Another stay in Hospital, (but good for me).

This is where we can talk about things not included in the forums above. Still board rules apply, so no hurtful posts are allowed Exchange recipes, talk about your hobbies, there's been some great discussions about Downton Abbey, and so on.
fred

Another stay in Hospital, (but good for me).

Post by fred »

I was having trouble breathing. It seemed I was only using the top ~10% of my lungs. So I got on the electric bike & headed to my doctor. Upon arriving there, May 6th, I swung my leg over the tail end of the electric bike and it caught on the cable that I use to lock up the bike, (looped around my heel). It was stopping me from putting that foot down and I couldn't move backwards either. I fell over backwards, with the bike & all. I remember my head hitting the concrete, and knew that if I didn't have the helmet on I'd be unconscious or dead. It really smashed hard, but with the good helmet, my head was amazingly comfortable throughout the whole fall.
A friend & the doctor got me up to his office and my lower back was exploding with pain. I had an exam and my doctor drove me home, (he has a pick-up). One of the nicest people I know, by the way!
I spent three days at home, and checked my blood oxygen levels, 82%. Called the doctor and he said to go to the hospital.
I suspected water in my lungs, but that wasn't the case.
After a few days of X-rays & CAT scans they diagnosed Congestive Heart Failure. My mother had that. Thankfully there are things they can do about it. I was on a no salt diet with little sugar and of course I was still vegetarian, and a good dose of diuretics. The weight started to fall off me faster than I ever imagined, because it was fluid, not fat.
Eventually I got tired of the hospital and had some bad experiences so I asked the doctor there, not my family doctor, for a discharge, and with a second of reflection he said "Yes." I think that was the 13th of May.
Now I am continuing the diet and I've lost 44 lbs. I am light weight again, (relatively speaking), and my back pain is under control, although still present. I am on the bike again, which makes shopping easier. I've also got 14 tomato plants stated in large pots. Daily care for them.
I'll continue to loose weight for a while and we'll see how low I can go. As of yesterday I was 257 lbs. If I can get down to 220 and the back continues to heal, I'll be feeling pretty good.

The are fires in N.S. right now and over 200 homes have been damaged, (over 150 completely destroyed), but they are quite some distance from here. We could all use some rain!
happyheini

Re: Another stay in Hospital, (but good for me).

Post by happyheini »

Well Fred, aren't you the bounce back guy. I am glad your experience turned out for the better in the long run. Keep up the good work and stay out of trouble for a while, please.
fred

Post by fred »

I'll do what I can. We had a little rain today and more forecast for tomorrow and the following days.
My big event today is that I now have a heat pump, and it's working very well. It should help out with my energy footprint.
Back is sore, though. I may go and lie down.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Sorry to hear about your "challenges", Fred, but grateful that you've been able to get on top of things again.

As you might imagine, Fred, I've been watching the NS fires carefully - I had friends and relatives living in/very close to the areas involved, particularly near St. Margaret's Bay. I have been among those praying for rain to help those working so hard to control things.

Take care and keep on improving!
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear this Fred, but glad you are on the mend and doing so well now!!
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)