ISU World Championships - Milan, Italy - March 19-25, 2018

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

ISU World Championships - Milan, Italy - March 19-25, 2018

Post by Elizabeth »

The official website for the event: http://www.milano2018.com/en/

The official entries (and substitutes) by discipline are now available here: http://www.isuresults.com/events/fsevent03111509.htm The streaming and TV schedules for CBC can be found here: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winte ... /broadcast

STREAMING (all times EST):
  • Wed Mar 21 - 5:45 AM - World Figure Skating Championships: Ladies Short Program
  • Wed Mar 21 - 1:45 PM - World Figure Skating Championships: Pairs Short Program
  • Wed Mar 21 - 6:00 PM - Road to the Olympic Games | World Figure Skating Championships: Ladies and Pairs Short Program (also on TV)
  • Thu Mar 22 - 5:00 AM - World Figure Skating Championships: Men Short Program
  • Thu Mar 22 - 1:45 PM - World Figure Skating Championships: Pairs Free Program
  • Thu Mar 22 - 6:00 PM - Road to the Olympic Games | World Figure Skating Championships: Men Short and Pairs Free Programs. (also on TV)
  • Fri Mar 23 - 6:00 AM - World Figure Skating Championships: Ice Dance Short Dance
  • Fri Mar 23 - 1:30 PM - World Figure Skating Championships: Ladies Free Program
  • Fri Mar 23 - 6:00 PM - Road to the Olympic Games: World Figure Skating Championships: Ice Dance Short and Ladies Free Programs (also on TV)
  • Sat Mar 24 - 5:00 AM - World Figure Skating Championships: Men Free Program
  • Sat Mar 24 - 10:15 AM - World Figure Skating Championships: Ice Dance Free Program
  • Sat Mar 24 - 3:00 PM - Road to the Olympic Games | World Figure Skating Championships: Men and Ice Dance Free Programs (also on TV)
  • Sun Mar 25 - 8:30 AM - World Figure Skating Championships: Gala
  • Sun Apr 1 - 7:00 PM - Road to the Olympic Games | World Figure Skating Championships: Gala (also on TV)
TV (most times LOCAL):
  • Wed Mar 21 - 7:00 PM - Road to the Olympic Games | World Figure Skating Championships: Ladies and Pairs Short Program - Local Time
  • Thu Mar 22 - 7:00 PM - Road to the Olympic Games | World Figure Skating Championships: Men Short and Pairs Free Programs. - Local Time
  • Fri Mar 23 - 7:00 PM - Road to the Olympic Games: World Figure Skating Championships: Ice Dance Short and Ladies Free Programs - Local Time
  • Sat Mar 24 - 3:00 PM - Road to the Olympic Games | World Figure Skating Championships: Men and Ice Dance Free Programs - EST
  • Sun Apr 1 - 8:00 PM - Road to the Olympic Games | World Figure Skating Championships: Gala - Local Time
kittykins

Re: ISU World Championships - Milan, Italy - March 19-25, 2018

Post by kittykins »

Thanks. It's interesting that Elladj Baldé is listed as an alternate even though he announced his retirement. I guess he hasn't done anything to lose his eligibility at this point.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

kittykins wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:13 pm Thanks. It's interesting that Elladj Baldé is listed as an alternate even though he announced his retirement. I guess he hasn't done anything to lose his eligibility at this point.
He was listed as an official alternate at the end of Canadians and apparently Skate Canada submitted his name to the ISU, presumably with his consent. Elladj is actually skating in the "Art on Ice" show in Switzerland at the moment so he wouldn't have far to go if he got called in, in an emergency.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

And Stolbova/Klimov listed as second alternate?? Isn't she in a cast somewhere??
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Kevin wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:09 pm And Stolbova/Klimov listed as second alternate?? Isn't she in a cast somewhere??
Yes, but I gather that was quite recent, perhaps just before the deadline for submissions. The whole Russian team, especially in pairs and dance is in a bit of disarray, I think. They are just trying to "cover their bases", I believe.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Update from USFS regarding their Worlds team: http://www.usfigureskating.org/story?id ... type=media
Aaron, Hawayek/Baker Added to 2018 World Team

U.S. Figure Skating announced today roster changes for the upcoming 2018 ISU World Figure Skating Championships, set to be held in Milan from March 19-25, 2018.

Olympic Team Event bronze medalist Adam Rippon and two-time Olympic bronze medalists Maia and Alex Shibutani have withdrawn from the event.

Third alternate Max Aaron will replace Rippon in the men’s event. Both Jason Brown and Ross Miner, the first and second alternates, respectively, declined invitations to the event. Aaron won the bronze medal at Cup of China in the fall, and recently placed fifth at the Four Continents Championships. This will mark Aaron’s fourth appearance at the World Championships.

First alternates Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker will replace the Shibutanis in the ice dance event. The duo won the Four Continents Championships in February and placed fourth at the 2018 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships.

