After retiring at age 16 - Alysa Liu, USA plans to return

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

After retiring at age 16 - Alysa Liu, USA plans to return

Post by Elizabeth »

Alysa announced her retirement on her Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/p/CcIvaQlvpZd/
heyyyyy so i’m here to announce that i am retiring from skating🤭🤭 i started skating when i was 5 so that’s about 11 years on the ice and it’s been an insane 11 years. a lot of good and a lot of bad but yk that’s just how it is. i’ve made so many friends, and so so sooo many good memories that i’ll have for the rest of my life. i honestly never thought i would’ve accomplished as much as i did LMAOO i’m so happy. i feel so satisfied with how my skating career has gone. now that i’m finally done with my goals in skating i’m going to be moving on with my life. rn i’m probably just gonna spend all my spare time with my family and friends; and i’m also going to study ykwim. but fr this skating thing has taught me a lot more about life than i anticipated. i’m really glad i skated.
From Team USA: https://www.teamusa.org/news/2022/april ... -at-age-16

After two US championships, several international medals as a junior and senior competitor, a trip to the Olympics, and a World bronze medal, she's ready to move on with her education, apparently.

Her Wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alysa_Liu
Last edited by Elizabeth on Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kittykins

Re: Retiring at age 16 - Alysa Liu, USA

Post by kittykins »

Well, I'm sorry she's retiring, but I understand why she is! I hope all goes well for her with her education.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Re: After retiring at age 16 - Alysa Liu, USA plans to return

Post by Elizabeth »

In a surprise announcement, Alysa is returning to competitive skating for the 2024-25 season:

https://www.usfigureskating.org/news/pr ... re-skating
Alysa Liu Announces Return to Competitive Figure Skating

With a renewed joy for figure skating, Alysa Liu has announced her return to the sport.

Press release Team USA Friday, March 1, 2024
With a renewed joy for figure skating, Alysa Liu has announced her return to the sport.

Just 18 years old, Liu is a 2022 Olympian and two-time U.S. champion, becoming the youngest woman to win a U.S. Championships title at age 13 in 2019.

The last time she took the ice in competition, Liu earned the bronze at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2022. She announced her retirement from competitive skating in April 2022.

“It was good for me to take time off from skating, and I am beyond excited to begin skating again with my newly found perspective,” Liu said.

A prolific jumper from a young age, Liu became the youngest skater in history, and third U.S. woman, to land a triple Axel in international competition at age 12 at the 2018 Asian Open as well as the first U.S. woman to land a quadruple Lutz in a competition at 2019 Junior Grand Prix USA.

She aims to compete in the upcoming 2024-25 season.

“We are very excited about Alysa’s return,” said Justin Dillon, U.S. Figure Skating Senior Director of Athlete High Performance. “We look forward to supporting Alysa in her career as she seeks to build on the success she has already achieved in recent seasons.”