Devastating fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

This is where we can talk about things not included in the forums above. Still board rules apply, so no hurtful posts are allowed Exchange recipes, talk about your hobbies, there's been some great discussions about Downton Abbey, and so on.
Elizabeth

Devastating fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

Post by Elizabeth »

An incredibly horrific event playing out live on television and through photos & posts on social media :(

The building has been on this site for more that 800 years and for many is considered the "heart of Paris".

A "traditional" photo of the iconic building from Piper Gilles
Last edited by Elizabeth on Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabeth

Re: Devastating fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

Post by Elizabeth »

Photos from 2014 by Danielle Earl

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Amazingly, the altar and the cross in the middle photo from Danielle above are still standing. There is a hole in the vault above and the remains of the steeple that came through the vault are scattered in front of the altar but many of the seats, etc. are apparently unscathed!! There is still fire burning between the vault and the roof frame but apparently the thin stone vault held throughout much of the structure :o

This is one of the recent photos from inside the Cathedral, including one of the heroic fire fighters, posted on the Cathedral's Twitter account

kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Thanks for the pictures. I agree it was a horrible tragedy but so wonderful how many things were saved. The firemen did indeed to a wonderful job of putting out the fire...I believe 500 fire fighters in number. I'm very glad the rose glass windows were saved as well as the organ. The cross being saved seems very symbolic!

Has anyone on here been there? I hope they keep the architecture the same when they re-build. I've been to the basilica in Montreal, but over 30 years ago. I believe it's a partial replica.

What a strange time for it to happen too...during Lent and so close to Easter. Although it was a horrible tragedy personally for many people and from an architectural standpoint as well, it was a very interesting diversion from the constant reporting of US Politics on TV....I felt the same way about the boys trapped underground who were rescued. Although, I'd rather both events didn't happen, we also learned a lot from the coverage of both events.

There have been a number of comments online about the billions raised and how people donating should be helping the poor of the world instead. However, we really don't know that those billionaires AREN'T donating to the poor as well, and really churches help people in so many ways. The "Heart of Paris" is very important!
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Post by fred »

One could say it was an interesting time because they were doing repairs on it, and this happened recently at another magnificent church, but I don't remember which one, or which religion. I thought it was in North America.(???)
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I think there was a fire at a historic church in Newfoundland just yesterday, but that's probably not the one you meant.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Post by fred »

Not unless they were also doing renovations.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

It seems coincidental that they were doing renovations. These old buildings are made of mostly wood and need careful handling. New machines are probably not meant to be used on such old architecture iykwim.
fred

Post by fred »

Yeah, that must be it. ;) :?