A Claose Call.

I will post board issues here, and announce when I am going to prune old messages, or try another update. (It'll be a long time before I try that again). But if you're having problems with the board, I certainly do, or if you have a request about a feature, then this is the place for that.
fred

A Claose Call.

Post by fred »

Hello Friends,

Saturday, I became very weak when walking to the Peace Vigil we have here in Wolfville, N.S. I stopped in at a shop and asked them to call me an ambulance, which they did. I heard the following words, or something close to it.

"We are going to put you to sleep so we can get tubes into your lungs, Mr. Williams. We are not sure if we can wake you up again after."

I told them to do what they could and everything would be OK. Sunday morning, (I think), I woke up and was a little surprised. Several days in the ICU and under the care of some very wonderful people and I am now home again and getting stronger.

My Cat, Clawdus, is so glad to have me back, and I am trying to figure out when pills & puffers I am supposed to be taking and when. Still, young Mr. Ten as not been as lucky. Someone wanted car mirrors and was willing to kill for them. (?)

Live is so fragile here & now.
Judy

Re: A Claose Call.

Post by Judy »

My goodness Fred. Please take care and be well!

Did you find a new apartment?
Elizabeth

Re: A Close Call.

Post by Elizabeth »

That would have been very scary, Fred!!!

Glad you are back home with Clawdus.

I recommend making up a daily schedule for pills and puffers to help you keep track of what to take when.
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

I am very glad that came through this one, Fred. Prompt action on your part certainly helped. Get well, albeit slowly and carefully. A big hug from Alberta. :)
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Oh my goodness Fred!! :o I'm so sorry to hear this and glad you are on the mend at home!! You take care and I think what Elizabeth recommended is a very good idea. My parents have had little books and written down everything they take in terms of medication or what they eat. They had/have a little book right at the table and document everything. Dad still keeps that up even though Mom is now gone. For her it was absolutely necessary but for Dad not as much, but it's still a good point of reference for him and his doctor.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Post by fred »

Thanks for all the support, I am still looking for a apt. and my lungs are now clear. i was out today in the heat and had no problems. It was pneumonia in the right lung and consumptive heart failure filled the other one with fluid, although I never went into fibrillation, it is quite irregular.
Oh yes, I have all my pills in little boxes for each day, and all my puffers in a bag. My diet has changed and I'm styling it after the hospital food which was really quite good. Yes, I know!

No ice cream, but there's frozen yogurt that is beautiful. It'a an interesting balance between enough water to allow my kidneys to remove sugar from my blood, but not enough to that clogging my lungs again.
I was down to less than 5% lung functionality/capacity when I went to the hospital.

Wouldn't have been all bad. I bet I'd get to see Denis ten skate, :D Heck I'd get to see Frick & Frack. I once saw Mr. Frick do that table position beautifully, & all the length of the Old Montreal Forum. That was sublime too. Anyway, There's time enough for that when I'm no longer here. For now you'll all have to put up with me a little longer.

noticingthe heat here inside as well. It's 80 F here and i believe that's 27.5 C. Im's no longer drinking water from the tap, I refridgerate it first and I may add a lemon to the next one. Time for puffers & evening pills. later.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I'm glad you are doing so much better Fred!! :) No, please don't go anywhere!! :|
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Post by fred »

Well, i may be hanging around for a little while. It's not as easy as it used to be, but it's quite a show. I'm doing what I can for Julian Assange these days. Later I'll be down at the Peace Vigil as I am most Saturdays.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

fred wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:27 am Well, i may be hanging around for a little while. It's not as easy as it used to be, but it's quite a show. I'm doing what I can for Julian Assange these days. Later I'll be down at the Peace Vigil as I am most Saturdays.
Hopefully for a long while...enjoy your Saturday.
fred

Post by fred »

I'm still here and in pretty good shape. They cleared out my lungs completely and I can breath much better than I have been breathing for 3 years now. I want to get on the bicycle and start exercising, but the doctor said wait until the heat & humidity subside. Otherwise I could damage my lungs. Well, I don't want to do that.

I'll havea quick look at the skating posts & then I have to get back to other things.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

fred wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:33 am I'm still here and in pretty good shape. They cleared out my lungs completely and I can breath much better than I have been breathing for 3 years now. I want to get on the bicycle and start exercising, but the doctor said wait until the heat & humidity subside. Otherwise I could damage my lungs. Well, I don't want to do that.

