Skating memories time

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

Skating memories time

Post by Elizabeth »

I remember being in Washington at the 2003 Worlds, watching practices where Xue Shen could barely walk, and then watching this masterpiece which won Xue Shen & Hongbo Zhao gold: https://t.co/fVjLR8zJU9

Now their students are skating to the same music ("Turandot") - this is from the 2017 Cup of China: https://t.co/cdjvg6K2mf

To those who, like me, remember a Plushenko exhibition to "Sex bomb" (unveiled at Vancouver Worlds, I believe) - here's a photo of the now 35-year old recreating it with his 4-year old son Alexander in a recent show. Image
kittykins

Re: Skating memories time

Post by kittykins »

Yes, he definitely debuted that at the Vancouver Worlds. I was there. We weren't able to stay for the gala but did watch the practice of his performance. His son is cute and looks like him.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

kittykins wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:38 pm Yes, he definitely debuted that at the Vancouver Worlds. I was there. We weren't able to stay for the gala but did watch the practice of his performance. His son is cute and looks like him.
I was there too and remember his performance in the Gala - I was quite sure it was the first time he did this # but he has done it quite a few times since.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

And now back to 1979...

Canadians were held in Thunder Bay and a young man by the name of Brian Orser landed his first competitive triple axel in the junior men's event - the first ever landed at Canadians. In pairs, the junior pairs champions of 1978, Barbara Underhill & Paul Martini, won their first senior championship. Future ice dance Olympic medalists Tracy Wilson & Rob McCall were still competing with other partners - she in junior dance and he in senior dance.

Read all about this and more in the latest entry on the Skate Guard blog, complete with some photos: http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2017/11/ ... ating.html
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

Oh so many familiar names and a reminder that all of our big stars had to make their way up through the ranks starting at an early age. Thank you for posting.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Some of you will remember Chen Lu/Lu Chen when she competed (for CHN) as well as her husband Denis Petrov. Here's a story about their daughter Anastasia who is "following in her mother's shoes": http://www.womenofchina.cn/womenofchina ... 2589-1.htm
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Thanks for the article. That is really wonderful that she can continue the love for the sport as her parents hand her the torch...although I admire them for not pressuring her.

I would be in 7th Heaven if an event was ever in Manitoba or Northwestern Ontario. I wonder if it will ever happen again. All of the times events were held there I was not able to take advantage of it for different reasons. I know Brandon has had the reputation for putting on international events well and when it was held in Brandon, I remember Johnny Essaw (sp?) and Debbi Wilkes commenting on it being the best ever that they had experienced in terms of organization. The problem is there is a direct WestJet flight from Calgary to Brandon but not from the East. People could possibly fly from T.O. to Calgary and then to Brandon, but it's problematic. Winnipeg is 2 hours from Brandon. So, it's not perfect but better than in the past at least which makes me partially hopeful.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Another blast from the past - the winning team in the juvenile pairs free skate at US Midwestern Sectionals in Bloomington, MN this week was the team of Natasha Mishkutionok, Dallas FSC (age 11) and Daniel Tioumentsev, Albuquerque FSC.

They train in Dallas, coached by her mother Natalia who was part of the team of Mishkutionok and Dimetriev who competed for Russia, winning the 1992 Olympic gold and the 1994 Olympic silver. Artur Dimetriev, who won Olympic gold again in 1998 with another partner, is currently coaching pairs competing at the senior level for RUS and his son (also Artur) competes/has competed in singles.

A friend in the US who watched said
I'm not sure that their side-by-side jumps weren't better than any of our SENIOR Pairs!
She looks forward to watching them grow :)