The Frigid Cold

This is where we can talk about things not included in the forums above. Still board rules apply, so no hurtful posts are allowed Exchange recipes, talk about your hobbies, there's been some great discussions about Downton Abbey, and so on.
kittykins

The Frigid Cold

Post by kittykins »

How is everyone surviving? It's -30 here and I haven't gone to church two weeks in a row as it was -45 last week and -35 this week. Now that I am retired I don't have any interest in going out when it's that cold. Minus 30 is my limit although I do okay in the -20ies. It's supposed to "warm-up" this afternoon, so I hope to go out for a while, just for a change of pace. I was so bundled up when I went to Canadian Tire the other day that the worker commented on the cold weather, lol. I was wearing long-johns, a sweater over a sweatshirt, my coat with furry (don't worry, not real) collar, arm cuffs ear muffs which I didn't take off, and my tall sorels. :lol:

It's a bitter pill that Victoria has cherry blossoms, hahaha :lol: That's the place to go for a holiday in Canada, that's for sure.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Judy

Re: The Frigid Cold

Post by Judy »

I haven't seen cherry blossoms but there have been azaleas in bloom since mid-month. We've escaped the usual rains this January but not a week of major storms andpower outages.
Robins here too. A week or so ago there were over 20 of them in the willow tree in our yard.

To me, it should not be this mild, even in Victoria. I'm convinced it is another sign of climate change.
Judy

Post by Judy »

And You obviously know how to stay warm!
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

As the news reporter just said on TV, "natives" in Ottawa know how to dress for the cold while "tourists" might not. It is currently minus 22 but feeling like minus 28 Celsius. They are calling for another major snowstorm overnight and tomorrow - it might be enough to put us into the record books for total January snowfall and/or for three storms over a 10 day period, etc.

The storm is apparently coming our way from Detroit where some fans, reporters, etc. are being impacted in trying to get home after US Nationals. Shades of a week ago in Saint John.

I saw that they had to call in icebreakers in Niagara Falls.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Wow, really, that's interesting! It's been cold here too, but I don't feel we can hold a candle to Manitoba where my family lives, where it's been like -37 degrees...brrrr.

Fun Fact 50%.jpg
So true, haha.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)