Travelling a little soon.

This is where we can talk about things not included in the forums above. Still board rules apply, so no hurtful posts are allowed Exchange recipes, talk about your hobbies, there's been some great discussions about Downton Abbey, and so on.
fred

Travelling a little soon.

Post by fred »

I'm getting down to Kitchener, hopefully. Normally I wouldn't take a plane, but the train with meals involved too many changes and costs a fortune. I know I'd like the train, and it's much more Green, but this will be better. I'll get to Toronto and catch the Go train from there. My friend, Gordon, was my lab partner in high school and he's having his 50th wedding anniversary on the 20th of this month. I'll go down there and spend the weekend with them. Hmmm what would be a good present to take?
happyheini

Re: Travelling a little soon.

Post by happyheini »

Good to hear you will be going to visit an old friend. Do you have photos of him and possibly his wife? You could put it in a nice frame or on coffee mugs or whatever. It wouldn't be too expensive but a great memory. Have a great and safe trip.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I agree with Heini on all counts :D
fred

Post by fred »

No I don't have such a photo. I have one of him back in high school, If I could find it.

He was a professor of Chemical Engineering, so I could do something with a periodic table of the elements, but that would kind of leave his wife out. That would not be good. I'll think of something.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I hope you have a good time Fred! I think anything GOLD is appropriate for a 50th anniversary gift. When my parents reached their 55th, the Emerald anniversary, I gave them a frame with 55 on it. My Dad put their wedding picture in it, so I don' t think you have to have a picture beforehand. A $50 gift card or $50 might be another idea.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Post by fred »

Thank-you. I'll see what I can do. I don't actually have piles of gold lying around, ;) but I might find something significant. If there was time I could do them a painting, but I'll have to probably buy something. I'll be flying to Toronto on the 20th, and have to get from the Island Airport to Unon Station,and somehow catch the GO train to Kitchener. Coming back on Monday, the 23rd, by the reverse same route. The arrangements are a nightmare.
I can manage the flight from Haliax to Toronto, but I have no idea how to get from there to the train station, or what I have to do to get on the Go Train. Do I need reservations? Do they sell individual, one time fares? They have a phone number but the phone company tells me I can't connect to it from my area. They have a place where I can send them a message online but they say a response can take 14 days. I'll hopefully be home before then. I'll just have to leap into the waters not knowing how deep they are and trust everything will be OK.
It's sort of a dry-run for the trip to Cuba the following month, Nov.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

There is a shuttle service to and from Billy Bishop Airport (the "island airport") from across the street from Union Station - the information is here: https://www.billybishopairport.com/the- ... s/services
fred

Post by fred »

Thanks Elizabeth. That takes some of the mystery out of the trip.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

fred wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:41 pm Thank-you. I'll see what I can do. I don't actually have piles of gold lying around, ;) but I might find something significant. If there was time I could do them a painting, but I'll have to probably buy something. I'll be flying to Toronto on the 20th, and have to get from the Island Airport to Unon Station,and somehow catch the GO train to Kitchener. Coming back on Monday, the 23rd, by the reverse same route. The arrangements are a nightmare.
No, not real gold, just gold in colour, lol.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Post by fred »

Well I went, and I took the plane, Turbo prop DASH-8. Unless you're a very tiny person I'd recommend almost any other aircraft. It was 3 hours for the flight, but about 15 hours foR the connections and runing through airports trying to find where the GO Train was . Miles of terminal tunnels. No food. It was a nightmare. I came home by train, and that was a different kind of nightmare, but at least it had some nice meals, good vegetarian options. Then I found that I had COVID, from being cold, exhausted and stressed. My immune system must have been at an all time low.
I was going to go to Cuba later in Nov., but I've cancelled that. I think I may stay at home and find another cat to look after. I'll give it a week or two.
I hope you're all doing well. Did you hear that Mathew Perry has passed away. He's the first of the FRIENDS to leave us. A great talent and he will be missed.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Sorry to hear of your travel travails, Fred.

Take care and feel better soon!
fred

Post by fred »

Thanks, Elizabeth.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

What did you wind up getting for a 50th anniversary gift?!
fred

Post by fred »

Oh, Sorry to be so late with this. I got them a gold coloured centre piece and a matching wall hanging. When I got there, I found out that they had asked that no one bring a present, so it was a bit awkward, but they have since told me that they found a perfect place for it in their dining room.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

fred wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:00 pm Oh, Sorry to be so late with this. I got them a gold coloured centre piece and a matching wall hanging. When I got there, I found out that they had asked that no one bring a present, so it was a bit awkward, but they have since told me that they found a perfect place for it in their dining room.
Good for you Fred! That was a perfect gift, and it's fortunate you didn't know that they asked for no gifts. I always wonder about that and the etiquette around saying that in the first place. I do understand that people don't want too many things or their guests to feel obligated, but I'm the type to like bringing a gift.
fred

Post by fred »

Yeah. It wasn't that I didn't know. I believe he told me and I forgot. I'm getting like that in my old age.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

fred wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:25 pm Yeah. It wasn't that I didn't know. I believe he told me and I forgot. I'm getting like that in my old age.
I know it's a common practice, but I guess I find it impolite for people to ask for no gifts...assuming people were going to give you one in the first place, lol.