The Death of Queen Elizabeth II

This is where we can talk about things not included in the forums above. Still board rules apply, so no hurtful posts are allowed Exchange recipes, talk about your hobbies, there's been some great discussions about Downton Abbey, and so on.
Elizabeth

The Death of Queen Elizabeth II

Post by Elizabeth »

It was difficult maintaining my attention on the skating from Riga today once I saw the "health" bulletin about the Queen this morning. I felt certain that her demise was imminent. Sadly that proved to be true :(

I know that many don't support the Monarchy but for many others Queen Elizabeth II has been a constant in our lives for a very long time.

I first saw her in person in November 1951 in Halifax - I was standing with my mother outside the fence of the Lieutenant Governor's residence waiting to catch a glimpse of the then Princess Elizabeth & her husband as they left to attend a State Dinner. I remember watching the TV broadcast of her 1953 Coronation on a small black & white TV while visiting friends in the USA. Years later I learned that the film was actually from the CBC as they had arranged to develop it aboard the plane flying back to Canada and it was the earliest film available to US TV :)

The Queen had a remarkable life which did not start off with an expectation of taking the throne, that changed with the abdication of her uncle. A very long and eventful reign.

Her obituary from the BBC: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-61605149

Now we have King Charles III and lots of changes to look forward to.
kittykins

Re: The Death of Queen Elizabeth II

Post by kittykins »

Thanks for posting Elizabeth. I have been quite devastated to learn of Queen Elizabeth's passing and she was a great lady. I've been horribly worried about her since her weight loss before Christmas. During her Platinum Jubilee, the singing of God Save the Queen seemed like a good-bye and her Majesty also had tears in her eyes. I've thought she probably knew something we didn't about her health. Still, I hoped she'd rally and last for a a couple more years. One thinks of her mother, but living to over 100 is not an easy feat for most people. She said she didn't care about records, but I was hopeful she'd pass King Louis of France. It has been pointed out that he was too young to be an active king and was in a regency situation at the beginning, so technically the Queen has been the longest active monarch of all time.

When my father was 17 he wrote a poem after King George died and it won second place in the Calgary Fine Arts competition out of 100's of applicants. So, I think that piqued my interest in the Queen at a very young age. During Manitoba's Centennial in 1970, the Queen rode down the street and my sister and I were standing on the side of the road waving. She did her Queen wave. It was all very quick as she passed by, but I can say I was about a metre from her, haha. My sister and I sort of felt, "That's it??" because it was all so fast.

King Charles...well, I think he's improved to some degree and learned through his past mistakes. I wish him the best in his reign, but this will be a lot to get used to. I can't imagine having to do this immediately after one's mother died, and Queen Elizabeth would totally understand.

I have books around here and even a Viewmaster set with pictures during one of her Canadian visits. Mostly I just feel very sad indeed.

Her famous declaration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOGOOlfW-B4
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

And in case you thought there was no connection to skating:
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II (1926-2022)

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II was admired and much loved across the world. Her dedication and devotion as Head of State was truly remarkable.

There is a long historical connection to ice skating for the Royal family with a young Princess Elizabeth taking lessons at the Park Lane Ice Club.

Her Majesty served as Royal Patron of our National Governing Body from 1952. For those skaters who have been fortunate enough to have met her over the years, myself included, she conveyed warmth, passion and a genuine interest in our wonderful sport.

Her service to the country shall never be forgotten.

Our thoughts and prayers are with all members of the Royal Family at this difficult time.

Robin Cousins MBE, President of British Ice Skating
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Elizabeth wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:42 am And in case you thought there was no connection to skating:

:lol: Good work Elizabeth!!! Thanks for sharing!

I was going to add that my paternal grandmother was born the very last day of the Victorian Era, the day before Queen Victoria died. Now we are at the end of the Elizabethian Era and it seem surreal. I'm not sure what the Charles Era will be called. His name isn't quite as flexible with the ian suffix/ending, lol. I'm glad the Queen liked skating.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

kittykins wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:08 am
Elizabeth wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:42 am And in case you thought there was no connection to skating:

:lol: Good work Elizabeth!!! Thanks for sharing!

I was going to add that my paternal grandmother was born the very last day of the Victorian Era, the day before Queen Victoria died. Now we are at the end of the Elizabethian Era and it seem surreal. I'm not sure what the Charles Era will be called. His name isn't quite as flexible with the ian suffix/ending, lol. I'm glad the Queen liked skating.
I believe it is being referred to as the "Carolean era" on the BBC. That derives from "Carolus", the Latin word for Charles and is consistent with Charles II.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

More on The Queen & skating from research done for the Skate Guard Blog: http://skateguard1.blogspot.com/2022/09 ... queen.html

There is a particular focus on her interactions with Canadian skaters (with some photos) but there is also information about her own skating as a young girl.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

A BBC article as Torvill & Dean share memories of The Queen whom they met on numerous occasions: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-not ... e-62878841

This is a photo tweeted by Jayne & Chris themselves
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Elizabeth wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:30 pm
I believe it is being referred to as the "Carolean era" on the BBC. That derives from "Carolus", the Latin word for Charles and is consistent with Charles II.
Wow, well done! :) That makes sense, and I hadn't thought of using the Latin.

Thanks for the info. about her enjoying skating and meeting Torvill and Dean! I wonder why Princess Margaret wasn't allowed to do it too. Perhaps it was her age?
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

kittykins wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:49 pm
Elizabeth wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:30 pm
Wow, well done! :) That makes sense, and I hadn't thought of using the Latin.

Thanks for the info. about her enjoying skating and meeting Torvill and Dean! I wonder why Princess Margaret wasn't allowed to do it too. Perhaps it was her age?
Well the cipher E II R uses the Latin - the R stands for Regina. I presume the new cipher will be C III R (for Rex).

Based on the time period, I'm sure Margaret was still considered too young.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The new royal cypher for King Charles III has been revealed as explained in this article: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-63034255

The version for Scotland