2019 Canadian figure skating Championships - Saint John, NB - Jan. 13-20

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
happyheini

Re: 2019 Canadian figure skating Championships - Saint John, NB - Jan. 13-20

Post by happyheini »

I have not watched any life streaming so started yesterday to watch my taped programs the various and expensive TSN channels deemed sufficient for the few fans who like figure skating. I still have more to watch but dread Rod's constant inane prattle. It drives me round the bend, Tracy is doing her very best to keep her comments to the actual performance while he drones on about "the kid" the "phenom" blah, blah. Or is it only me?
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I obviously have not watched any of the CTV/TSN coverage - it is recorded at home. It may get deleted without viewing. (Rod has always talked that way!)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

So far my flight still appears to be a "go" for this afternoon and it appears that the early morning AC Jazz flight got out this morning already.

Some folks are stranded until tomorrow: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brun ... -1.4985944

People who were planning to fly out this morning are now here until Wednesday - some of their flights were cancelled while they were on the way to the airport. Fingers crossed that Porter will get in to take me back to Ottawa!!!
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Wow, hope you get home today Elizabeth. That's really crummy.

Heini, I think a lot of people still like figure skating but they make it harder for people to watch. Most can be received on a "medium" cable package though. Rod drives me crazy. The Sergei remark and Tracy's response were hilarious. :lol: I said more than a few times "you don't have to state the obvious Rod!" :D
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Happy to report that I am home in frigid Ottawa, thanks to Porter.

Air Canada flights late afternoon and evening were delayed and folks that were schedule to be in the air by now, like Debbi Wilkes & Ted Barton, are still waiting.

Definitely an "adventure"!
Judy

Post by Judy »

Glad to hear you're safely home Elizabeth. Stay warm. Well insulated pipes I hope!
I was told today that there are azalea bushes in bloom here. Not sure I believe that!

Would love to hear your thoughts on the competition when you've time.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

An account of some more "travel adventures" in Saint John and getting out of Saint John: https://www.delta-optimist.com/ice-prov ... 1.23607909
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

We have seen Elladj and Keegan with "dueling backflips" before.

This time it was a threesome with the addition of Nic Nadeau (at the Gala)
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Elizabeth wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:44 pm An account of some more "travel adventures" in Saint John and getting out of Saint John: https://www.delta-optimist.com/ice-prov ... 1.23607909
Oh my goodness!!! :o I'm glad they are okay. I hope their flight leaves soon. I'm glad you are home Elizabeth. What an adventure.

That picture of the guys doing the back flip reminds me of Elvis Stojko's response to them. He said he tried one and almost put out Doug Leigh's eye. It scared & upset him so badly he didn't try one again. It isn't easy, although some of these guys make it look so!
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Judy wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:18 pm Glad to hear you're safely home Elizabeth. Stay warm. Well insulated pipes I hope!
I was told today that there are azalea bushes in bloom here. Not sure I believe that!

Would love to hear your thoughts on the competition when you've time.
Well, it's a week since Canadians finished and almost a week since I got home. Some of my travelling group were not so lucky - they didn't get home until as late as Wednesday!!

We are working our way toward an all-time record for January snow in Ottawa and have already set cold temperature records. I could live without those records but our houses are built for them and we should know how to dress :D

With respect to Canadians, Judy, I am glad that I went - it was worth it to be there in person. I was disappointed at the small crowds but had been told that ticket sales were disappointing. Lots of factors contributed to that, I'm sure. It did make it easier to catch up with friends, meet new people, etc. :)

I'm sorry I didn't see the junior dance event live but watching the live stream definitely encouraged me for the future in that discipline. I did see the junior pairs and junior men free skates, the junior women free, and all of the senior competition. There were some instances of "redemption" and some disappointments. I'm not sure how our representatives will do going forward to the next competitions but accept that this is a rebuilding year/time.

Having attended the Grand Prix Final live and having just watched the US Nationals and the ISU European Championships, there are certainly a lot of talented skaters out there, some of them quite young. Worlds 2020 in Montreal and the 2022 Olympics should be interesting!