House Repair Woes

This is where we can talk about things not included in the forums above. Still board rules apply, so no hurtful posts are allowed Exchange recipes, talk about your hobbies, there's been some great discussions about Downton Abbey, and so on.
kittykins

House Repair Woes

Post by kittykins »

Say a prayer for me folks. I'm getting the house painted and it's been a bit of a nightmare overall. They did a lousy job on the garage door but did well with everything else. I had to hire my carpenter to restore the door and repaint it. Now they've broken my front lantern for the outside light. They are going to try to replace it...good luck finding a new one the right size as it's a 1948 fixture. GRR...pray for me when you get the chance. :? It's really hard being on your own with such things. I can hardly wait until this is all over with. They say it "wasn't screwed in properly". To think that fixture's been up the same way for over 25 years, and properly much longer, with no problems. :evil:
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Re: House Repair Woes

Post by fred »

Sorry to hear about all that
GOt to go .Late for a visit to mt cat. Later!
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Thanks Fred. Well, miracles happen and they found a lantern to replace the other. The job is almost finished and I think it will be today. I have to say I am relieved.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Post by fred »

It's nice to hear good news for a change. I have little time today, but I'll be back when I can.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

So now my washing machine is retired. My washer & dryer are 33 years old. I got feedback from friends about top load versus front load, and I'll be going with a top load. However, although my dryer still works it's on the way out also, so I plan to wait and get both together when I can afford it better. That means laundromat for now, for the washing. I also have to save for my Montreal Worlds trip. If anyone has any suggestions re. brands or types of washer/dryers, I'd appreciate it. Then my dishwasher started making weird noises. I had the repairman in who told me there was nothing he could do but that it works well, so in his opinion I could keep using it for a while yet. He banged it around a bit and what-ya-know the funny noise stopped when I did a load 2 days later. :roll: Sometimes I really feel like I'm losing my mind! :lol:
Judy

Post by Judy »

When I moved here four years ago, the place had all new supposedly high-end LG appliances. I'd advise against buying any LG appliance. They look nice, have lots of blinking lights and exotic options but are bluntly put, garbage.

If you can afford it, I'd suggest buying European made.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Judy wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:03 pm When I moved here four years ago, the place had all new supposedly high-end LG appliances. I'd advise against buying any LG appliance. They look nice, have lots of blinking lights and exotic options but are bluntly put, garbage.

If you can afford it, I'd suggest buying European made.
Thanks Judy. The appliance repairman recommended against LG as well. He suggested going with something North American. I've also heard that although I had Inglis machines that worked for 33 years, Inglis isn't very good now. It's too bad machines aren't made to last these days. It's worse for our environment when people throw them out after 5-10 years.