Glad to see all of you again

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
CarolH

Glad to see all of you again

Post by CarolH »

Hi Fred's Board friends:

I was somehow disconnected from the Board way back last Spring - probably during an electrical outing.
I tried to get re-enrolled but had great difficulty. Yesterday, and today, Fred finally was able to help me through the maze and I'm able to see all of you again. So "HI"!!

I got Gobsmacked with a health problem and spent most of Mar, April and May and a little of June
in the hospital.....a *little* surgery item called the Whipple Procedure (look it up if you wish to be medically educated) as it's pretty graphic to write about it.
Since then my recovery has been spotty ----- still very weak, lost 55 pounds(which I could afford) but now I'm looking very frail and skinny. Started Chemo, but after 6 weeks had to stop completely because I had every side effect known for the drug. So I'm now in recovery mode....Chemo brain has taken over, trying to eat is a major effort, but I'm determined to be ready for Skating Season (good thing I'm not one of the skaters as I wouldn't even be able to get the skates on!!).
I'll go and read the rest of the board and try and get caught up on skating news and views.
Carol
Kevin

Re: Glad to see all of you again

Post by Kevin »

Wonderful to see you back Carol, and so sorry to hear what you've been going through! No better way to feel better than to be around friends, and something you love!
fred

Post by fred »

Carol, I don't know if I remember it all now, but last spring I tried to do an update to the latest version of the board's software. 9i always have problems when I try to do that. It's the weakest part of the board and it has only worked right once in the history of the board. However I've always been able to reinstall from scratch and so a full restore from my backup.
To my great surprise I went to do the restore and it told me everything ran perfectly and I would find the board exactly the same as I had it before. Then I go to the Board Index page and nothing at all has been restored. I tried 3 times with the new software and assumed something must be wrong with it, So I tried with the old software and got the same. I created a totally separate database and board elsewhere on my site and it wouldn't restore either. So We started over from scratch and everybody had to renew and a few people are still coming back in, like yourself.
Now, I will not upgrade anymore, and there's very little point in keeping backups, because I can't restore them anyway. I may do a few in hopes that someday it will start to work again. I spent hours spread over a few days/weeks trying everything I could think of to get it to work. but no way was it going to. I asked the experts at phpBB and they suggested a few things and they eventually stops responding to me, which means they haven't a clue either.
So here we are on a board that can't be backed up or restored if anything goes wrong with it. As things stand now, I can only build a new board and have everyone start over from scratch. So if you have messages that you really like, copy them and store them on your own computers, then you might be able to copy them back when/if we get going again.
We had two people who were going to sign up last night. So far, only Carol has been able to join us, but while I had the gates open, 24 'bots, (and counting), have registered and had to be deleted.
So that's it, in a nutshell. Welcome everyone that's here.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

So good to have you back, Carol. Sorry about all the challenges you've been facing. Hopefully some skating will perk you up :)
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

so glad you are back, Carol. I hope slowly day by day you will recover your strength - by reading your post it seems your spirit has returned or has never really left you. I wish you a continued good recovery.