ISU World Championships 2024 - Montreal, QC - March 18-24

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

Re: ISU World Championships 2024 - Montreal, QC - March 18-24

Post by Elizabeth »

A statement from Mark Gorodnitsky 🇮🇱

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The detailed practice and competition schedule has now been posted: https://montreal2024.com/wp-content/upl ... EN_Fix.pdf

It is dated March 3rd so it should reflect the current status with respect to entries, but, as always, as "subject to change".

Overview (all times EDT):
Wednesday, March 20
12:00 Pairs short program
17:00 Ladies short program

Thursday, March 21
11:10 Mens short program
18:00 Pairs free skate

Friday, March 22
11:20 Rhythm dance
18:00 Ladies free skate

Saturday, March 23
13:30 Free dance
18:00 Mens free skate

Sunday, March 24
14:00 Exhibition gala
Last edited by Elizabeth on Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Breaking news - from Ted Barton at the end of the ISU Jr. Worlds Gala - Mark Hanretty will be doing commentary on the ISU YouTube stream for Worlds.

Mark is currently competing in the "Dancing on Ice" series on TV in the UK - this week is the semi-final show with the final next week. He's already been doing some of his pre-Worlds preparation in his "off time", according to Instagram posts.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Worlds will be streamed on YouTube and should be available in Canada with Mark Hanretty's commentary. If it's not available directly, you might need to use a VPN :(

Although there is nothing currently showing regarding streaming, I believe that CBC Sports and CBC Gem will provide streaming, presumably a re-stream of the ISU coverage.

According to their schedule, CBC TV will be providing a limited amount of TV coverage of Worlds:
Sat Mar 23 - 4:00 p.m. - CBC Sports: ISU World Figure Skating Championships - Montreal
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

CBC Sports has now posted information for the streaming of Worlds: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/streaming-sch ... re+Skating
It seems incomplete as it does not yet show any of the free skate/dance events nor the Gala.

Streaming Schedule, filtered by: figure skating

Wed Mar 20 - 1:00 p.m. - ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2024 - Pairs Short Program
Wed Mar 20 - 6:00 p.m. - ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2024 - Women's Short Program

Thu Mar 21 - 12:10 p.m. - ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2024 - Men's Short Program

Fri Mar 22 - 12:20 p.m. - ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2024 - Ice Dance Rhythm Dance

Sat Mar 23 - 4:00 p.m. - CBC Sports: ISU World Figure Skating Championships - Montreal [NOTE - Same as the TV schedule]
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Skate Canada's skaters who will compete at Worlds were practicing at the Bell Centre in Montreal today and it was a "media day".

Some photos have been posted on X (formerly Twitter) both of the practices and media interviews. Here are a few, in no particular order:

Piper & Paul
Image Image

Marjorie & Zach
Image Image

Maddie Schizas
Image Image

Wesley Chiu
Image Image

Roman Sadovsky
Image Image

Lia & Trennt
Image Image

Deanna & Max
Image Image

Kelly Ann & Loucas

Unfortunately, not all the focus was on the preparations for Worlds. As you might expect at least some of the media asked many of the skaters about the allegations that are still being investigated. CBC Sports has published a story: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/wint ... -1.7135643
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Did you know that...

... the last time the World Championship were held in Montreal, the legendary Sonja Henie of Norway won the gold medal in the Ladies event?

That was in 1932.

Canada's Montgomery Wilson took Silver in the Men's event and his team mate (and sister) Constance Wilson-Samuel took bronze in the Ladies event; Montgomery and Constance placed 6th in the Pairs event. Ice Dance was not yet included in the World Championships at that time.
For more on the 1932 Worlds, the competitors, the medalists, the judges, etc. see Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1932_Worl ... mpionships

For more on Sonja Henie's life and career check out Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonja_Henie
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Jackie Wong (RockerSkating) has done a bit of promotion of Montreal for Skate Canada ahead of Worlds :)
https://skatecanada.ca/2024/03/insider- ... -montreal/
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

Nice, can't wait to come back after some 10 years or so.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Four years ago today...

... that's when the announcement of the cancellation of 2020 Worlds in Montreal was made.

Sadly, I remember receiving that news (which I had been somewhat anticipating) which put a halt to my preparations for travel, beginning with the cancellation of my feline companion's stay at "the spa".

That cancellation, for many of us, marked the "real" beginning of so many changes in what we considered normal. Many lives were lost and others changed forever by the pandemic.

Some degree of normalcy has been slowly returning but the nasty virus which caused all of this has managed to mutate and continues to be a concern.

Attitudes toward vaccination against many diseases have sadly changed in the interim, and we are seeing a return to outbreaks of diseases of concern.