I'll havea quick look at the skating posts & then I have to get back to other things.
Good to hear about your improvement, Fred. Be sure to avoid exercise in the heat and humidity - that is good advice for everyone but especially those with lung "issues"!

Continue to take care & keep improving :)
fred

Post by fred »

Thanks.. I've just had my "puffers" before getting ready for bed. At least one of them is a steroid, but not anabolic. Can I still compete for the Olympics? :lol:
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

fred wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:30 pm Thanks.. I've just had my "puffers" before getting ready for bed. At least one of them is a steroid, but not anabolic. Can I still compete for the Olympics? :lol:
Which event were you planning on competing in, Fred :lol:
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

fred wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:30 pm Thanks.. I've just had my "puffers" before getting ready for bed. At least one of them is a steroid, but not anabolic. Can I still compete for the Olympics? :lol:
Haha, cute Fred! I'm glad you're doing better!
fred

Post by fred »

Oh yes. I've lost 9 pounds and 2 inches off my waist. I can easily tie my shoes again and bending over to pet the cat doesn't result in almost having a stroke from the blood pressure rush like it used to.
I was thinking of Mens Singles, but Hey! If any of you want to do pairs I could have a go. I have this idea for a throw jump that nobody has done yet and it's a good one for high rotations. :D :lol: :lol:
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Haha...what's your secret Fred?
fred

Post by fred »

Well, I can't reveal that. Then everybody will be doing it. :D :lol:
Last edited by fred on Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

:lol: Oh really?! haha
fred

Post by fred »

I changed the misspelling of "ding" to "doing." Was that the funny part? Sorry.

Anyway I am into second gear for packing & cleaning. I had a sore throat last night and I took an Oreganol pill, (oregano oil capsule), and stayed warm. It worked. The sore throat is gone but I still feel a little tired. I stayed home today to conserve energy, because Friday is moving day and I'll need to be able to interact with my helpers and I'll need to have all my energy.

It was hot today, some of you in Ontario are getting it hotter, I understand, but I'm going to take a belated nap so I can work better tonight and get things going well for tomorrow.
I have a couple of very nice cat people who will take my Clawdius. for a short time or permanently as needed. I'm hoping that I can get an apt. soon, but you never know. i have contingency plans all over and we'll see how it goes.

Here we are in the off season and the board is fairly active. That's great. I hope everyone is having a good week end.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

So you have to move out but don't yet have a "permanent" alternate location? I'm glad you have been able to make arrangements for Clawdius, at least in the meantime.

Take care, don't overdo, and be careful mixing your prescription medication with other things, even if they are "natural" there can sometimes be undesirable interactions.

Good luck!

P.S it really is no longer the "off season" once the junior international events get started :)
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

fred wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:44 pm I changed the misspelling of "ding" to "doing." Was that the funny part? Sorry.
No, I would never laugh or correct someone publicly like that. I understood what you meant. My laughing was in response to what I thought was a joke by you about everyone trying it. I don't laugh at people, but I was trying to laugh with you.
fred wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:44 pm Here we are in the off season and the board is fairly active. That's great. I hope everyone is having a good week end.
That's certainly very true Fred. Years ago it wasn't anywhere as interesting. I suppose events were taking place, at least for a number of years, but the coverage, and quality of coverage have really improved haven't they?! It's much more interesting anyway.
fred

Post by fred »

Oh, OK. I took no offence either way Kitty. ;)

I've never paid much attention to the Juniors. You are, no doubt correct, Elizabeth technically, but I personally don't think of the "season" as being underway until the first Senior event. Just my own personal quirk, I guess. Can the season really be underway without Virtue & Moir??? I miss them already. :?
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Probably this is your response because that's how it used be.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

fred wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:47 pm Oh, OK. I took no offence either way Kitty. ;)

I've never paid much attention to the Juniors. You are, no doubt correct, Elizabeth technically, but I personally don't think of the "season" as being underway until the first Senior event. Just my own personal quirk, I guess. Can the season really be underway without Virtue & Moir??? I miss them already. :?
Even Virtue & Moir started out as Juniors, Fred - I even remember watching them compete as Novices :) When you watch the "young ones" you sometimes see a future star - in fact some of them are more impressive when young. I enjoy following them over the years of their careers.
fred

Post by fred »

I saw Virtue & Moir at a summer skate exabition in Barry Ont. They were still Juniors, but I knew they were going to win stuff. I remember saying so at the time to people around me. Yes. They had "IT"