Frau Jutta Müller, Katarina Witt's coach has died at the age of 94

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

Frau Jutta Müller, Katarina Witt's coach has died at the age of 94

Post by Elizabeth »

The World Skating Hall of Fame member coached a who’s who of figure skating, including World Champions Katarina Witt, Anett Pötzsch and Jan Hoffmann.

From Robin Cousins on X (formerly Twitter):
She was a powerhouse coach but had a gentle side few people saw, always had a hello and hug for me. Also, don’t forget Gabby Seyfert was her daughter and first star student. The first woman to triple jump in Int’l competition
Translation of a German article:
» Her daughter reports that Jutta Müller, the "Iron Lady", passed away at a Senior Care Home near Berlin, aged 94.

» "Katarina Witt had addressed her mentor formally [with the formal, respectful »Sie« rather than the familiar »du«] until the very end, even though Müller was a sort of second mother to her. 'Everyone asks us: You still say »Sie«? Yes, and I always will! Frau Müller will always be Frau Müller for me. Out of respect! And nevertheless, we are very close.'"

» Müller was once quoted in a major newspaper on the dissolution of the East German sport system after Reunification: "'The Eastern sport system could not be adopted. That's now clear to me. But it nevertheless could have progressed. Actually I was distraught at that time, that this entire Super-Talent-Development-Apparatus disappeared overnight.'"

» Müller's home base was always Chemnitz (née Karl-Marx-Stadt), the same city where 🇩🇪Aljona Savchenko / Robin Szolkowy long trained. "She was particularly fond of 5-time world champs Savchenko & Szolkowy, whom she often visited during training. And when Savchenko had problems with the triple Salchow, it was Müller who supported her with advice."
Elizabeth

Re: Frau Jutta Müller, Katarina Witt's coach has died at the age of 94

Post by Elizabeth »

A documentary that shows how influential a coach she was from the 1960s to the early 1990s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhIUrkeMpNk
There are English subtitles.