I am looking forward to Worlds 2024, of course, but I'm not sure if it is with the same level of anticipation as I had in 2020.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

There has been a change in the Chinese entry in Ice Dance - Wang/Liu have been replaced by Chen/Xing.

The current list of entries:
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Just one week to go...

Practices begin on Monday, March 18th.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Skate Canada's press release today: https://skatecanada.ca/2024/03/skate-ca ... pionships/
Skate Canada Welcomes the World to Montreal for 2024 ISU World Figure Skating Championships
March 12, 2024/by Skate Canada

MONTREAL, QC (March 12, 2024) – Skate Canada is excited to welcome the world to the Bell Centre in Montreal, Que., from March 18-24 for the 2024 ISU World Figure Skating Championships. Marking the culmination of the 2023-2024 figure skating season, the event features the 200 best figure skaters from over 40 countries in men’s, women’s, pair, and ice dance.

All of last year’s World Champions are back to contend for the podium once again including men’s champion Shoma Uno, women’s champion Kaori Sakamoto, and pair champions Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara – all from Japan, as well as ice dance champions Madison Chock and Evan Bates from the USA.

Canadian athletes will also be vying for spots on the podium in front of family and friends. Deanna Stellato-Dudek and Maxime Deschamps have their sights set on a gold medal in the pair competition after a very successful international season that sees them currently ranked second in the world. Last year’s bronze medallists, Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier, are coming off a gold medal at the ISU Four Continents FIgure Skating Championships and a bronze medal at the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final.

“For our athletes, competing at a home Worlds may only happen once in their career and will be an experience they will never forget,” said Mike Slipchuk, High Performance Director for Skate Canada. “We are excited to have a team that is ready to take on the best in the world and who are also among the best.”

The Opening Ceremony will kick off the event on Wednesday, March 20, and will feature performances by Quebec-based synchronized skating teams Les Suprêmes and Nova, and by former National Team member and social media sensation, Elladj Baldé. The Montreal-based chamber choir Seraphim will also perform the national anthem to officially open the week-long event.

Fans will also get to experience a one-of-a-kind Fan Festival at the Cour Rio Tinto right beside the Bell Centre, where food trucks, booths, and family-friendly activities will be held throughout the week. Competitions will also be streamed on a giant screen so as not to miss any of the action.

The week will close out with the Exhibition Gala on Sunday, March 24. A fan favourite event, the Gala will feature the event’s medallists, as well as performances by Patrick Chan, Canada’s most decorated male figure skater and an ambassador for the event, three-time World Champion Elvis Stojko, and recently retired two-time Olympian Keegan Messing. They will be joined once again by Elladj Baldé and Les Suprêmes, with special entertainment from the Montreal Symphony Orchestra and Cirque Éloize.

Tickets for the event are still available via ticketmaster.ca. Fans can also watch the action via CBC Sports.
Note the reference to CBC Sports coverage - here is the link to the TV coverage: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/streaming-sch ... re+Skating [Note that it says "streaming" in the link but the page says TV Schedule. Based on what I see in comparison to the skating schedule, some of it will be tape delayed.]

This what is currently listed - be sure to check your local listings (I presume this is all Eastern DST):
Wed Mar 20 - 12:00 p.m. - ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2024 - Pairs Short Program
Wed Mar 20 - 5:00 p.m. - ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2024 - Women's Short Program
Wed Mar 20 - 8:00 p.m. - CBC Sports Late Night: ISU World Figure Skating Championships - Montreal
Thu Mar 21 - 11:10 a.m. - ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2024 - Men's Short Program
Thu Mar 21 - 8:00 p.m. - CBC Sports: ISU World Figure Skating Championships - Montreal
Fri Mar 22 - 11:20 a.m. - ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2024 - Ice Dance Rhythm Dance
Fri Mar 22 - 8:00 p.m. - CBC Sports: ISU World Figure Skating Championships - Montreal
Sat Mar 23 - 3:00 p.m. - CBC Sports: ISU World Figure Skating Championships - Montreal
Sun Mar 24 - 1:30 a.m. - CBC Sports Late Night: ISU World Figure Skating Championships - Montreal
Sun Mar 24 - 12:00 p.m. - CBC Sports: ISU World Figure Skating Championships - Montreal

