Skating events cancelled? Stuck at home? Some advice, some video to watch...

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

Skating events cancelled? Stuck at home? Some advice, some video to watch...

Post by Elizabeth »

Interested in skating history? Why not visit http://skateguard1.blogspot.com/ - there's lots of interesting "stuff there".

Here's some advice from the author of the blog via Twitter - perhaps some of it will help while you are "social distancing":

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETJ66I-VAAA ... me=900x900

Libraries in your area closed? What about all of those skating books in your own collection? Now is the time to read/reread them :D

Check with your internet provider - many are waiving data overage issues due to the number of people having to work at home.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabeth

Re: Skating events cancelled? Stuck at home? Some advice...

Post by Elizabeth »

Are you a skating fan who has only heard "bits and pieces" from an opera? Perhaps just an opera lover?

Check out this opportunity to watch recorded live performances from the Metropolitan Opera's history.
https://www.metopera.org/about/press-re ... s-closure/
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Listen to Kurt Browning being interviewed by Norm Profft on the Skate Canada Alumni site: https://alumni.skatecanada.ca/2020/02/e ... -browning/

You might find some other items on that site of interest.
Judy

Post by Judy »

Thanks Elizabeth. Vancouver Symphony chose to broadcast on YouTube this afternoon rather than cancel the Sunday concert. A great idea where it is possible.

Stay safe everyone and if you have elderly or immune compromised neighbours offer a helping hand. Something tells me that our little group has already done that.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Most, if not all, of the Canadian internet providers are waiving their overage charges until the end of April, spurred on by people working from home.

Good news if you want to watch live streams, videos, etc.

We all need some good news in these challenging times. Here's a website that is gathering some of the good news stories: https://covereddish.org/

For those who want to follow the news, CBC News Network is currently available free by streaming (worldwide) or via Canadian cable networks.
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

Thank you Elizabeth for your efforts to keep this group together and interested in other things while we wait out this unprecedented period of time.
I just distributed bunches of tulips to my elderly neighbours in my condo.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Good for you, Heini!

To quote/paraphrase the Chief Public Health Officer of Canada, social distancing should not equal social isolation. Now, more than ever, we need to find ways to keep in touch with others and to try to keep their (& our) spirits as positive as possible.

Speaking of tulips, my cat enjoyed the ones I received from my neighbour for my recent birthday - you might notice the card beside his left paw - sent from a cousin in England who understands the pecking order in my household!!!
fred

Post by fred »

I'm surprised at how this has transformed society. Even down here in N.S. I did my shopping yesterday and the shelves for toilet paper were almost empty. There are still some forest areas left and we produce paper locally, so why are people worried about it. It's like there is some unwritten rule that if anything goes wrong, hoard toilet paper. :o :lol:
There's not a lot of information about what we can do to fight the virus. Vitamins? Exercise? Fresh air? Oregano oil pills? Ozone genrerators? Staying Warm? Might some of these work.
I notice that working class people are supposed to self isolate, and that has started here in N.S. The cafe where I stopped yesterday was almost empty, and I asked if it was close to closing time. The cashier/barrista didn't know. She was waiting for a call from the owner. On the one hand I wonder if we're all being taken for a ride. There's an awful lot of fuss and bother about not catching a cold. Nova Scotia is a province of rule followers. It's almost like living amongst zombies. On the other hand it does kill some small number of people. What will be interesting to see if whether or not it results in broad new measures for government and the upper classes to control the population at large and reduce our freedom.
Note that while they are closing schools and sporting events, people are still expected to show up for work. Only a few can work from home. The virus will transmit from one person to another just as easily in the workplace. It doesn't care, but heaven forbid that the rich people might have to face an interruption of profits. Let the poor people suffer.
It's not about what country the virus started in or what country might have been extending their germ warfare plan. It's a class war. It's the rich controlling people working on ways to make life difficult, or impossible, for everyone else.
CBC's "The Nature of Things" recently pointed out that our immune systems get weaker as we age, but that aging people who get a good bit of exercise can maintain the immune levels of a 20 year old. That might be a key for us elderly people. Even if you are self quarantined, maybe get out in the back yard and get some sun & fresh air and exercise.
I know that when I have been out biking, & walking up hills, that I can breath more deeply and I feel more alert, (maybe not right at the moment I get home but after a short time of rest). If things progress and some people are infected, then those who are recovered will be valuable in providing services to those who are shut in. Recovered people will have immunity!
I'm stocked up on most things and I'm going to spend my day working on the guitar I am making. I'm working mostly on the neck of the guitar, but it's nothing to fret about. (:-)) Did I use that one here already? Anyway, keep smiling and stay healthy!
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Fred - no one knows yet if there are ways, other than an as-yet-undeveloped/tested vaccine, to fight this "novel coronavirus". We have dealt with other viruses in the coronavirus family but this is a new "wrinkle".

