; some were more well known. Today we lost a legend in the person of Betty White - she would have turned 100 on January 17th. Who here knew that in addition to all her other skills, she was able to skate?? Robin Cousins posted this photo on Twitter saying
RIP Betty ‘you could do anything’ White

Here's hoping that the current wave, although very highly transmissible as we are seeing, will pass as quickly as possible and allow lives to get back to some semblance of normality SOON!

Take care and enjoy whatever you can to the utmost as we welcome 2022!
fred

Re: Throwing out the "auld" year and welcoming (?) the new

Post by fred »

Betty White has always been a fountain of Joy. I had no idea she could skate as well. She'll be with Allen again. I'm sure she knows the PASSWORD.
kittykins

Re: Throwing out the "auld" year and welcoming (?) the new

Post by kittykins »

Wow, that's a real find Elizabeth...great photo! :) I'm just so sorry she couldn't officially make it to 100. I see People magazine had declared her 100 though...Well, if one counts the gestation period, she really has been on earth for over 100 years! I like how the Chinese count that in their ages, but I know some people, like my friend in China, would like to be younger, lol.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)