ISU 2019 Worlds - 18-24 March - Saitama, Japan

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

Re: ISU 2019 Worlds - 18-24 March - Saitama, Japan

Post by Elizabeth »

Very unfortunate collision in the warm-up for the final group of pairs involving Vanessa James & Matteo Guarise :o It appeared to have impacted both teams in their short programs :(

Comments from the Italians via PJ Kwong's Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BvN6i1ig8Ui ... oitwwi8xi4
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Elizabeth wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:57 am Very unfortunate collision in the warm-up for the final group of pairs involving Vanessa James & Matteo Guarise :o It appeared to have impacted both teams in their short programs :(

Comments from the Italians via PJ Kwong's Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BvN6i1ig8Ui ... oitwwi8xi4
That's too bad! I had to go to bed before that as there was little hope of seeing the Ladies. I tuned in just after Aurora skated but managed to see Alaine and Gabby. Good for Gabby. I think she will only build on this in the FS and hopefully be able to secure 2 spots for next year's worlds. I imagine I'll see the collision on the show this afternoon. I prefer to watch everything live, as I'm not a huge fan of commentating unless they make sure to talk about what's happening on the ice, however I won't be able to this time.

Happy first day of spring everyone!
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

A photo of the enthusiastic full house audience during the ladies SP - can you guess which skaters might have been on the ice?!? :lol:

kittykins

Post by kittykins »

HA! Wow, it must be something for those in attendance to see this in person.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

An interesting addition to the on-screen information during replays at Worlds has to do with the across-ice distance coverage, height attained & speed on landing/glide out for certain throws (for pairs) and certain jumps (for singles). Two examples are below.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Anyone watching the CBC TV coverage will see that Scott Russell and Brenda Irving are in Saitama for some on-site coverage and interviews. [PJ Kwong is there too - she's writing and posting online.] Dylan Moscovitch has joined Kurt Browning and Andy Petrillo in the Toronto studio for commentary on the pairs. Carol Lane will be commenting on ice dance, for sure, and likely the other disciplines as well.
Judy

Post by Judy »

What a wonderful surprise to see the throw stats for height, distance, and speed during the Pairs Short. Imagine the torque of 20km/hr and landing perfectly on a blade, on an outside edge, in time to the music! Not to mention going up over a meter in the air.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Judy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:26 pm What a wonderful surprise to see the throw stats for height, distance, and speed during the Pairs Short. Imagine the torque of 20km/hr and landing perfectly on a blade, on an outside edge, in time to the music! Not to mention going up over a meter in the air.
Apparently the Japanese had done this for a national championships, perhaps as a trial run for Worlds. Definitely an interesting demonstration of the physical demands of this sport and the extent of the skills of some of the skaters :)

The link to watch the live stream which begins at 9:30 PM EDT: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/figu ... -1.5061826
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Now that the first medals have been awarded in Saitama, to answer the important question regarding of the number of entries for next year's Worlds in Montreal:

Number of entries this year ------ To earn 3 entries the next year ------------------ To earn 2 entries the next year
--- 1 ----------------------------------- Place in the top 2 ------------------------------------ Place in the top 10
--- 2 ---------------------------------- Total placements is equal to or less than 13 ------ Total placements is equal to or less than 28*
--- 3 ---------------------------------- Top two placements is equal to or less than 13 --- Top two placements is equal to or less than 28*

*Those reaching the free program and finishing in 16th through 24th spot each get 16 points.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

After posting a preview video ( https://youtu.be/U7rYRYZlgNc ), the ISU now has a section on their YouTube channel for the Saitama Worlds - there you will find interviews, post event press conferences, etc.

The on-site host is Cathy Reed who at one time represented Japan in ice dance with her brother.

Check it out/subscribe here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... qNV23xGiEM
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Guess who had just skated their free program before a packed house?

Russian TV commentator & former Worlds competitor Alexei Yagudin was in Saitama shared a video of the final moments and crowd reaction to Yuzuru Hanyu's free skate on his Instagram account: https://t.co/VY1CMO2Nst?amp=1 Also there is a brief appearance of his excited co-commentator, Tatiana Tarasova :)

There would have been many more Poohs on the ice, I'm sure, but it was announced repeatedly that only those in the Premium seats could throw items onto the ice. I know that some of those in said seats were kindly throwing Poohs for some who were not. Among those were some Canadian fans who were caught getting prepared by Japanese TV.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The "small medals" for the top three in each of the separate parts of the event were handed out in ceremonies outside the arena venue - this is the crowd gathered for the ceremonies earlier today for those for the free dance.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Another World Figure Skating Championship is in the history books
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Taking it back to the ladies short program, it was so nice to see these three smiling faces in the kiss 'n cry

It has been a long a challenging year for Evgenia.