In total, sixteen athletes will represent the United States in Milan later this month.
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

Oh, I was hoping to see Jason Brown again, he is one of my favourite skaters. Is he planning to retire?
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

happyheini wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:19 pm Oh, I was hoping to see Jason Brown again, he is one of my favourite skaters. Is he planning to retire?
There are rumours of a coaching change for Jason but nothing has been confirmed/announced at this point.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Here is the time and practice schedule for Worlds (in local time): http://www.isuresults.com/events/WC2018 ... hedule.pdf
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

As anticipated, it has been announced that Yuzuru Hanyu has withdrawn from this month’s Worlds in Milan due to injury. He will be replaced by Kazuki Tomono. Yuzuru will be continuing to rest & rehabilitate his ankle.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I cannot understand why Ross Miner or Jason would not accept the invitation to Worlds, or why the Shibs would withdraw. With so many no longer participating, this could be a real opportunity to boost a world ranking, and/or help guarantee more spots for future worlds. I'm disappointed. Well.....not disappointed not to have to sit through another Shib's routine, to be honest :P I'm hoping that Soucis/Firus arrive and shake things up a LOT!
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Kevin wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:10 am I cannot understand why Ross Miner or Jason would not accept the invitation to Worlds, or why the Shibs would withdraw. With so many no longer participating, this could be a real opportunity to boost a world ranking, and/or help guarantee more spots for future worlds. I'm disappointed. Well.....not disappointed not to have to sit through another Shib's routine, to be honest :P I'm hoping that Soucis/Firus arrive and shake things up a LOT!
With respect to Ross Miner, I believe he has essentially retired from competition after an outstanding skate at US Nationals. I understand that Jason Brown may be in the process of a coaching change and has not been training. If he plans to continue competing, this is indeed a lost opportunity :(

The Shibutanis have been very busy with many non-skating activities since their return to the USA, as has Adam Rippon.

I'm looking forward to some interesting competition with the beginning of the ascent of some future stars :)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

News from China:
Sui and Han have withdrawn from the Worlds due to stress fracture on her 2nd metatarsal bone of right foot. She was already injured at the Olympics but didn't know it was fracture. She will need to rest for at least 6 to 8 weeks according to doctor's advice.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Elizabeth wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:51 am News from China:
Sui and Han have withdrawn from the Worlds due to stress fracture on her 2nd metatarsal bone of right foot. She was already injured at the Olympics but didn't know it was fracture. She will need to rest for at least 6 to 8 weeks according to doctor's advice.
Oh no!!!! Will these two ever be able to cut a break? I hope she can heal. With all the surgeries to her feet, this is certainly not good news.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The World Championships will make the 12th competition this season for Matteo Rizzo ITA who just won a bronze medal at Junior Worlds!

His 2017-18 season:
- Lombardia Trophy
- Nebelhorn Trophy
- JGP Poland
- JGP Italy
- Warsaw Cup
- Cup of Tyrol
- Italian nationals
- Europeans
- Olympic team event
- Olympic men's event
- Junior worlds
- Worlds

I think he has to be the hardest working skater out there this year!!
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Hope Matteo enjoys the short break while the rest of us adjust to this morning's time change.

In case you are wondering who the tiger is, that is the current Olympic ladies champion as she appeared in the Exhibition Gala in PyeongChang.
fred

Post by fred »

I still haven't reset my clocks. I saw the time change and then forget about it. It's caused no problems because I spent all day yesterday not looking at the clocks, so it made no difference.
---
I suppose I'll have to do that sometime soon. :)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

fred wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:26 am I still haven't reset my clocks. I saw the time change and then forget about it. It's caused no problems because I spent all day yesterday not looking at the clocks, so it made no difference.
---
I suppose I'll have to do that sometime soon. :)
Keeping this on the topic of the World Championships, be sure to check the CBC website and your local listings regarding times for Worlds. I understand that DST only comes into effect in Italy during the championships!
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Another high-level withdrawal from Worlds according to: http://www.espn.com/olympics/figureskat ... ing-worlds
MOSCOW -- Olympic figure skating silver medalist Evgenia Medvedeva has withdrawn from the world championships later this month, ending the prospect of another showdown for gold with her friend and rival Alina Zagitova.

The Russian Figure Skating Federation says Medvedeva has a recurrence of the foot injury which kept her out of the Grand Prix Finals last December.

During the Olympics, Medvedeva said the injury didn't bother her as she lost to Zagitova by 1.31 points for the gold medal.

However, the Russian federation now says Medvedeva "had to fight painful sensations while skating at the Olympics" and doctors have ordered her to strictly limit any jumps from her injured foot for at least four weeks "in order to avoid possible surgical intervention."

That makes Zagitova the clear favorite for gold at the March 21-25 championships in Milan.
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

The Worlds may turn out as exciting as the Olympics even without the retiring "stars". And I'll be home to watch it all :D
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

happyheini wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:23 pm The Worlds may turn out as exciting as the Olympics even without the retiring "stars". And I'll be home to watch it all :D
I'm looking forward to it - it will a chance for "redemption" for some; an opportunity to rise to the top (or at least the podium) for others; and the first view in the new quadrennial we might have of some "up and comers".
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

happyheini wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:23 pm The Worlds may turn out as exciting as the Olympics even without the retiring "stars". And I'll be home to watch it all :D
Great! Are you meaning you are recently retired?
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

No, Kitty, I have been retired for over 20 years, :D but I was in Mexico during the Olympics and they didn't stream or video anything across the border.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Jackie Wong reports that Denis Ten is out of Worlds and Abzal Rakimgaliev is in for KAZ.

Jackie also tweeted:
Daniel Samohin just posted on Instagram that he dislocated his shoulder again (currently still listed on the ISU entries list)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The Canadian team of 11 entries is en route to Milan according to this Skate Canada press release:
https://skatecanada.ca/2018/03/canadian ... pionships/