2024 Novice Canadian Championships - Skate Canada Cup - Waterloo, ON - Feb. 21-25

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

2024 Novice Canadian Championships - Skate Canada Cup - Waterloo, ON - Feb. 21-25

Post by Elizabeth »

From: https://skatecanada.ca/2024/02/top-cana ... anada-cup/

Top Canadian Skaters Head to Waterloo for Novice Canadian Championships and Skate Canada Cup
February 13, 2024/by Skate Canada

OTTAWA, ON (February 13, 2024) – Following the conclusion of the Skate Canada Challenge – Pre-Novice/Novice earlier this month, the country’s best novice skaters are set to compete for national titles in men, women, pair, ice dance and synchronized skating from February 21-25, 2024, at the Waterloo Memorial Recreation Complex in Waterloo, Ontario.

The competition week will kick off with the 2024 Novice Canadian Championships featuring recently crowned Skate Canada Challenge gold medalists Rui Qin (men), Lia Cho (women), Remie Muramoto and Keith Lau (pair) and Laurence Brière and Julien Lévesque (ice dance), as well as many other up-and-coming talents.

Later in the week, the country’s top synchronized skating teams will be competing for national titles in novice, open and intermediate at the 2024 Skate Canada Cup on February 24-25, 2024. Last year’s champions, Les Suprêmes (novice) and NEXXICE (intermediate, open) will be looking to defend their titles and bring home another medal.

Single day and all-event tickets for both events are available through KWTickets with prices starting at $40 for adults and $20 for children 12 and under (plus applicable fees and taxes).

For more information including the schedule, entries and start orders, please click here. Both events will be live streamed and can be accessed through the event page or the Skate Canada Dailymotion page.
Event page: https://skatecanada.ca/2024-novice-cana ... /#schedule

Skate Canada DailyMotion page: https://www.dailymotion.com/skatecanada
Elizabeth

Re: 2024 Novice Canadian Championships - Skate Canada Cup - Waterloo, ON - Feb. 21-25

Post by Elizabeth »

Day 1 of competition:
Elizabeth

Re: 2024 Novice Canadian Championships - Skate Canada Cup - Waterloo, ON - Feb. 21-25

Post by Elizabeth »

Day 2 of competition
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The Skate Canada press release on the results: https://skatecanada.ca/2024/02/new-novi ... -waterloo/
New Novice Canadian Figure Skating Champions Crowned in Waterloo
February 23, 2024/by Skate Canada

Waterloo, ON (February 23, 2024) – The 2024 Novice Canadian Championships wrapped up on Friday at the Waterloo Memorial Complex in Waterloo, Ont., with Lia Cho of Calgary, Alta., rewriting the record books yet again with another Canadian record to win gold in women’s singles.

Cho’s total score of 166.56 obliterated the record of 153.81 she set just two weeks ago at the 2024 Skate Canada Challenge – Pre-Novice/Novice competition held in Oakville, Ont.

“I feel amazing,” enthused Cho following her free skate performance. “This feels nice, but it’s not about winning, it’s about showing how much I love skating. I like both of my programs, I like my short music a lot, but I really like my long program because it has more jumps and I’m kind of a jumper.”

The women’s podium was a mirror image of the podium from the Skate Canada Challenge with Cho winning gold, Sandrine Blais of Quebec taking silver (133.90), and Ksenia Krouzkevitch of Ontario taking bronze (132.24).

The podium for ice dance looked quite similar to the Challenge podium as well with Laurence Brière of Carignan, Que., and Julien Lévesque of Boucherville, Que., winning gold again with an improved total score of 116.35. Taking silver this weekend however was Alyson Lacombe of St-Césaire, Que., and Morgan Laliberté-Laurent of Boucherville, Que., who captured bronze (108.38) at Challenge. Tasha Lai and Mickey Becker-Pos of Vancouver, B.C., the silver medallists from Challenge, took bronze (107.68).

“This is an awesome feeling. We’re really grateful for everything. Next year we’re going to junior, so we’re going be changing the program, changing category, so we’re going to be looking to improve everything,” said Lévesque.

There was a shuffle of the podium from Challenge in the pair competition as well, with Siyul Bella Back and Gavin Mahoney from Innisfail, Ont., improving from silver at Challenge to win gold at Canadian Championships with a total score of 116.84. Challenge’s gold medallists Remi Muramoto and Keith Lau of Mississauga, Ont., took silver this weekend with a total score of 111.90, and Julia Di Menna and Félix-Antoine Chartrand of Quebec, who had to withdraw from Challenge, took the bronze with a total score of 95.80.

“The competition went really well, it was the best performance we’ve had all season,” said Mahoney. “There were a lot of proud and fun moments here, but honestly, my proudest moment was finishing the competition here with Bella and being able to share that experience together.”

The men’s competition at Novice Canadians was the only category to truly see a change-up from the Skate Canada Challenge just two weeks ago, with Kento Nakashima of Edmonton, Alta., improving from a seventh-place finish at Challenge to win gold this weekend with a total score of 131.65 after posting top scores for both his short and free programs.

“I’m so excited and I’m overwhelmed that I took first place,” said Nakashima who finished eighth at the 2023 Novice Canadian Championships. “I feel like one of the factors that got me to first was that I was having fun, and I was confident, and I think that’s really important in skating.”

Rui Qin of Mississauga, Ont., the gold medallist at Skate Canada Challenge, took bronze this weekend with a total score of 122.44, while Travis Tang of Edmonton, Alta., the bronze medallist from Challenge took silver with a total score of 122.59.

The Skate Canada Cup competition for synchronized skating starts tomorrow with competition at the novice, intermediate, open, and Senior Elite 12 levels. Competition wraps up Sunday.

Full results can be found here: https://skatecanada.ca/2024-novice-cana ... s--results
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The Novice podium members at the 2024 Canadian Championships have repeated their success! They have taken the podium at the Triglav Trophy in Slovenia :)
Lia Cho placed first in the short program and first in the free to take the gold medal by more than 20 points.

The free skate results:

The overall results:
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

A podium sweep at their first international event ever :o