ISU World Championships - Milan, Italy - March 19-25, 2018

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
kittykins

Re: ISU World Championships - Milan, Italy - March 19-25, 2018

Post by kittykins »

happyheini wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:00 am No, Kitty, I have been retired for over 20 years, :D but I was in Mexico during the Olympics and they didn't stream or video anything across the border.
Oh haha...I hope I made you feel young! I hope you enjoy watching them. My plan is to be in Montreal in 2020. I'm afraid I'll have to wait until then to see anything live. I wanted to go to NB for Canadians but I don't think I'll be able to swing it and do Montreal as well.

Thanks Elizabeth for the info.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

More changes to the list of participants at Worlds - from: http://www.usfigureskating.org/story?id ... type=media
U.S. Olympic Team member Karen Chen has withdrawn from the ladies event, while Tarah Kayne and Danny O’Shea have withdrawn from the pairs event.

Second alternate Mariah Bell will replace Chen in the ladies competition. Ashley Wagner, the first alternate, declined an invitation to the event. Bell finished fifth at the 2018 U.S. Championships. In the 2016-17 season, Bell won the silver medal at Skate America and won bronze at the U.S. Championships. She finished 12th at the World Championships last season.

Deanna Stellato and Nathan Bartholomay will replace Kayne and O’Shea in the pairs competition. Stellato and Bartholomay have been U.S. medalists in each of their two seasons, earning pewter in 2017 and bronze in 2018.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Wow - this really is turning into a bizarre event. It seems there are more withdrawals then I ever remember. I'm really concerned how this will play out for some countries, and their chances to secure spots for next year's Worlds.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Kevin wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:55 am Wow - this really is turning into a bizarre event. It seems there are more withdrawals then I ever remember. I'm really concerned how this will play out for some countries, and their chances to secure spots for next year's Worlds.
The spots for 2019 Worlds will definitely be something to watch, Kevin.

Several of the withdrawals seem to be due to stress fractures/similar injuries, not just the usual post-Olympic fallout.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Danielle Earl's last time conversion of the season is below - I believe the one for Sunday, March 25th may be out by an hour as Milan goes to Daylight Saving Time overnight March 24-25, putting them back into 6 hours ahead of EDT rather than 5 as they are now.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The schedule/entries/results page is now up: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/wc2018/

Practices are underway in Milan although not everyone has yet arrived - Jackie Wong is tweeting some practice notes that should appear on his www.rockerskating.com website.

Competition begins on Wednesday and CBC TV coverage begins on Wednesday evening at 7 p.m. local time.

The ISU has put up a preview article: https://isu.org/inside-single-pair-skat ... teParam=15
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

When I think of Milan, I think of the Duomo (and remember walking on its root many years ago). Obviously, those presenting the Worlds have a similar image in mind with their very original "kiss 'n cry"!
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

hoping for some divine intervention perhaps?
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

Pleased to see some high ranking Olympians chose to participate, so some other hopefuls may have to wait another year before stepping onto the podium - a very interesting last event of this this exciting season.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

A reminder that the CBC schedule for streaming and TV can be found here: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winte ... /broadcast

Here are the latest details (but be sure to check your local schedule):

TV (most times LOCAL):
  • Wed Mar 21 - 7:00 PM - Road to the Olympic Games | World Figure Skating Championships: Ladies and Pairs Short Program - Local Time
  • Thu Mar 22 - 7:00 PM - Road to the Olympic Games | World Figure Skating Championships: Men Short and Pairs Free Programs. - Local Time
  • Fri Mar 23 - 7:00 PM - Road to the Olympic Games: World Figure Skating Championships: Ice Dance Short and Ladies Free Programs - Local Time
  • Sat Mar 24 - 3:00 PM - Road to the Olympic Games | World Figure Skating Championships: Men and Ice Dance Free Programs - EDT
  • Sun Apr 1 - 8:00 PM - Road to the Olympic Games | World Figure Skating Championships: Gala - Local Time
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

STREAMING (all times EDT):
  • Wed Mar 21 - 5:45 AM - World Figure Skating Championships: Ladies Short Program
  • Wed Mar 21 - 1:20 PM - World Figure Skating Championships: Pairs Short Program
  • Wed Mar 21 - 6:00 PM - Road to the Olympic Games | World Figure Skating Championships: Ladies and Pairs Short Program (also on TV)
  • Thu Mar 22 - 5:05 AM - World Figure Skating Championships: Men Short Program
  • Thu Mar 22 - 1:55 PM - World Figure Skating Championships: Pairs Free Program
  • Thu Mar 22 - 6:00 PM - Road to the Olympic Games | World Figure Skating Championships: Men Short and Pairs Free Programs. (also on TV)
  • Fri Mar 23 - 6:00 AM - World Figure Skating Championships: Ice Dance Short Dance
  • Fri Mar 23 - 1:30 PM - World Figure Skating Championships: Ladies Free Program
  • Fri Mar 23 - 6:00 PM - Road to the Olympic Games: World Figure Skating Championships: Ice Dance Short and Ladies Free Programs (also on TV)
  • Sat Mar 24 - 5:00 AM - World Figure Skating Championships: Men Free Program
  • Sat Mar 24 - 10:20 AM - World Figure Skating Championships: Ice Dance Free Program
  • Sat Mar 24 - 3:00 PM - Road to the Olympic Games | World Figure Skating Championships: Men and Ice Dance Free Programs (also on TV)
  • Sun Mar 25 - 8:30 AM - World Figure Skating Championships: Gala
  • Sun Apr 1 - 7:00 PM - Road to the Olympic Games | World Figure Skating Championships: Gala (also on TV)
CBC will be represented in Milan by PJ Kwong and Paul Martini - they were in the stands watching practices today.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Elizabeth wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:02 pm
CBC will be represented in Milan by PJ Kwong and Paul Martini - they were in the stands watching practices today.
GREAT!! That's very good news for fans! Thanks for all the info.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

kittykins wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:14 pm
Elizabeth wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:02 pm
GREAT!! That's very good news for fans! Thanks for all the info.
Don't be misled - PJ and Paul will be there to do interviews, write articles, etc. The regular CBC host and play-by-play commentators will be in the studio in Toronto, as during the GP season, as far as I know.

