Hurricane Fiona

This is where we can talk about things not included in the forums above. Still board rules apply, so no hurtful posts are allowed Exchange recipes, talk about your hobbies, there's been some great discussions about Downton Abbey, and so on.
kittykins

Hurricane Fiona

Post by kittykins »

It's sad to think of the damage in the Maritimes. Fred are you doing okay?!! Elizabeth, I hope your family and friends are doing okay too. Well, “okay” being a relative term!

I've always felt a connection to PEI because my Paternal Grandfather grew up there, and of course because of Lucy Maud Montgomery and her writings.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Re: Hurricane Fiona

Post by Elizabeth »

Here's a look at some of the damage in PEI: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-e ... -1.6593377
Much of the province (95% or so) still without power and cell service very spotty.

An update from Southwestern Newfoundland: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfound ... -1.6595070
One person is missing and presumed dead :( UPDATE - the RCMP have confirmed recovery of her body :cry:

In Cape Breton, the road to Louisbourg has been washed away, I just heard.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

The devastation is absolutely unbelievable. I remember going to Louisburg about 38 years ago. what a shame about the road! It's going to take quite some time to get things "back to normal" that's for sure. I suppose things can't ever be completely the same.

I hope Fred checks in soon!
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Post by fred »

Yes. I'm in the Valley & we didn't get hit very hard. Lost power for 15 hours, but we were ready for it. My wonderful landlord, (she really is), bought a new generator and so I get to use the old one, which is still quite serviceable. We were setting them up when the power came back on. Her husband said, "We should have done this before." (:-))
Got to run, Lunchtime and the cleaning lady will be here soon.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

fred wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:24 pm Yes. I'm in the Valley & we didn't get hit very hard. Lost power for 15 hours, but we were ready for it. My wonderful landlord, (she really is), bought a new generator and so I get to use the old one, which is still quite serviceable. We were setting them up when the power came back on. Her husband said, "We should have done this before." (:-))
Got to run, Lunchtime and the cleaning lady will be here soon.
Good to hear from you, Fred. You did better than some folks in "the big city" - I have friends in Halifax, near Camp Hill Cemetery, who lost power for almost a week. There are still 1000s of customers in NS who have not had their power restored - mainly west of Halifax. The same applies to PEI and NF.