The keys, for now, are prevention through all the things that we have been told - thorough (and often) hand washing with soap for at least 20 seconds; use of hand sanitizers (if washing not possible); no touching our faces; respecting the 1-2 metre distancing; coughing into your elbow; etc.

Proper social distancing is important but we should all try to avoid social isolation.

The rate of spread has to be slowed down as much as possible to try to avoid overwhelming the health care system. We do NOT want to be like Italy!

Getting the full and proper information from health authorities is important; avoiding misinformation and especially avoiding deliberate misinformation/supposed "cures" (some being put out by scammers :evil: ) . I have been very impressed with the efforts in Nova Scotia which began early and seemed to ramp up consistently as required by the rapidly changing circumstances. That was the last province to have confirmed cases.

We are currently under a "state of emergency" in Ontario with the number of new cases doubling every couple of days.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

It is St. Patrick's Day - what better time to rewatch Riverdance as performed on ice by Bourne & Kraatz and/or Jason Brown???

There are a number of versions on YouTube.

Here's one for B&K: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZxdCZUAPjo

And one for Jason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbK9AleFM_k
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Elizabeth wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:09 pm
To quote/paraphrase the Chief Public Health Officer of Canada, social distancing should not equal social isolation. Now, more than ever, we need to find ways to keep in touch with others and to try to keep their (& our) spirits as positive as possible.
Very good point. More than 1 in 4 Canadian households is a person living alone. It's good to keep touch with those you know are in this situation. Quite a few of us on here are as well. I know of some seniors from my church who are not able to leave their building or to have visitors. So, I'm going to phone them this week and touch base. I know the one lady was at church this past Sunday, but now we will have to close down as well. I'm also calling my Dad because he's been unwell. He called the ambulance but they told him to stay home if he could. He decided to do that, and now he is rallying. There was a lot of prayer behind that!! Still I fear for seniors. He can't see his doctor until June and then his doctor is going out of town. They're encouraging people to not go to the Walk-in either because of the risks. Scary times! When I've gone to the store, people look so scared even though there are no confirmed cases here and the Health Unit tells us the risk is low. This is a friendly community, but people just don't know how to react.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I read both of your comments and I agree with both of you in different ways. I went out today to get a couple of things but now I'll be home for several days, until I have to get groceries again. I've got everything now. I'm finding self-isolating and social isolation amount to almost the same thing. One friend has called me because she is in the same boat except she has her dog, a Westie, but she's been laid off from her job and so it's really frightening for her. She also has a disability pension so that will hopefully compensate to some degree. It seems to me that the experts say different things. Some say just social distance but go out and others tell you to stay home. They originally said to only self-isolate if you are sick, but now of course we are all encouraged to do so. This is going to be a really lonely time and I honestly don't know how I'm going to cope with it. I really struggle with this when the risk is so low here, but of course you never know. I'm so nervous when I go out, but I know I go stir crazy cooped up in the house for more than a few days. As Fred said, it doesn't hurt to go outside if there's no one else around. We have to be cautious but not too paranoid and it's a hard balance. I tend to phone people, but it's hard to always being the one to do so. I certainly have enough to do around the house, that's for sure. When I have been out I see kindnesses between people. Well, take care everyone.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

To those who are alone, like me, it is important to not "overdose" on news and to stick to the factual information from health authorities in your own community, province and country. There is too much erroneous information being spread, some of it deliberately :(

Check out the "myth busters" from WHO as part of their overall information about Coronavirus: https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease ... th-busters

CBC has set up local information links including closures, cases, etc.: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/covid19- ... -1.5499632

Try to stay in touch with others virtually - e-mail, phone, social media - and to focus on some positive things, where possible. It may seem like a one-way street but it is needed and appreciated.

