Todd Sand hospitalized in Calgary during Jr Worlds - now recovering at home

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

Todd Sand hospitalized in Calgary during Jr Worlds - now recovering at home

Post by Elizabeth »

Shocking news :( Sending prayers for him and his family.

Last edited by Elizabeth on Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabeth

Re: Todd Sand hospitalized in Calgary during Jr Worlds

Post by Elizabeth »

A local newspaper story from Orange County, Calhttps://www.ocregister.com/2023/03/02/f ... in-canada/ifornia:
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

From Alexa Knierim on her Instagram:
"Todd is still fighting. We aren’t out of the woods yet and all hope and positivity is needed. Thank you."
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Elizabeth wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:34 pm From Alexa Knierim on her Instagram:
"Todd is still fighting. We aren’t out of the woods yet and all hope and positivity is needed. Thank you."
Oh no...I hope they see progress soon. Those of us who have had family members with heart issues, certainly can understand it can take a few months especially IF there is surgery needed. His age will be on his side. My father had a harder time of it as he was well into his 80's but is doing quite well now. So, there is always hope!
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

This statement, from Todd & Jenni's Instagram account, was posted from Calgary yesterday along with a photo of them and their two sons:
Our family is very thankful that there are so many people from around the World sending good thoughts and prayers.
Please keep the prayers coming💙
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

An NBC News update indicates that Todd is still in the ICU in Calgary and is said to be "fighting for his life": https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2023/03/ ... rt-attack/
An online fund is accepting donations to help with the expenses for Todd and his family.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Elizabeth wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:30 pm An NBC News update indicates that Todd is still in the ICU in Calgary and is said to be "fighting for his life": https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2023/03/ ... rt-attack/
An online fund is accepting donations to help with the expenses for Todd and his family.
That's really horrible!! Praying for him/them.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

An update on Todd from his wife & sons via Instagram

kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

From Jenni Meno on Twitter today:
We are hoping to transfer Todd to an ICU closer to home very soon.
Jack, Matthew and I feel the support from around the World. Please continue to pray for Todd and his team of Drs. Your prayers are working.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Jenni posted an Instagram story this afternoon showing what appeared to be a small chartered plane and a waiting ambulance and said:
"We made it back to California safe and sound. All settled in at our new hospital! Thank you Canada for the amazing care and support."
She showed links to Skate Canada, the Glencoe Skating Club, and Scott Davis.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Jackie Wong (RockerSkating) reports, in his practice notes, that Shae-Lynn Bourne is in Japan at Worlds with Alexa Knierim and Brandon Frazier. Alexa has been posting a lot through Todd Sand's hospitalization
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

An update from Alexa & family on March 20th:
Our family is very happy to be back together in Orange County. We feel extremely blessed with the care Todd received in Calgary.
Todd still has a long recovery ahead of him. We’re hoping with continued dialysis he will regain his kidney function. We are focused on taking his recovery day by day. This week we’ll cheer on Alexa and Brandon competing at the World Championships in Japan.
Thank you for your continued support and prayers.
Love,
Jenni, Todd, Jack and Matthew
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Oh, I'm sorry he has to go through dialysis, but glad he is home again. Calgary might have been the best place for him to be when he had his crisis, with the good medical care there!
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

This photo with the banner for Todd was taken at WTT in Tokyo today and sent to Jenni

Jenni, in turn, posted it on Instagram with this message:
Wow!! What a special tribute to Todd. I can’t wait to show him the pictures when I get to the hospital today. Alexa and Brandon you made me cry with your beautiful, effortless skating this week.💙
Todd is working hard to regain his strength to walk and just do the things that we take for granted everyday. He was finally able to come off of the feeding tube this week and is now in a liquid diet. We continue to pray that his kidneys will start to work again. We have a long way to go…Jack said it best this week. “Dad, you are the strongest man I know.” Thank you to our family, friends and this amazing skating community from all over the world that continues to pray for us and give us strength.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Based on the latest update on Instagram from Jenni, Todd's "heart attack" was a very significant event that impacted him in multiple ways and his rehabilitation is going to be a long one :(

Her post:
It’s been 6 weeks since the day your heart stopped for an hour. You fought to wake up when the Drs didn’t know if you would, you’ve learned to stand, sit up and walk again when the Drs weren’t sure you would. I knew you would! Everyday you push through your exhaustion to try to get stronger so you can walk out of the hospital. Yesterday you told us you just want to feel normal again, you want to remember things easily, you want to be able to have a steak and watch your boys play baseball. You’re going to do it…all of it. One thing at a time, one day at a time….we’ll do it together. 💙
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Thanks for the update. Wow, I'm SO sad to hear about all the challenges he is facing. It's a miracle that he's still alive! I pray for better days ahead.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

An update from Jenni via Instagram last night:
After 8 weeks we brought Todd home today💙 He is a miracle…our story is one that I’ll tell in the future when I can spend sometime reflecting. Todd has done more in 8 weeks than any Dr thought he would. He still has a lot of work ahead. We look forward to meeting his new therapy team on Monday. For now we’ll relax and be grateful for the little things.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Wow that's fantastic!! He looks GREAT!
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

An update yesterday from Jenni on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cu5y_W0L9dZ/
Todd got to see all of his ‘kids’ today for the first time since March. It was an emotional day for sure. We are so grateful to have this special group…our Great Park Pairs family. Todd is working hard with OT, PT and speech therapy. …
Jenni also posted a photo on her Instagram.

A different photo, less posed, was posted on Twitter by Brendon Frazier - you can see Todd & Jenni in the middle (back row)
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Thanks for the info. I'm SO glad Todd's recovery is going well!
Elizabeth

Re: Todd Sand hospitalized in Calgary during Jr Worlds - now recovering at home

Post by Elizabeth »

An update from Jenni on Instagram earlier today which includes a photo to Todd and Jack - https://www.instagram.com/p/CxbRVjOSSQq/
I am feeling very thankful today as we fly to Seattle to take Jack to the University of Washington.
Todd is with us!

It’s been 6 months since the phone call from Calgary that changed our lives in a way we never imagined.
The night that Todd fought with all he had to stay with us.

He showed the doctors his strength of character when he woke up a few days later, when he stood up, when he walked on your own. His neurologist recently told us that he continues to amaze him. I’m not surprised..Todd has always been strong and determined, soft spoken and kind. He is still all of these things.

Todd suffered a Hypoxic brain injury on March 2nd. He has several areas of damage to his brain.
I’ve never shared this publicly, but I want our story to inspire other families.

There is always hope. God has a plan for us and while we don’t always know what it is we are thankful for our beautiful life. We know we are blessed. Some days we struggle and during those times we have an amazing support system of family and friends.

I’m proud of all of us…Todd, Jack, Matthew and myself. We have learned a lot, been through a lot and we are all so much stronger than we ever knew. One day at a time💜
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

An update article on how things are going for Todd in his recovery: https://sports.yahoo.com/elliott-todd-s ... 55065.html
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

Very sad and uplifting story. I tells us once again how quickly your life an change.