How will entries for 2021 Worlds be handled?

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

How will entries for 2021 Worlds be handled?

Post by Elizabeth »

There has been speculation about this situation and, I'm sure, some proposals being discussed or at least floated.

Here is a historical perspective from the Skate Guard blog regarding what happened after the cancellation of the 1961 Worlds: https://skateguard1.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... in-62.html
fred

Re: How will entries for 2021 Worlds be handled?

Post by fred »

Well, 1961 was a special case where the U.S. had effectively lost their whole team. Here, we just skip a year and I don't see any reason to change the process. Perhaps there is something I'm missing here.
Judy

Post by Judy »

Oh, let’s just use the results from the 2018 Olympics.😄
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

fred wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:02 pm Well, 1961 was a special case where the U.S. had effectively lost their whole team. Here, we just skip a year and I don't see any reason to change the process. Perhaps there is something I'm missing here.
The spots for Worlds in any given year are determined by the results of the previous year, so the spots for 2020 Worlds were based on what happened in 2019. Some folks have "assumed" that the same # of spots would be carried forward to 2021. Others have suggested alternative possibilities, including using the "season's best scores" list from the 2019-2020 season; another suggestion was to use the season's best scores only for those who were scheduled to compete in Montreal.

I kind of like Judy's suggestion - especially after re-watching the 2018 Olympics free programs on Saturday :lol:

It's all in the hands of the ISU, of course, and we will just have to wait and see.
fred

Post by fred »

OK, The 2018 Olympics could provide a base, but there must be new skaters that might be eligible that didn't get to the 2018 Olympics.

But yeah, the number of spots could just be carried through from last year. That won't harm much
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

fred wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:44 am OK, The 2018 Olympics could provide a base, but there must be new skaters that might be eligible that didn't get to the 2018 Olympics.

But yeah, the number of spots could just be carried through from last year. That won't harm much
We are talking about the number of "spots" or entries - these are allocated by country and have nothing to do with the individual skaters per se. National skating federations choose the skaters to fill their spots, of course.