Minto Summer Skate 2019 - July 25-28

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

Minto Summer Skate 2019 - July 25-28

Post by Elizabeth »

This is one of the events in the Skate Ontario Sectional Series. To read more about this series, go here: https://skateontario.org/wp-content/upl ... _AP_pg.pdf

The entry lists are now posted: https://skateontario.org/results/19S1/index.htm

I hope we get to see all 8 of the senior pairs currently listed!
fred

Re: Minto Summer Skate 2019 - July 25-28

Post by fred »

I feel sorry that I am not still living in Ottawa and volunteering at the event. It was such a great time. It was a real experience posting the results for the novice girls. What reactions! Beautiful!
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

fred wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:06 pm I feel sorry that I am not still living in Ottawa and volunteering at the event. It was such a great time. It was a real experience posting the results for the novice girls. What reactions! Beautiful!
I'll be volunteering at the entrance desk, as usual. I'll be there for 3 of the 4 days.
fred

Post by fred »

Please enjoy that for me. Feel the energy and joy of the event.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Lubov/Charlie debut. Please post updates for us, if you're able!
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Kevin wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:00 pm I'm really looking forward to seeing how Lubov/Charlie debut. Please post updates for us, if you're able!
I believe their actual first competitive appearance will be at the Quebec summer skate which, I think, happens before Minto. I too am very much looking forward to seeing them. I hope my volunteer shifts don't interfere with seeing them at Minto!
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Any word if they are going to be doing Live Streaming in one or both rinks?
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Elizabeth wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:38 pm I believe their actual first competitive appearance will be at the Quebec summer skate which, I think, happens before Minto. I too am very much looking forward to seeing them. I hope my volunteer shifts don't interfere with seeing them at Minto!
Oh wow - then that likely is happening(happened) this weekend? I think I'll go hit youtube and see if there is anything to see.....
fred

Post by fred »

Kevin & Elizabeth, or anyone please give me a link if there are videos posted. of Lubov & Charlie. I'd like to see that.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Kevin wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:22 pm
Elizabeth wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:38 pm I believe their actual first competitive appearance will be at the Quebec summer skate which, I think, happens before Minto. I too am very much looking forward to seeing them. I hope my volunteer shifts don't interfere with seeing them at Minto!
Oh wow - then that likely is happening(happened) this weekend? I think I'll go hit youtube and see if there is anything to see.....
Actually, my memory was faulty - the Quebec Summer Championships is Aug. 8-11, 2019 in Pierrefonds. The website: https://patinage.qc.ca/championnats-quebecois-dete/
fred

Post by fred »

Thanks. I can't seem to find videos there, but my French isn't that great. I speak it some.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The schedule for Minto Summer Skate: https://skateontario.org/wp-content/upl ... uly-17.pdf

Start orders: https://skateontario.org/results/19S1/index.htm

I believe that there will be a live stream and it should be linked here:
https://www.dailymotion.com/skateontario
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Thanks Elizabeth! I look forward to watching it in only a few days! :)
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I'm trying to remember the history of this competition. This is the same one that used to be in Thornhill? I think they moved it to Ottawa last year or the year before? I did manage to go to Thornhill twice. I found it tricky to attend because of lack of accommodation and having to stay in Markham & not being a "Toronto driver", so I didn't go more than just the twice. I enjoyed it though, when I did go. Well, this will be very good for you Elizabeth! Someday I'll try to get there.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

kittykins wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:40 am I'm trying to remember the history of this competition. This is the same one that used to be in Thornhill? I think they moved it to Ottawa last year or the year before? I did manage to go to Thornhill twice. I found it tricky to attend because of lack of accommodation and having to stay in Markham & not being a "Toronto driver", so I didn't go more than just the twice. I enjoyed it though, when I did go. Well, this will be very good for you Elizabeth! Someday I'll try to get there.
NO - the Minto Summer Skate has been going on here, hosted by the Minto Skating Club, for many, many years. It is only in the past 3 (?) years that it has been officially part of the new Skate Ontario sectional series of qualifying events, making it a larger event that had to be moved to a different location here as the numbers could no longer be accommodated at the Minto site.

The Thornhill competition was something completely different :)

Here's the schedule for the Skate Ontario sectional series: https://skateontario.org/wp-content/upl ... R_2019.pdf
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Minto Summer Skate will be taking place on three ice surfaces. There will be live streams from two of them. Here are the links:

Canadian Tire Rink: https://dai.ly/x7dxztd

HEO Rink: https://dai.ly/x7dy05o

The very latest schedule (as of July 24th): https://skateontario.org/wp-content/upl ... y-24-1.pdf
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Thanks for all the info. So far I'm having trouble with the streams cutting in and out but hopefully I'll be able to watch later.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

kittykins wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:14 am Thanks for all the info. So far I'm having trouble with the streams cutting in and out but hopefully I'll be able to watch later.
The streams were fine when I was watching. I'm off to the rink shortly.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Elizabeth wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:23 pm
kittykins wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:14 am Thanks for all the info. So far I'm having trouble with the streams cutting in and out but hopefully I'll be able to watch later.
The streams were fine when I was watching. I'm off to the rink shortly.
Have fun! Yes, it's fine now for me. Perhaps I just needed to do a restart. I'll be watching the HEO rink most of the time.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I wasn't able to watch any of the pairs stream today. Are they being archived anywhere?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Hmmm - looks like Lubov and Charlie withdrew. We shall have to wait a little longer to see.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Kevin wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:18 pm I wasn't able to watch any of the pairs stream today. Are they being archived anywhere?
and
Hmmm - looks like Lubov and Charlie withdrew. We shall have to wait a little longer to see.
It does not appear that Skate Ontario is archiving any of the streams :(

There are 3 rinks in use and only 2 live streams. All of this despite the addition of a $5 "livestream fee" on each skater registration :(

Quite a few withdrawals in all categories from this first competition of the season, including Lubov & Charlie as well as Gabby Daleman. The latter is still suffering from some ill effects of a concussion suffered in April, according to a conversation I had with her mother. Her brother Zach and his new partner made their debut in junior pairs.

Camille Ruest and Drew Wolfe skated their SP yesterday but he told me that they were returning home last night and would not be skating their FP as she is still recovering from surgery a couple of months ago.

You will find some "captured" pairs (mainly junior) here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRn-Yb ... j5Q/videos

Some other Minto videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLL3jH ... kuHZx60yzA
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

You will find some Minto videos from yesterday and today here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRn-Yb ... pb325Blj5Q

You might want to look especially at Ekatarina Kurakova (POL) (age 17) who is training at the Cricket Club - her SP and FS are both available on the channel above.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I was quite disappointed that the Jr. Men's FS was not streamed because it was in the "milk rink". It seems to me that at least all junior and senior events should be streamed and perhaps the novice as well. Not only is the skill better, but the older or more experienced skaters probably can handle the idea of live streaming better. Now, I understand not being able to show all the women with their many flights. Interesting, but I found the skill among the pre-novice men better than the novice for some reason. I think we have some very good talent moving up into the novice level in that discipline. I did watch some of the women & pairs, but as the men's discipline has always been my favourite, I tend to concentrate on that when time is limited and I have other things to do. I am very sorry to hear of Gabby's concussion...man oh man what next for the poor girl. :(