Worlds Rewind: Ottawa 1984

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

Worlds Rewind: Ottawa 1984

Post by Elizabeth »

Part 5 of the Skate Canada series on previous World Championships held in Canada:
https://montreal2020.com/worlds-rewind-ottawa-1984/

This is the 2nd Worlds I attended :)

It was a special one for Barb (who started the board) and her partner Paul :D
Judy

Re: Worlds Rewind: Ottawa 1984

Post by Judy »

How fortunate you were to attend the 1984 Worlds Elizabeth. It was such a special Worlds and that skate so needed by Barb and Paul after the slip at Olympics.
Many years later I read about her returning to her old skates after Olympics. She sat with us during a men’s practice at Worlds in 1999, and she talked about it. It was obviously still emotional for her all those years later. Don’t remember her exact words but she basically credited her old skates with giving her the comfort she needed to skate with confidence.

Now I’ll go and read the rewind.
CarolH

Post by CarolH »

I was there that magical week in Ottawa as well. Sat beside the fellow (and his Mom) who started Dunkin' Donuts in the USA.
Wonderful friendships made that week with them.
That era of skating was so magical - things were changing because of these fantastic MUSICAL performances. You
know how I'm always squawking about the art of choosing music that compliments the athleticism. When Barb and Paul and
also Torvill and Dean skated their Free Programs (also Best?????& Bukin) there was a new torch thrown into the
skating world. My greatest fear during their performances was that the Judges would not recognize such excellence and the
extraordinary skills they had combined in order to cast these spells over the audience - costuming, music editing, choreography,
skating skills, connection with partners AND the audience. It was emotional, it was happiness and it pushed Figure Skating in
a whole new direction.
My age is showing now, but I'm not appreciating the currant crop of programs, or their choice of music. The technical ability
of these youngsters is dominating any effort for a *perfect* performance like we experienced in 1984 at Worlds.
Carol
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

I so agree with you, Carol. Good to see you on the Board. :)