Take time to pursue hobbies/interests; explore some new ones with the extra time you may now have. Take a walk outside (I have to go to the nearest mailbox to post a cheque for a service I have cancelled but chosen to pay for anyway) - go for a drive to a favourite locale. Take photos.

Spring officially arrives later this week - I hate to suggest it but perhaps using the time to start spring cleaning, a little bit each day, would be a good idea. That seems to be what Carol Lane is doing - she worked on her home office yesterday, based on photos she posted on Twitter. She has also been posting photos of jigsaw puzzles as she progresses on them - apparently she and Piper are each doing them :)

We have not been able to attend church services here since an announcement on March 15th but, as I was taught long ago, for believers one does not have to be in a physical structure to maintain ones relationship with God. To assist in that, there are many online resources.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Take advantage of the extra on-line resources being made available to watch/re-watch all that material on YouTube, the ISU channels, etc.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It is important to try to prevent and delay COVID-19 as long as possible in every area of the country. Once it arrives the number of cases can increase quickly if we don't practice the recommended social distancing. As people are returning from travel over school breaks, it may take a number of days for their possible symptoms to appear. For example, the NHL shut down late last week and today it was announced that the first player case has been diagnosed - how many more will be announced in the next few days from exposure prior to the shutdown? This could be a critical time period.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Interested in old videos from events over the years? Ryan Stevens of the SkateGuard blog has a YouTube channel and has been receiving VHS tapes from folks and converting them for posting.

Check out his channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKbnPs ... e50rpj1kaw

On the right hand side of the page linked above you will find links to other YouTube channels with historical videos.

Ryan has also created playlists to organize some of his videos like "Essential Eighties"; Nostalgic Nineties; etc.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Elizabeth wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:46 am To those who are alone, like me, it is important to not "overdose" on news and to stick to the factual information from health authorities in your own community, province and country. There is too much erroneous information being spread, some of it deliberately :(
Oh boy, do I agree with this statement, well said!! I think people here are freaking out based on what they hear from Toronto and not here. Also, there's too much false info. being promoted. I have a friend who keeps sending me videos about cures etc. for Coronavirus, so I know what you mean about this fake info. being spread. We have no cases here, although the woman in Fort Frances has a relative here whom she spent time with. That woman doesn't have it but is self-isolating. They said they are testing people and so far half of the people have come back negative. Although they feel it's only a matter of time before some one has it here, they do not expect it to be community spread. They said the risk here is very mild/low. So they are trying to get people to social distance but not freak out. We have an excellent Health Unit, so I DO believe them. There's also a case in Sudbury, but that's even farther from here than Winnipeg! Our isolation here might help to some degree, I don't know. I really do believe you have to have a balance and communicating with others is a must, and however you do it is very personal. You can't tell me that all married couples are social distancing from their partner or children. Why because someone is single to they have to go out their minds?! We all need personal interaction. I've had to postpone my trip to see my Dad and this has been very hard for me especially when he's lonely also. It's been way too many disappointments for one week. Take care all and thanks for the positive suggestions.

P.S. Beautiful cat! A friend of mine has a Westie dog. Thank goodness she has her little baby. She is also being laid off from her library job. She's on a disability pension, so hopefully that will help as she may get more, that will supplement her loss of income to some degree.
fred

Post by fred »

There is a lot of information that is not being given as well. It was only today that I saw an article that tells us how long the sickness lasts and what are it's stages. We are not told what the temperature range of the virus is. But we have been told that we should not take NSAIDs like ASA to reduce our fever. Most viruses reproduce only in a narrow temperature range, so I am concluding that we can slow it down by staying warm, but there should be other things we can do and we get so little from the government.

Here in N.S. the Liberals have been gutting the health care system, closing Emergency rooms and filling "$1500. a night" hospital beds with elderly people who should be in residential care. The result is there are no reserve capacity beds for emergencies like this. We are, of course, told to distance ourselves, and that is good, but we are told to stay home before we get sick and *if* we get sick we are told to stay home. So the government efforts don't seem to be serving the people, and much as telling the people that we are on our own, yes, I know they are doing some things, but what they're doing mostly is telling us what to do, after they have failed to prepare for this disaster.

