Looking ahead to Worlds 2018 participation (& looking back at other post-Olympic Worlds)

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

Looking ahead to Worlds 2018 participation (& looking back at other post-Olympic Worlds)

Post by Elizabeth »

Judy mentioned the issue of the field for this year's post-Olympic Worlds in the Javier thread and I thought I should start a new thread for that discussion :)

Entries for Worlds must be submitted by the federations "not later than Monday, February 26, 2018 – 20:00 h, local time Milan / ITA", that includes named alternates/substitutes. The latter may be subbed in up until the event begins.

As far as I know, these are the folks who have already said they will not go to Worlds 2018 in Milan:
  • Duhamel & Radford
  • Patrick Chan (to be replaced by first alternate Nam Nguyen, I believe)
  • Virtue & Moir
  • Javier Fernandez
The following seem to still be a "maybe" for Worlds:
  • Yuzuru Hanyu (his ankle is still injured and he may wish to continue rehab looking forward to next year)
  • Mikael Brezina
  • Alexei Bychenko
  • Misha Ge (dealing with an injury)
  • Denis Ten (dealing with an injury)
  • Adam Rippon
  • the Shibutani siblings
Last edited by Elizabeth on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Judy

Re: Looking ahead to Worlds 2018 - who will participate

Post by Judy »

I was going to provide a comparison of World attendance post-Olympics from 1988 forward until I realized the magnitude of the task! Certainly can't rely on my memory anymore. But, I'm pretty sure all the medalists from 1988 in Calgary went on to compete at Worlds. My guess for 2018 is that less than 1/2 of the medalists from these Olympics will compete at Worlds.

It's disappointment at not having the opportunity to see many of them one more time and to say thank you that upsets me.

That said, it will be an opportunity for others to shine. The first skater that came to mind when I read your reply to my initial post Elizabeth was Yuka Sato. She won 1994 Worlds. I watched that skate many times because of her wonderful footwork and skating skills.

Guess Stars on Ice is still an option.....
fred

Post by fred »

Thanks to the team event, many more of our Canadian skaters can be introduced as "Olympic Gold Medalists." I believe the SOI tour will be spending a little more on skaters' contracts this year.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Thanks to my "friend" Wikipedia I've been able to collect the information about the medal winners from previous Olympic years, Judy. This year we will probably see the most Canadians not proceed from the Olympics to Worlds but they are all announced as participating in the Canadian Stars on Ice tour.

Here's what I found for 1988 through 2014:
  • 1988 Olympics (Calgary) vs Worlds (Budapest, HUN) – all medalists participated; there was a slightly different results in Pairs
  • 1992 Olympics (Albertville, FRA) vs Worlds (Oakland, USA) – Paul Wiley, Midori Ito & the Duchesnays did not go
  • 1994 Olympics (Hamar, NOR) vs Worlds (Chiba, JPN) – Oksana Baiul, Nancy Kerrigan did not go; Chen Lu withdrew after the qualifying round; Gordeeva & Grinkov and Miskutenok & Dmitriev did not go; Grishuk & Platov; Usova & Zhulin; & Torvill & Dean did not go
  • 1998 Olympics (Nagano, JPN) vs Worlds (Minneapolis, USA) – Ilia Kulik, Elvis Stojko & Philippe Candeloro did not go; Tara Lipinski & Chen Lu did not go; Mandy Wotzel & Ingo Steuer did not go; Oksana Kazakova & Artur Dmitriev withdrew (food poisoning); Grishuk & Platov did not go
  • 2002 Olympics (Salt Lake City, USA) vs Worlds (Nagano, JPN) – Evgeni Plushenko did not go; Sarah Hughes did not go; Elena Berezhnaya & Anton Sikharulidza and Jamie Sale & David Pelletier did not go; Marina Anissina & Gwendal Peizerat and Barbara Fusar-Poli & Maurizio Margaglio did not go
  • 2006 Olympics (Turin, ITA) vs Worlds (Calgary) – Evgeni Plushenko did not go; Shizuka Arakawa & Irina Slutskaya did not go; Tatiana Totmianina & Maxim Marinin did not go; Tatiana Navka & Roman Kostomarov and Elena Grushina & Ruslan Goncharov did not go
  • 2010 Olympics (Vancouver) vs Worlds (Turin, ITA) – Evan Lysacek & Evgeni Plushenko did not go; Joannie Rochette did not go; Xue Shen & Hongbo Zhao did not go; Oksana Domnina & Maxim Shabalin did not go
  • 2014 Olympics (Sochi, RUS) vs Worlds (Saitama JPN) – Patrick Chan & Denis Ten did not go; Adelina Sotnikova & Yuna Kim did not go; Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov did not go; Meryl Davis & Charlie White and Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir did not go.
I attended 3 of the post-Olympic Worlds listed above, 1998, 2002 & 2006.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabeth

