The Thank You Canada tour!

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

The Thank You Canada tour!

Post by Elizabeth »

Reminiscent of the days of the Skate the Nation tour that visited smaller centres across Canada, a new tour has been put together to cross the country in October-November of this year.

The quote below is from the home page of the tour. See the dates and locations here: https://thethankyoucanadatour.ca/
Canada has produced the most talented figure skaters in the history of the sport with household names like Virtue, Moir, Chan, Osmond, Stojko and more who have reached the pinnacle of the sport in the Canadian Nationals, World Titles and Olympic Games. As a ‘thank you’ to their home country, these Canadian greats will embark on The Thank You Canada Tour, presented by Round Room this fall.

"When we tackle a project, we want to be all in. That level of investment is critical for us, and we know it's when we produce our best work. Putting together a skating show that feels fresh, vibrant, and different is an incredible challenge we are fully embracing, and we're committed to ensuring audiences get a spectacular show,” says Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir

“I feel as if our careers are just beginning. We’re joining forces to bring a new show to all Canadians. There are so many amazing people across Canada who have supported this group, we wanted to thank them all. We are going to do just that,” adds Patrick Chan.

The 2018 tour cast features five-time Olympic Medalists, three-time World Champions and eight-time National Champions Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir; three-time Olympic Medalist, three-time World Champion, and ten-time National Champion Patrick Chan; three-time Olympic Medalist, four-time World Medalist, seven-time National Champions Meagan Duhamel & Eric Radford; three-time Olympic Medalist, three-time National Champion, World Champion Kaetlyn Osmond; and two-time Olympic Medalist, three-time World Champion, and seven-time National Champion Elvis Stojko and many more!
Kaetlyn's participation in this tour is obviously why she is not available for the GP series this fall.
Elizabeth

Re: The Thank You Canada tour!

Post by Elizabeth »

Some more information about what's behind this tour: https://www.thestar.com/life/2018/06/05 ... -tour.html
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Unfortunately it's not coming here, but it IS where my family lives and as luck would have it I should be there at the time as my sister's birthday is on the 18th of October.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

kittykins wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:53 am Unfortunately it's not coming here, but it IS where my family lives and as luck would have it I should be there at the time as my sister's birthday is on the 18th of October.
Hope you get to see the show! I'll be joining some friends in Kingston for the show on November 8th :)

[The tour pre-sale code currently in use is SMOKE ]
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Thanks!! I hope so too! I didn't know you could buy them in advance. I'll do that now.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Tickets went on sale to the general public at 10 a.m. (local time) today.

It was just announced that a second show has been added for St. John's, NF @3:30 p.m. on November 24th.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Well, I had to do it then. I didn't get perfect seats, but pretty good I guess. I was somewhat disappointed, but they were definitely flying off the site. However we'll be in the 5th row which isn't too shabby. My sister and I are going together and so that will be really nice.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Tessa & Scott have been busy touring in Japan but they are back in Canada now and promoting the tour: https://www.tsn.ca/virtue-and-moir-crea ... -1.1135921

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Here's the full segment from CTV's "Your Morning" - it was replayed today as part of their August Holiday Monday programming: https://www.ctv.ca/YourMorning/Articles ... ance-moves
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Announced today - one final city (with two shows) added - Mississauga on Oct. 28th.

kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Danielle Earl has been in Montreal with the skaters as they rehearsed and prepared for the tour. She tweeted this photo today:
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

If you're attending any of the shows, choreographer Sam Chouinard is teaching some "flash mob" choreography for the audience members here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BoX5eKIluj1 ... o1q1989qz5
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The first show of the tour was in Abbotsford, BC last evening. I've seen glowing reviews + some photos & video clips on Twitter.

Eric Radford played "Storm" on the piano at one point while Patrick skated.

Tessa and Scott did some dancing on a stage on the ice.

I'm looking forward to seeing the show in November in Kingston, ON!

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Someone who went to the "meet and greet" after last night's show reports that Weaver & Poje intend to alternate between their new rhythm dance and their new free dance in the first act of the show. They have a new exhibition for the 2nd act.

The same person's reports from the show implies that the first act involved most skaters doing favourite numbers from the past with all new material in the second act. There were group numbers and mini-group numbers, of course.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judy

Post by Judy »

A friend is going tonight and I just told her I expected it would be much like SOI. Oops, sounds like I was wrong!

Enjoy it Elizabeth. I look forward to your review. Anyone else going?
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Judy wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:55 pm A friend is going tonight and I just told her I expected it would be much like SOI. Oops, sounds like I was wrong!

Enjoy it Elizabeth. I look forward to your review. Anyone else going?
When Tessa and Scott announced the tour they made the point that it would be different from tours in which they had previously participated - they had things they wanted to do and had never been able to as they weren't "in charge". It sounds as if they have succeeded :)

Kittykins will be going shortly after mid-October with her sister - I hope she'll give us a report.
Judy

Post by Judy »

No one to blame but myself for not going to Abbotsford. 😢
fred

Post by fred »

Yes, That sounds like something to see. I don't think I will get to though. I'll look forward to that report.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Elizabeth wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:29 pm
Kittykins will be going shortly after mid-October with her sister - I hope she'll give us a report.
Thanks and I'll try. Ya, that will be here before I know it and I'm looking forward to it. My nephew is the special events coordinator at the arena, so maybe he'll meet some of the skaters. ;)

Oh no Judy, that's too bad. I know, these things happened. I missed a show once in my home city and I was disappointed about that, so I know the feeling. It's too bad they aren't going to more cities. I'm just fortunate my family is in one of the cities where it will be shown.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

My nephew is the special events coordinator at the arena and he said they have 4 trucks of lights etc.! This will be quite amazing I'm quite sure.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Thank You Canada Tour 50%.jpg
Hi all, I enjoyed the show in Brandon this afternoon. It was really great. My brother-in-law took more close up pictures and I hope to post some of these later. He was up very high and got some very good shots. There are already some up from others here: https://twitter.com/tyct18?lang=en They encouraged everyone to take as many pictures & videos as they wanted. Tessa and Scott and Elvis were the most popular and got standing ovations. In the first half the skaters performed skates from the past such as Elvis skating to the Bruce Lee karate number. They skated to the song Memories before the first half ended and I had to blow my nose during the intermission, haha. Near the end they had everyone turn on their phone flash lights which looked quite cool. The end number with the skin coloured body suits and diamonds was quite beautiful to the Rhianna's Diamonds song, although my father would think it was risque, lol. They brought all their own equipment with them including the screens. I bought a t-shirt, the black one with the maple leaf on the front and their names on the back. There was a cool one with a flag with all their names in the maple leaf. Shirts were selling for $30. Anyway, more this week hopefully.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

So glad you enjoyed it - I'm looking forward to the Kingston show early next month.

Another friend, who lives in Winnipeg, was at the Brandon show today too. She has posted some photos from the first 1/2 on her Facebook page with more to come. I believe she was in an on-ice seat - a birthday gift from a friend.

The tour website has a "store" on it - the shirts, hoodies, etc. can be ordered from there.
fred

Post by fred »

That sounds like a great event. Wonderful.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

My brother-in-law dropped off a CD with his 144 pictures!! :o They're REALLY great! :D I'm busy this morning and early afternoon, but I'll try to post a few on here. It's going to be hard to pick favourites, believe me.

Ok, here's my photobucket: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/KittyKi ... our%202018
Pictures by Tom Wenham

The Brandon Sun has full page story on the front page: