Firefox Warning

I will post board issues here, and announce when I am going to prune old messages, or try another update. (It'll be a long time before I try that again). But if you're having problems with the board, I certainly do, or if you have a request about a feature, then this is the place for that.
kittykins

Firefox Warning

Post by kittykins »

Hi. Firefox is telling me this site isn't secure and that someone could steal my password. It said something about the site having a expired security certificate. I think that's all it was meaning. I don't necessary believe all that, but I thought I should tell you.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Re: Firefox Warning

Post by Elizabeth »

That's strange - I have used Firefox for quite a few years (on Fred's recommendation, if I recall correctly) and have never had any sort of warning regarding this site.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Weird. I haven't received this notice with any other browsers, so it must have been a kink in the system with Firefox.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Post by fred »

I have been getting that message for a couple of years now. It's because I've never been able to migrate to the new security system. You'll note that my site is still http and not https. I've tried on a couple of occasions to set it up and someone has set themselves up as licensing authority. They want to collect $20 for a certificate, I don't understand why, but OK. Yet every time I try to register it tells me to click on the link and there is no link there. So that's as far as I can get. Now they're trying to monkey with me and every time I come to login they have changed my password. I have to do the "Forgot my password" bit and get a new one.

Whoever it is did the same thing with my and my online banking. Changing my password every time I went there. I had to ask the bank to shut that down completely. So I can't update the software here and heaven knows what they'll do to the board next. I don't think this board will be around for much longer; maybe a month, maybe more maybe less. There's not much more I can do. Don't trust this place. It has gremlins in it.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

It sounds like there are definitely problems on your end, Fred!

I've only had to do the "forgot my password" on this board when I was using a different computer to log in and had truly forgotten it :)

I have an additional level of security for your board, and many other websites, that was free from my bank. Perhaps that is why Firefox doesn't give me the warning?

I'm sorry if you feel you have to shut down the board.

I send out periodic e-mails to a few people who are fellow skating fans and I include similar skating news as what I post here. I could add some more fans, if they so desire.

I already have e-mail addresses for those whom I've met in person and for one or two more.

I know there are a few folks who rely on the news here for whom I don't have e-mail addresses - they might want to send me a private message just in case they want to stay "connected" if the board goes down. Of course, that won't be possible for those who choose to read the forums as guests :)
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Well, it would be a real shame if you did shut the board down. I just mentioned it in case you didn't realize. I just ignore the warnings. Firefox is the only one mentioning it to me.
fred

Post by fred »

OH I've had the warnings for a few years now and I just ignore them. That's not the issue. That's because I have not migrated the board to an https format. I've tried several times and it just doesn't work.
Someone is playing with my password. Several times now I've found that I cannot log on and I have to use the "forgot my password" feature. Now it's down to almost *every* time I log on. The board is not remembering my password or someone is continually changing it. So that means someone else can log in here as me and none of you would ever know it. Well if they started to talk a lot, I expect someone would notice.

I'll leave the board up for now and try to keep an eye on things. My health has improved and I'm likely to be around for a few years yet, but one never knows.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Thanks for all your work Fred. I appreciate it. That's certainly very weird about your password.