Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays

This is where we can talk about things not included in the forums above. Still board rules apply, so no hurtful posts are allowed Exchange recipes, talk about your hobbies, there's been some great discussions about Downton Abbey, and so on.
kittykins

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays

Post by kittykins »

Hi everyone and I hope you are having a wonderful Christmas Day. We've spread out our celebrations due to my sister's adult children having families or work schedules. Today we opened stockings at my Dad's place with 6 of us. It was a nice time by all. We met here due to my Dad's mobility issues, although he's doing well overall. We may watch The Nativity Story movie on Boxing Day or another one of our classic holiday favourites. My father actually saw A Christmas Carol with Alistair Sim at the theatre in Calgary when he was about 16 years old!! I went to a Christmas Eve service last night and enjoyed the Stars on Ice show last week.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Re: Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays

Post by Elizabeth »

I attended morning service for Advent 4 yesterday at my own parish and then virtually attended our 10 p.m. Christmas Eve service thanks to a YouTube live stream. This morning I attended service in the church where I "came out of retirement" to cover their office for 10 weeks (August-October) this year.

Before church I opened some gifts, talked to my cousin in England on the phone, and had my traditional Christmas morning "treat" - mince tarts with ice cream for breakfast :D

After church I had a light lunch of some homemade soup I had received as a gift and then joined friends for a lovely Christmas dinner, British style - roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, brussel sprouts, etc. There were some more mince tarts, dark fruitcake, and shortbread cookies.

The weather was very cooperative this year - not really Christmas-y but no impediments to travel.

I hope everyone has celebrated this winter break in their own way and has remained healthy.

Here's hoping for more justice and peace in our world for 2024.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Wow, Elizabeth, that's wonderful! What a lovely time!

I hope everyone has a wonderful 123123 New Year's Eve & Happy times in 2024!
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Post by fred »

I'm a little late with the Christmas Wishes & New Years ones as well. However I do wish them to everyone.
I came here today and noticed that there were 17 people accessing the site. We don't have nearly that many members, so there must be a lot of guests here. The last time I looked, it's one of the most active pages on my web site.
To all those people, I want to send an invitation, (ongoing invitation), to join the board. To cut back on a tremendous amount of spam new registrations are deactivated, but if you email me, I will create an account for you and email you back with the password. My address is slightly munged in the banner at the top of the page. Then you can change the password on your logging in to the site and it will be one I do not know. It would be great to see the number of members grow, instead of shrink. Spammers and bots shouldn't apply.
All the best in the New Year!