This is what I see for the Streaming schedule (despite the link saying TV): https://www.cbc.ca/sports/tv-schedule
Wed Mar 20 - 8:00 p.m. - CBC Sports Late Night: ISU World Figure Skating Championships - Montreal
Thu Mar 21 - 8:00 p.m. - CBC Sports: ISU World Figure Skating Championships - Montreal
Fri Mar 22 - 8:00 p.m. - CBC Sports: ISU World Figure Skating Championships - Montreal
Sat Mar 23 - 3:00 p.m. - CBC Sports: ISU World Figure Skating Championships - Montreal
Sun Mar 24 - 1:30 a.m. - CBC Sports Late Night: ISU World Figure Skating Championships - Montreal
Sun Mar 24 - 12:00 p.m. - CBC Sports: ISU World Figure Skating Championships - Montreal

I haven't seen an official announcement from CBC but I've heard rumours of Kurt commentary. This may mean that the ISU YouTube stream will be blocked (or require a VPN) in Canada. Skate Canada owns the ISU broadcast rights, I believe.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I believe that someone (at CBC) has confused the streaming & TV schedules - my TV guide gives me the following information:

March 20 - Late night (actually early on March 21)- 12:30 a.m.
March 21 - 8 p.m.
March 22 - 8 p.m.
March 23 - 3 p.m. plus 1:30 a.m. late night, early morning on the 24th
March 24 - 12 noon or 1 p.m.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Joannie Rochette, Worlds Ambassador (along with Patrick Chan) radio interview: https://www.iheart.com/podcast/962-the- ... 158320487/
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Elizabeth wrote: ↑Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:35 am Four years ago today...

... that's when the announcement of the cancellation of 2020 Worlds in Montreal was made.

Sadly, I remember receiving that news (which I had been somewhat anticipating) which put a halt to my preparations for travel, beginning with the cancellation of my feline companion's stay at "the spa".

That cancellation, for many of us, marked the "real" beginning of so many changes in what we considered normal. Many lives were lost and others changed forever by the pandemic.

Some degree of normalcy has been slowly returning but the nasty virus which caused all of this has managed to mutate and continues to be a concern.

Attitudes toward vaccination against many diseases have sadly changed in the interim, and we are seeing a return to outbreaks of diseases of concern.

I am looking forward to Worlds 2024, of course, but I'm not sure if it is with the same level of anticipation as I had in 2020.
I suppose that's the feeling for all of us. I'm also faced with flying with an airline that is good but different for me, as Westjet does not to fly to Montreal from my location at present (will apparently change next month). I'm looking forward to it, but it's hard to forget the disappointment of 2020 no doubt. Most of us will likely wear masks this time, but probably wouldn't have pre-pandemic. The Asian fans have for years though. Well, Elizabeth we will likely get more excitement when we are actually THERE and see the first skater on the ice. I think with such a great disappointment 4 years ago, we still have that natural feeling of hesitation so as to not set ourselves up for disappointment again...self preservation! See you there hopefully! :) Safe travels!
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

An interview with Wesley Chiu on CTV Vancouver as he prepares to leave for Worlds as Canadian Champion: https://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2884509

Some of the Canadian skaters participated in pre-Worlds media phone interviews. Bev Smith is posting on some of them: Sneak peak at some of the Worlds merchandise, thanks to some of the CDN skaters
Image Image

Image Image
Last edited by Elizabeth on Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

An UPDATE on the TV & streaming situation - I believe that the information below is the planned CBC Sports TV coverage which should be found here: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/tv-schedule The last time I checked, that link appeared to show the streaming scheduled rather than the TV schedule but I have checked the CBC Program Guide as well as my own online TV guide to come up with the information below.
I understand that Kurt Browning and Meagan Duhamel will be doing commentary along with at least Brenda Irving. Some of the coverage is sure to be tape delayed as there is Skating on Saturday night but CBC has to cover hockey.

As always, check your local listings to confirm the schedule in your area. What is below is EDT:

Wednesday, 20 March – 8 p.m. ?? - CBC Sports Late Night: ISU World Figure Skating Championships - Montreal
NOTE: my CBC program schedule says this will be at 12:30 a.m. on the 21st
https://www.cbc.ca/programguide/daily/2 ... 0349506896
Thursday, 21 March – 8 p.m. - CBC Sports: ISU World Figure Skating Championships – Montreal
Friday, 22 March - 8 p.m. - CBC Sports: ISU World Figure Skating Championships – Montreal
Saturday, 23 March – 3 p.m. - CBC Sports: ISU World Figure Skating Championships - Montreal
Sunday, 24 March – 1:30 a.m. - CBC Sports Late Night: ISU World Figure Skating Championships – Montreal
Sunday, 24 March – 12:00 p.m. - CBC Sports: ISU World Figure Skating Championships – Montreal

