Changes in program length? New terminology? More GOEs?

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

Changes in program length? New terminology? More GOEs?

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:33 pm

You might want to prepare yourself for watching skating this season in light of the changes approved at the 57th ISU Congress.

Jackie Wong (RockerSkating) explains all the changes that came about following the most recent Congress in his column here: https://www.rockerskating.com/news/2018 ... kating-now

Kevin

Re: Changes in program length? New terminology? More GOEs?

Post by Kevin » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:53 pm

Wow - no side by side spins in the pairs LP??? Don't know if I agree with that. I like some of the other changes, like not repeating quads, and only having 3 jumps in the second half of the program receiving a bonus. That should help eliminate some skaters using the system (rather than their skating skills) to edge out their competition. Seems fair to me. Still....so much to wrap our heads around!

fred

Post by fred » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:14 pm

Side by Side spins, in the camel position can be very dangerous. Is that why they've been scrubbed?

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:20 pm

fred wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:14 pm
Side by Side spins, in the camel position can be very dangerous. Is that why they've been scrubbed?
All the changes are made on the advice of the technical committee, based on representations made to them from coaches/skaters/etc.