2012 Sexual assault allegation reportedly being investigated

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

2012 Sexual assault allegation reportedly being investigated

Post by Elizabeth »

Christine Brennan has reported in the USA Today that an allegation of a 2012 sexual assault in the USA is being investigated by Canada's Office of the Sport Integrity Commissioner (OSIC). This involves current Canadian champion ice dancer Nikolaj Sørensen.
The story is being re-reported on various other media.

Skate Canada's statement:

I have chosen not to share any of the details published in the article as the situation is under investigation.
happyheini

Re: 2012 Sexual assault allegation reportedly being investigated

Post by happyheini »

Bad timing, with Canadians just around he corner, there will speculations and distractions, not only for him but the whole event.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

happyheini wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:42 pm Bad timing, with Canadians just around he corner, there will speculations and distractions, not only for him but the whole event.
Indeed.

It is being reported today that the alleged victim's attorney is saying that Nik should be suspended from competition before Canadians.
fred

Post by fred »

This is very disturbing. I expect the investigation will get to the truth in this matter, and I know Skate Canada will react appropriately. Sorry to be so cliché about this.
If there's any truth about this, Nik should do the right thing and voluntarily withdraw. He knows the truth, good or bad. It will come to light in time.
It's like a sickness that infects our society and we need to find the cure. Skating, unfortunately, is not immune.
It's a sad situation either way. I've gone through mild shock and upset, very quickly and I'm settling down into a smoldering anger.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Although everyone is innocent until proven guilty, the allegations are very bad. It makes me sick to think of what this young woman has gone through if it is all true. Could there be other potential victims?! They made the right decision to withdraw from Canadian Nationals.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)