It appears that the short programs and rhythm dance which take place during the day will only be live streamed, perhaps with highlights included in the evening programs. What is not yet clear is whether it will be CBC commentators on those streams or whether it will be a re-streaming of the ISU YouTube video with commentary by Mark Hanretty. It is also not yet clear if the ISU YouTube channel will be blocked in Canada for those without a VPN.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The list of entries for Men has now been modified for ISR with Mark Grodnitsky confirmed as the entry rather than the alternate: https://results.isu.org/events/wc2024_Men.htm

Mark GORODNITSKY ISR 17
Lev VINOKUR ISR 17 S
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Based on the current entries and the world standings of the skaters/teams, these are the anticipated warm-up groups for the short programs/rhythm dance:
Men’s Warm-Up Groups 5, 5, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6
1 – Carrillo, Kessler, Zlatkov, Ar Vlasenko, Daniliants
2 – Guarino Sabate, Reshtenko, Demirboga, Virtanen, Lewton Brain
3 – Economides, Hy Kim, Zandron, Samoilov, Shmuratko, Starostin
4 – Litvintsev, Gorodnitsky, S Lee, Sadovsky, Appleby, Nordeback
5 – Frangipani, Brown, Jin, Chiu, Hagara, A Selevko
6 – Britschgi, Egadze, Vasiljevs, Memola, Shaidorov, Pulkinen
7 – Malinin, Siao Him Fa, Uno, Kagiyama, Miura, J Cha

Women’s Warm-Up Groups 5, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6
1 – Gozhva, Risa Gomez, Gracheva, Variakojyte, Selmekova
2 – Langerbaur, Seniuk, Povey, Brezinova, Isaev, Pelkonen
3 – S Joos, Mikutina, Kaiser, Ting, Taljegard, Feigin
4 – You, Glenn, Repond, Schild, Stepcenko, Sauter
5 – Kurakova, Yoshida, Pinzarrone, Chiba, Petrokina, Schizas
6 – Sakamoto, Hendrickx, Levito, H Lee, Gubanova, C Kim

Pairs Warm-Up Groups – 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4
1 – Holichenko/Darenskyi, Schaller/Mayr, Chtchetinina/Wozniak, Simioli/Zarbo
2 – Peng/Wang, Crafoord/Crafoord, Vaananen/Clerici Gamez/Korovin,
3 – Kam/O’Shea, Laurin/Ethier, Vaipan-Law/Digby, Metelkina/Berulava
4 – Golubeva/Giotopoulos Moore, Pereira/Michaud, Danilova/Tsiba, Hase/Volodin
5 – Pavlova/Sviatchenko, Plazas/Fernandez, Chan/Howe, Beccari/Guarise
6 – Conti/Macii, Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps, Miura/Kihara, Hocke/Kunkel

Ice Dance Warm-Up Groups 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5
1 – Reitan/Majorov, Carhart/Kolosovskyi, Oliver/Bojanowski, Jakucs/Galli
2 – Holubtsova/Bielobrov, Ramanauskaite/Kizala, Mazingue/Gaidajenko, Chen/Xing
3 – Simova/Aksenov, Smart/Dieck, Nosovitskaya/Nosovitskiy, Zehnder/Sieber
4 – Bekker/Hernandez, Komatsubara/Koleto, Manni/Roethlisberger, Ignateva/Szemko
5 – Soucisse/Firus, Bratti/Somerville, Janse van Rensburg/van Steffan, Davis/Smolkin, Orihara/Pirinen
6 – Demougeot/Le Mercier, Taschlerova/Taschler, Lim/Quan, Mrazkova/Mrazek, Harris/Chan
7 – Reed/Ambrulevicius, Lopareva/Brissaud, Lajoie/Lagha, Carreira/Ponomarenko, Turkkila/Versluis
8 – Guignard/Fabbri, Fear/Gibson, Chock/Bates, Gilles/Poirier, Fournier Beaudry/Soerensen

All of the fields will be reduced after the short programs/rhythm dance to those who qualify for the free programs.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

"That Skating Show" - Worlds preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8FegIqQ4gs
The 2024 figure skating world championships are upon us and 'That Figure Skating Show', has everything you need to know to get ready including a season recap and Asher Hill's Podium Picks!
The practice groups/music rotations for the Main Rink and Practice Rink from Monday through Wednesday: https://results.isu.org/schedules/WC202 ... ionAll.pdf
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The rink is ready :)

happyheini

Post by happyheini »

Wow!
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Jackie Wong (RockerSkating) has arrived in Montreal - he posted from the airport and the arena :)

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Skate Canada's overview of the arena, ready for the practices to being tomorrow. On the right hand side you can see the Kiss 'n Cry area.

Europe on Ice's photo of the Kiss 'n Cry area - obviously they will add some seating and probably some flowers :D