PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics - Focus on FIGURE SKATING through Team Event

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

Re: PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics - Focus on FIGURE SKATING

Post by Elizabeth »

When you go to the "regular" ISU Schedule/Entries/Results page you can get detailed time schedules in Korean time - remember Korean is 14 hours ahead of ET. So 10 a.m./1000 h in PyeongChang is 8 p.m./2000 h the previous day in Ontario.

For example, for the first two events, the images below are from: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/owg2018/

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

It appears that I guessed correctly - you will find the link for the live stream of today's skating here: https://olympics.cbc.ca/video/todays-events/#d=1

You can also download and watch using the CBC app for your "smart" device, if you have one.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Thanks for all the good info.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Post by fred »

I wasn't going to get involved, but I'm watching for a little while,... pretending not to be involved. (:-))
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

way to go Fred!!! Just by keeping us together here you are involved and the more you watch a little while the more you will get excited about the events.
fred

Post by fred »

Part of me is wondering I I am going to be up at 5:30 AM for the opening ceremonies. That's about the time the two cats want to go out. But then I'd have to have a good sleep sometime during the day, because I have some musician friends giving a concert Friday night and I really want to be there. I will be there. I'll watch Duhamel & Radford tonight and then it's straight to bed.
fred

Post by fred »

You know, they've gone to Moguls and I'm going to catch up on the skating in the morning. Good Night.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I had to go out this evening but got home with time to spare to see the last warm-up group of pairs. CBC went to moguls, etc. while the ice was being resurfaced but things are about to get underway.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I was watching it this evening but I'll hold my comments as it seems you haven't seen the whole thing yet Elizabeth.

I don't know if I'll get up at 5:30, but will likely see some of it in later in the morning. It's repeated in prime time.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Post by fred »

I was up at 5:30 AM, a little dizzy, but not too bad. Then I realised that the times were Eastern times and not Atlantic so it's coming up to 6:30 AM and I sent an email to my friend with ALS. who is watching the Olympics as well, but less avidly than us skating fans. I've got a musical event to go to tonight. I'll need a good nap during the day today.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I woke up before the alarm and watched the Opening Ceremonies. Lots of figure skating connections but this was an important one :)

Like Fred, I may need a nap but also want to catch up on my recording from last evening - I know the results but want to see how things evolved.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I watched the team event last night, and wisely set my PVR for the opening ceremonies this morning. That way I could sit at a civilized hour (8:30am) with a cup of coffee and watch. I could also fast forward through most of the countries walking in and save a bit of time, as well as the commercial breaks.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Kevin wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:48 am I watched the team event last night, and wisely set my PVR for the opening ceremonies this morning. That way I could sit at a civilized hour (8:30am) with a cup of coffee and watch. I could also fast forward through most of the countries walking in and save a bit of time, as well as the commercial breaks.
Fortunately I had set both the CBC & NBC coverage to record last evening - for some reason the CBC one was "balky" when I went to watch it today. By watching the NBC coverage, I could put forward a theory on the results of young Nathan Chen - pressure/hype - they were following him with cameras & microphones from the time he entered the building, including when he almost went into the wrong washroom; pre-skating interview; lots of "fluff"; and multiple references to his prediction of skating at the 2018 Olympics from many years ago when he participated in an exhibition skate.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Good grief no wonder Nathan had trouble with his nerves...they need to back off. This sounds like the Japanese media. I have the feeling he'll rebound in his next skate. He's such a nice kid...I wish him well. Patrick. Why can't he land jumps now?? It makes no sense although the jumps he fell on were more difficult and the 3 axel has always been his nemesis, as it apparently has been with Nathan as well. I think he made all his rotations with the quad though and just didn't land it so got some points for it. Anyway, I know Canada has a very strong team but I don't want Patrick to wind up the goat...that would be awful. I just hope they can pull off the gold. I just have this sickening feeling that the USA will push us out again for a gold...Russia won it last time, yes I realize, but it doesn't look like they can manage it this time. I notice that none of the other Russian skaters were there to cheer on their teammates. The Canadians were the most enthusiastic and so cute really when they cheered.

I got up at about 7:30 and watched the rest of the Opening Ceremonies. I was half asleep and when I turned on the TV the Sportschek commercial was on and I was totally freaked out thinking North Korea was taking over the world or something. What a weird way to start watching! :lol:

Last night I tried to watch the live streaming but it wasn't working for me and said they were having technical difficulties. I was concerned about my Dad's dental appointment and the fact that he had to drive home in the dark (it all worked out well) so I was a bit distracted and just watched the TV coverage. Today when I was more in my right mind I realized that it was that it wasn't working well with my version of Internet Explorer, so I tried it with Google Chrome and it worked well. You might want to try that if you are having troubles viewing it.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Quotes from Patrick in the post-event news conference are not "inspiring" about his level of commitment and preparation:
It was a double-edged sword, [skating early in the day] felt like a normal day. For me, in the mornings, I’m always a little bit eager. There’s a lot of finesse that needs to happen, the morning isn’t the best time for finesse, esp for me
Today was a good example of good skates and bad skates, and that’s the premise of the team event; it’s hard for skaters to not think about individual performances, but I had such great support from my team
The results of the team event will be very much connected to who skates the other SPs and who skates the FSs for all the teams.