At practices today -
Last edited by Elizabeth on Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Bad news for 2 of the pairs skaters (one of them Canadian) -
From Meagan Duhamel on Twitter -
Extremely disappointed in @lufthansa who lost the luggage and skates of two pairs skaters competing at #WorldFigure in Milan tomorrow!!! This is unacceptable 😡🤬 #findthosebags #Lufthansa #terribleservice
From Jackie Wong on Twitter -
Drew Wolfe and Alex Kang Chan Kam were not on practice yesterday. The pairs short program is tomorrow. Luckily, there are boot and blade folks onsite, but geez.
Hope this gets "sorted" QUICKLY!

According to some sources, Alex's partner has her skates but no luggage. Edea is providing Alex with skates. They may have to skate in rented black leotards.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Ok, thanks for the info.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The start order for the 37 ladies has been posted: http://www.isuresults.com/results/seaso ... SEG003.HTM
Larkyn Austman will be in Group 2 while Gabby Daleman and Kaetlyn Osmond will be in Groups 6 & 7 respectively.
Only 24 ladies will go forward to the free skate.

The detailed time schedule (in local time) is here: http://www.isuresults.com/results/seaso ... hedule.pdf
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The start order for the 28 pairs is now up: http://www.isuresults.com/results/seaso ... SEG005.HTM
Only the top 16 will be going forward to the free skate :(

The detailed time schedule (Milan time): http://www.isuresults.com/results/seaso ... hedule.pdf

I see that both of the couples who were missing equipment are listed - I hope that means that they will actually be able to compete.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I believe this will be:

Larken at 7:07 a.m. ET

Gabby at 9:59 a.m. ET

Kaetlyn at 11:25 a.m. ET
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

kittykins wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:25 pm I believe this will be:

Larken at 7:07 a.m. ET

Gabby at 9:59 a.m. ET

Kaetlyn at 11:25 a.m. ET
Yes, those are the start times for the short programs of Larkyn, Gabby & Kaetlyn for those of us in EDT. Milan is 5 hours ahead of us through Saturday and will be back to the "normal" 6 hours ahead as of Sunday.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The CBC live stream http://www.cbc.ca/1.4581681 had a brief "hiccup" as the replay of Larkyn's skate was going on and we missed part of the next skater's program before they got it back on line. The first resurfacing is happening now. I've seen many familiar faces in the crowd, which is fairly sparse in the early going.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

PJ & Paul did a Facebook live between the ladies and pairs short programs today: https://t.co/JThqLyHcyE

The conversation ranged from the Olympics to Worlds, etc.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The start order for the men's SP tomorrow: http://www.isuresults.com/results/seaso ... SEG001.HTM

The detailed time schedule (Milan time - 5 hours ahead of EDT): http://www.isuresults.com/results/seaso ... hedule.pdf
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

These tweets from Meagan Duhamel as the third group of pairs is on the ice:
Let’s all give a round of applause to @edeaskates and @JacksonUltima for giving @DrewWolfe_ brand new skates and blades YESTERDAY so he could compete today at #WorldFigure after @lufthansa lost his bags and hasn’t found them yet!
Add @DrewWolfe_ wearing brand new skates and a new type of blade he’s never worn until yesterday to that bundle of things to watch for!
And Jackie Wong reminded everyone:
A reminder that there are two VERY brand new pairs of skates in these next two groups, Lufthansa lost the luggage for both Drew Wolfe and Alex Kam
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Drew is an incredible athlete to be able to pull that off!!! I was impressed.

I'm glad the Canadians won't be too early tomorrow. :mrgreen: I've caught the sore throat & ears bug and so I'm laying low, not too low for skating though! :lol: I'll say watch out for Nathan Chen...he'll be out for redemption.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Tomorrow will begin (very early EDT) with the men's SP: http://www.isuresults.com/results/seaso ... SEG001.HTM

Detailed time schedule (Milan time; 5 hours ahead of EDT): http://www.isuresults.com/results/seaso ... hedule.pdf

There was fear on Tuesday that Shoma Uno would be withdrawing from the competition - he apparently started using new boots after the Olympics and they have been bothering his foot. He only practiced for a few minutes on Tuesday and then went to a hospital for x-rays as there was a suspicion of something more than the boot issue. Thankfully, that turned out not to be true and he has apparently insisted on competing.

The second event of the day tomorrow will be the pairs FS: http://www.isuresults.com/results/seaso ... SEG006.HTM

Detailed time schedule (Milan time): http://www.isuresults.com/results/seaso ... hedule.pdf

Canada will definitely not have 3 pair spots for Worlds 2019 and we will only be have to have 2 pair spots if Moore-Towers & Marinaro maintain their 10th place (or higher). Since she is apparently skating injured, that may be a bit of a challenge :(