Lithuania Ice Dancer may loose citizenship.

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
fred

Lithuania Ice Dancer may loose citizenship.

Post by fred »

Lithuanian lawmakers have set in motion a process to revoke the citizenship of the Moscow-born ice dancer Margarita Drobiazko, due to her participation in an event in Russia last year. Officials also cited her ties to prominent Russian figures as a reason for the move.
For those of you who are not blocked from Russian web sites, here's the link to the story.

https://www.rt.com/news/580479-lithuani ... drobiazko/
kittykins

Re: Lithuania Ice Dancer may loose citizenship.

Post by kittykins »

Thanks for the info. Fred. I'm assuming she retained her Russian citizenship as well so is a dual citizen (I hope). I read a bit on wiki about her as I didn't remember her at all, probably because I don't follow Ice Dance as much as the other disciplines. I would think she should have used more caution and respect for the Lithuanian citizenship she achieved if she wanted to retain it. Perhaps she wanted to have her cake and eat it too, but she may also be an innocent party who got caught between two opposing and incompatible systems...sort of like oil & water! She would understandably be proud of her Russian heritage. She may not have fully understood the implications of participating in certain events.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Post by fred »

Pretty much, yeah. Lithuania granted her citizenship in 1993, now that should mean that she and her Lithuanian husband have been competing for Lithuania for 30 years, and she must have been representing Lithuania in Sochi last year. I would think they must be about ready to retire, unless they thing they are Lionel Messi, which I don't think they do. He's handling it quite well in Miami, by the way.
Anyway, Lithuania is arguing that her presence in Sochi would contribute to the Russian economy. HUH?! Like President Putin could take the profits and go out & buy himself a candy bar, or a newspaper. It's not a big deal.
The two of them have been living in Moscow anyway, so they could retire and coach in Russia, or just about anywhere in the world and be welcomed. Lithuania is shooting themselves in the foot by trying to harm this dance team, the way I see it.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Fred - Drobriazko & Vanagas retired from competition many years ago. Their last year of competition was 2005-2006, having competed at the World Championships every year but one since 1991 and at 5 Winter Olympics, based on her Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margarita_Drobiazko

The event in Sochi was not a competition. It was organized by former competitive ice dancer Tatiana Navka who is married to the press spokesperson for Putin, Dmitry Peskov. At one time she was married to Alexander Zhulin and they had a daughter together. If you want to read more about her, her current sanctions, and her associated controversies, see her Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatiana_Navka

By the way, Margarita's mother-in-law, Lilija Vanagiene, is the president of the Lithuanian Figure Skating Association. That federation will be hosting the 2024 European Championships.
fred

Post by fred »

Thanks Elizabeth,
I wonder then whether it's a family squabble and the citizenship issue is being used as a weapon to extend that tempest in a teapot. :roll:
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

fred wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:35 am Thanks Elizabeth,
I wonder then whether it's a family squabble and the citizenship issue is being used as a weapon to extend that tempest in a teapot. :roll:
I think it is more likely to be political and really nothing to do with the skater, other than in what events she chose to participate!
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Post by fred »

It could be both. This morning I am unable to log in to a number of sites that I usually can get to. I expect that's political.