Confirmed: Medvedeva changing coaches & training sites

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

Confirmed: Medvedeva changing coaches & training sites

Post by Elizabeth »

There is word out of Russia today that Elena Medvedeva has left her long-time coach, Eteri Tutberidze. There has been no announcement of her new coaching arrangement but rumours mention Brian Orser.

This is from Phil Hersh on Twitter:
Just got this text from 1984 Olympic pairs champion & longtime coach Oleg Vasiliev: "We all knew that she will leave Eteri sooner or later. Today it was kind of official. We just don’t know for sure who will be Medvedeva’s new coach. Most likely it will be Brian. I hope so."
It reminds me of Yagudin leaving Mishin when Plushenko became the "chosen one". Apparently I'm not the only one - this is from the translation of a Russian article on Twitter:
#AlexeiYagudin compared #EvgeniaMedvedeva leaving #EteriTutberidze with his departure from #AlexeiMishin to #TatianaTarasova. "I have already said before that two people can not win, they can not train with one coach."
Last edited by Elizabeth on Mon May 07, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyheini

Re: Medvedeva changing coaches

Post by happyheini »

Would be very interesting to see what kind of a skater Brian would make out of her. I hope he would reduce the number of arm-over-head jumps. While they are point-grabbing and interesting once in a while it gets tedious to see it with each and every jump.
fred

Post by fred »

If Brian is coaching her, (or most any other coach, really), they will not turn up their noses at POINTS! The content of the skates are defined by the rules, and the objective is to win.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

From Europe on Ice via Twitter:
The Russian Figure Skating Federation has confirmed earlier today that Evgenia Medvedeva has left Eteri Tutberidze and is moving to Canada to train with Brian Orser.
Another skating is apparently also leaving Eteri Tutberize, according to IFS Magazine via Twitter:
Polina Tsurskaya confirmed today she is no longer working with Eteri Tutberidze.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Some translated quotes from Evgenia's statement (issued in Russian):
"I want a long career, it is because of this that such changes in my life are taking place. You do not know how much I'm feeling now, I have more motivation than ever before."
"I am not afraid of moving to Canada and I will not be uncomfortable there. I hope that my English will allow me to communicate normally."
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

Brian sure is picking up the cream of crop and continues to to improve and build on their talents. We'll see how much she will be "transformed" if at all in the coming season.
Elizabeth

Re: Medvedeva moving to Brian Orser

Post by Elizabeth »

Orser's side of what has happened and what will be happening: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2018/05/07/275657578
kittykins

Re: Confirmed: Medvedeva changing coaches & training sites

Post by kittykins »

Wow!! Well, I can't say I blame her. It seems that in many ways the Russian coaching atmosphere is rather toxic. There is so much pressure on the Russian girls and comments like the skaters have no puberty and need to eat less will have a very negative affect on their skating program in Russia. It was clear she was no longer the favourite with the coach...brutal. Perhaps other Russian skaters will follow when they see how Evgenia has more control over her programs. I sort of agree that despite the fact that Alina won, was she really emotionally ready to handle the stress of the Olympics and what came after?! I think not. Perhaps she SHOULD have stayed in juniors another year. Well, Brian is really the best coach in the biz...congratulations to him for doing so well as a coach...well deserved.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Post by fred »

Yes, Kitty. & Elizabeth, Thank-you for that article. It was interesting. I have seen video of training at the Bolshoi Ballet Company, and the directors are brutal with the dancers. Compared to, for instance, the Royal Winnipeg Ballet, the Russian system is not one I would want to be in. Now if this carries over to Skating, there should be a lot of Russian skaters looking for coaching here.
Unfortunately, the Bolshoi gets better results, according to the reviews. But they never went up against Brian Orser. :lol: I think Medvedeva & her mother will like it here, and I think.
They can start writing the record books because Medvedeva will have Gold in 2022. (good grief, 2022!?!), I may not even be alive by then and we might not have this board to talk to each other. Those numbers are getting large.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

There's more from Phil Hersh's blog on the Medvedeva move: http://www.globetrottingbyphiliphersh.c ... -medvedeva
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

Very interesting back-stage information. Thank you, Elizabeth.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

A first look at Evgenia's SP to "Orange Coloured Sky" at the Open Skates (test skates) in Moscow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urWLxxf ... r_embedded

She was accompanied to Russia by Brian Orser and David Wilson. People are commenting about the improvement in her double axel since making the move.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Thanks for posting this Elizabeth!

Wow - what an improvement in her! I've been wanting to see if I would notice a difference and boy do I! Zagitova's SP played right after this on youtube, and it's clear that Medvedeva shows as the more refined skater by a long shot. Interesting to see Tarasova watching from the boards. Her applause was lengthy and enthusiastic for Medvedeva, and short and polite for Zagitova. It says it all.

I did notice what a point Medvedeva made about showing that LOOOOONG outside edge going into the opening lutz. No one in Orser's team is going to get called for a flutz! ;)

Do you know how the scores shook down Elizabeth? Or were there any if it was just a test event?
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I know nothing about scoring, Kevin. I think I read that only the juniors were judged and got protocols. I know that the FS will be tomorrow.

I noticed Tarasova's reaction too :D
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

A video of Evgenia's FS at the "open skates" to an Astor Piazzolla Medley by Yo-Yo Ma:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm0x6cN1dDY

Notice the size of the crowd! [They allowed the public to pay to watch the free skates.]

Someone who was there made some comments:
Am not sure about the program yet, but it has lots of potential and it’s a very different and difficult style for her.
I like how the music sounds at the arena. Her axel is definitely better and has more height.
What really struck me - she is not in her best shape, performing for the first time after her move, in front of the big crowd, Eteri and others, but she came on the ice and didn’t look nervous or frightened at all. She said later in the interview that she had forgotten part of the program and had to improvise, but the audience didn’t notice it at all.
Someone else agreed and added:
I also noticed that her triple toes in combination are much better as well- a lot more flow between the jumps
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

A new article on Yevgenia:
Yevgenia Medvedeva on coaching change, moving past controversy and new outlook on figure skating
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018/10/ ... e-skating/