Stay tuned...
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

Patrick always seems to have all the answers why it happend afterwards, I have lost my patience and belief in him. I hope the get Keegan to skate the free, he doens't seem to have so many hang ups.

On a lighter note here is a video of what it's all about, enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Goy-rxDb6A
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

happyheini wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:38 pm Patrick always seems to have all the answers why it happend afterwards, I have lost my patience and belief in him. I hope the get Keegan to skate the free, he doens't seem to have so many hang ups.

On a lighter note here is a video of what it's all about, enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Goy-rxDb6A
I think both you ladies are thinking along the same lines as me thinking that Keegan might be a better choice for the FS. I'd say the team leader has some big decisions to make regarding which skater to skate the FS. I think before the event they should have them both do it, add up the points and see which has the best chance. Patrick got a gift in the SP...don't know that will happen in the Free if this happens again. I noticed that his skating skills were 2nd place marks across the board, second only to Uno. So, that may squeak him through...not sure.

Yuna Kim is just so stunningly beautiful and an incredible athlete. She was definitely the right choice to light the cauldron. Good for her. I just loved the ice at the top...just wonderful.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

No skating today but tomorrow evening (Canadian time) it's back on again and we now have the draws up for the short dance and for the ladies short on the Schedule/Entries/Results page and the Olympics page: The time schedules, in Korean time, for each of these can be found from the links on the ISU results page: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/owg2018/

After the completion of all the short programs the top 5 national teams will move forward to the free skate portion of the team event, beginning with the pairs.

The draws for the pairs FS will be posted here: http://www.isuresults.com/results/seaso ... SEG014.HTM and https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/game ... 003pr-.htm

And a summary of the rules and points for the team event FYI (thanks to Jackie Wong of Rockerskating): Image
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

happyheini wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:38 pm Patrick always seems to have all the answers why it happend afterwards, I have lost my patience and belief in him. I hope the get Keegan to skate the free, he doens't seem to have so many hang ups.
I tend to agree with you Heini. If he had said, "Well, I really did not even bother to train for the Olympics until the end of November while others had been toiling relentlessly for the past year" then it would have been closer to the truth. Excuses are not reasons, yet Patrick is full of excuses. One only needs to look at how both he & Tessa & Scott handled their returns to competition after hiatus when the sport had upped it's game. Virture/Moir embraced it, challenged themselves with a complete reinvention and 150% commitment to the goal. Patrick on the other hand, appeared to resist change, and turn his back on outside influence, while feeling he knew best. The results speak for themselves. Sport is not esoteric - it requires dedication and training and humility to be successful.
fred

Post by fred »

Yes, Patrick has the skills, but not the intensity & drive, (assuming he wasn't drugged or something), but for me that's OK. I met him & talked with him briefly and he's a very nice person. He's got his own priorities, apparently and he won't get all excited about his accomplishments & I think he won't be too upset over his failures either. Of course maybe I'm all wrong. :roll:
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I agree with Kevin's assessment. Two different examples of making a "come back" - one with determination, drive and purpose; the other sort of lackadaisical, just for the experience of 3 Olympics :(

What bothers me, Fred, is how Patrick, at the end of Canadians in Vancouver, talked all about the Team Event and how he wanted to skate both parts of it to contribute to the Canadian team's success. If it was that important, why wasn't he better prepared both physically & mentally?

Will we see Patrick skate for the team in the FS? Will Keegan be given a chance? Apparently the latter participated in the team event practice window yesterday (our time). Only time will tell.

By the way, it has been the US plan all along for Adam Rippon to skate the FS - he and Nathan Chen train under the same coach and that plan was revealed by the coach during the early practices - it was an agreement that they had made between the three of them.
fred

Post by fred »

Oh, I doidn't know there was any issue about Patrick skating in the FS. I just assumed he would. I wonder if jet lag was a problem. Does anyone know when he arrived in Pyeong Chang? I would expect his second skate would be much better than his first. Well we'll see how it goes.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Patrick was among the first of our skaters to arrive in PyeongChang and he would have had a few hours less time change than most, flying from BC.

Here's an article about the strategy of the Team Event - it was written before things got underway: http://ottawasun.com/sports/olympics/st ... f8cafc75a3
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

After marching in the Opening Ceremonies and having some practices on the Olympic ice, Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier are off to Seoul to continue practicing for a few days before the ice dance competition begins according to Carol Lane on Twitter.

Obviously this means we won't see them in the Team Event, not even in the "cheering section".
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Assuming the big guns from the other countries in the men's free are:

Kolyda
Rippon
Uno
Han (China) or Rizzo (Italy

I can honestly say that Keegan Messing would not be able to compete with these guys even on his best day. His skating skills simply aren't there. He would finish 5th without question. I think it will definitely be Patrick, because if he has a good (or relatively decent) skate, he can finish much higher than 5th in this particular group of men. There is potential to win this section, or finish second, if Nathan is not in the mix. Keegan simply does not have those odds.