The main stream news media don't mention this of course.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

fred wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:50 pm There is a lot of information that is not being given as well. It was only today that I saw an article that tells us how long the sickness lasts and what are it's stages. We are not told what the temperature range of the virus is. But we have been told that we should not take NSAIDs like ASA to reduce our fever. Most viruses reproduce only in a narrow temperature range, so I am concluding that we can slow it down by staying warm, but there should be other things we can do and we get so little from the government.

Here in N.S. the Liberals have been gutting the health care system, closing Emergency rooms and filling "$1500. a night" hospital beds with elderly people who should be in residential care. The result is there are no reserve capacity beds for emergencies like this. We are, of course, told to distance ourselves, and that is good, but we are told to stay home before we get sick and *if* we get sick we are told to stay home. So the government efforts don't seem to be serving the people, and much as telling the people that we are on our own, yes, I know they are doing some things, but what they're doing mostly is telling us what to do, after they have failed to prepare for this disaster.

The main stream news media don't mention this of course.
Fred - I think this discussion should perhaps be taken off the "skating" part of the board and we should avoid talking politics at this time :) All I will say, from a medical perspective, is that there are so many differences in cases, individual symptoms, etc. that it is not possible to provide some of the information you are looking for, especially for what is a novel (new) coronovirus. Research is going on apace but it takes time.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Now, off to YouTube to find some more skating videos to watch.....
CarolH

Post by CarolH »

Hi All:
Well, I took Elizabeth's advice and started to watch Ryan Stephen's Skate Blog recordings.
Of course, I immediately found one of my *all-time* favourite skating performances. Toller
Cranston chose this program to be part of his TV Special "Toller Cranston's SKATES OF THE 80's".
I couldn't agree with him more...it was a tragedy that this program did not even get a medal.

Natalia Annenko was always one of my favourite skaters....perhaps because we chatted in a grocery store
in London Ontario when she was competing in the World Juniors. She was trying to figure out
our Canadian currency as she tried to pay for her purchases. Or, perhaps it's because I always liked her
hair style!! Their choice of costumes for this performance was exquisite as well. I believe they were
coached by Tarasova so I'm assuming she did the choreography as well.

When watching these older performances it's certainly easy to see the changes that have come about
over the years. Would love to see Tessa and Scott skate to this music. Their lifts would be amazing at
the various climatic points of the music. If I remember correctly, at that time dancers were unable to
do lifts higher than shoulder height - so I miss this bit of choreography in this performance.

Here's Natalia Annenko and Gerrikh Stretenski of the USR at the 1987 World Championships in Cinncinatti
with an intro from Toller.

<https://youtu.be/AVIG06JOEMo>

What other Skaters do you feel never received the proper marks/medals/acceptance/respect over the years?
My 2nd choice would be the Lithuanian Dancers, Margarita Drobiasko and Pavela Vanegas.

Carol
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I'm glad you've been enjoying some of Ryan's recordings, Carol. His work in preserving history in skating on his blog and on YouTube is an important personal project.

I agree with you about both of the ice dance teams you mentioned. I remember watching Dobriasko & Vanegas in person several times and feeling that they were being "robbed" - perhaps because they represented a "lesser" federation without the political clout.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Here's a new activity for you.... a Piper and Paul word search created by a skating fan and shared via Twitter :)

CarolH

Post by CarolH »

Can you do this Word Search on the computer, or do I have to print it off first?
I don't normally do these Searches, but these aren't *normal times* and besides I saw
about 6 clues immediately and that has made me curious.
C
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

CarolH wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:53 am Can you do this Word Search on the computer, or do I have to print it off first?
I don't normally do these Searches, but these aren't *normal times* and besides I saw
about 6 clues immediately and that has made me curious.
C
I saved it as an image (by right clicking on the image and choosing "save") and then printed it off (full size on 8 1/2 by 11).
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Ryan Stevens (of SkateGuard blog) is continuing to add new videos on his YouTube channel, almost hourly: https://t.co/v3siCRhFqg?amp=1

For example, he's going to be adding the men’s free skate from the 1981 World Championships today, according to a Twitter post.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Here's another one from Ryan - Tracy & Rob in an exhibition from 1989: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yKWMQ5 ... e=youtu.be