Changes in program length? New terminology? More GOEs? New minimum TES scores needed?

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

Changes in program length? New terminology? More GOEs? New minimum TES scores needed?

Post by Elizabeth »

You might want to prepare yourself for watching skating this season in light of the changes approved at the 57th ISU Congress.

Jackie Wong (RockerSkating) explains all the changes that came about following the most recent Congress in his column here: https://www.rockerskating.com/news/2018 ... kating-now
Last edited by Elizabeth on Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin

Re: Changes in program length? New terminology? More GOEs?

Post by Kevin »

Wow - no side by side spins in the pairs LP??? Don't know if I agree with that. I like some of the other changes, like not repeating quads, and only having 3 jumps in the second half of the program receiving a bonus. That should help eliminate some skaters using the system (rather than their skating skills) to edge out their competition. Seems fair to me. Still....so much to wrap our heads around!
fred

Post by fred »

Side by Side spins, in the camel position can be very dangerous. Is that why they've been scrubbed?
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

fred wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:14 pm Side by Side spins, in the camel position can be very dangerous. Is that why they've been scrubbed?
All the changes are made on the advice of the technical committee, based on representations made to them from coaches/skaters/etc.
fred

Post by fred »

If they've followed that faithfully, then these should be good changes.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Kevin wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:53 pm Wow - no side by side spins in the pairs LP??? Don't know if I agree with that. I like some of the other changes, like not repeating quads, and only having 3 jumps in the second half of the program receiving a bonus. That should help eliminate some skaters using the system (rather than their skating skills) to edge out their competition. Seems fair to me. Still....so much to wrap our heads around!
I agree with reducing the bonus for jumps in the later part of the program. I didn't approve of Alina Zagitova's strategy. Not only is it "boring" to put all your jumps in the 2nd half, it's not a balanced program imho. Hopefully the best all round program wins, not just the one with all the tricks at the end. Also, I think reducing the quads to some degree is a good idea. I think it's gotten a little out of hand with too many quads at times. Again, for me at least, I prefer a more balanced program without one element taking over the program to outweigh the importance of other elements.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Post by fred »

Me too Kitty. There should be more given for artistic skating, so that one can rack up points with either strategy. The marking system defines what skating will be.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

PJ Kwong offers some insight into the impact of the rule changes as the new season unfolds: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/figu ... -1.4866222
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

- will be Interesting to see how the top skaters and points collectors will adapt their programs to the new rules.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

With the changes for this season, the ISU has just issued the new minimum scores required for skaters to compete at their championship events.

This chart shows the minimums for each of the senior and junior disciplines for last season and this season:
Elizabeth

Re: Changes in program length....

Post by Elizabeth »

From Phil Hersh via Twitter:
Have noticed a lot of talk about how cutting 30 seconds from the men’s FS is leaving skaters exhausted. Brian Orser told me a year ago that would happen.