Re: Looking ahead to Worlds 2018 participation (& looking back at other post-Olympic Worlds)

Post by Elizabeth »

Yuzuru Hanyu has said at a press event during exhibition practice that he is still on painkillers.

Yuzuru Hanyu:
"It is launching into the lutz and loop that is causing pain but landing is okay as long as I am taking the painkillers."
On painkillers: Yuzuru Hanyu:
"I'll keep taking them so I don't lose my skating feeling but I will start reducing the dosage and then after that, I have to look at how I am feeling and take it from there."
On competing in Worlds 2018: Yuzuru Hanyu:
"I am still a bit undecided. I think it is the federation that will make an announcement about that. My ankle is not in good shape and I have to keep that in mind and take various things into consideration before coming to a decision."
Judy

Re: Looking ahead to Worlds 2018 participation (& looking back at other post-Olympic Worlds)

Post by Judy »

Once again, thank you Elizbeth. I feel guilty for not having made the effort! Your research demonstrates that skipping
Worlds is beyond a trend its almost the norm. I wonder if the ISU cares?
I know some people think Worlds should be cancelled in Olympic years but that wouldn't be fair to those skaters who worked hard all year but were not on the Olympic team.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Judy wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:17 pm Once again, thank you Elizbeth. I feel guilty for not having made the effort! Your research demonstrates that skipping
Worlds is beyond a trend its almost the norm. I wonder if the ISU cares?
I know some people think Worlds should be cancelled in Olympic years but that wouldn't be fair to those skaters who worked hard all year but were not on the Olympic team.
Doing the research brought back some good memories on a day when there were no PyeongChang figure skating replays to watch :)

The limits on the numbers who can participate in the Olympics would be the first reason I would use to vote against cancelling Worlds, even though the numbers at Worlds have also been reduced with the elimination of the Qualifying Rounds.

Even if some Olympians choose not to go to Worlds, for various reasons, it really can be an exciting event with some new stars starting to appear.

Worlds this year, in Milan, will have all of the Italians competing at home. For some of them it may be their last competition, so bitter sweet, but also potentially exciting based on what we saw at the Olympics.

Good luck to everyone who competes and happy watching to everyone who goes/watches from home :)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Stolbova and Klimov are out of Worlds - she is injured: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bfnd1JtHvKu/

It doesn't sound like she plans to retire though.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Elizabeth wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:10 pm Stolbova and Klimov are out of Worlds - she is injured: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bfnd1JtHvKu/
Hmmmmm...........
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Thanks for all the info.

Good grief, they are "all" a bunch of wrecks!! Injuries galore, whoa boy. It does make Worlds a bit of a letdown when skaters stop after the Olympics. Elvis was always game to continue which I appreciated, but of course he wasn't able to after Nagano due to injury. I understand why Virtue & Moir are finishing now...I mean how could they top their Olympic win and are wise to sit out Worlds to make sure they end on a high note. Patrick...I wish he'd go to Worlds to try to improve his placement. Also, Eric and Meagan might be able to win another world championships. However, I understand being "all done"...certainly I was like that when I retired. Sometimes you just can't continue.

My sister asked me who the "next one" in male skating would be. I told her I thought probably Stephen Gogolev. Do others agree?

I remember Liz Manley winning the silver medal again at the following Worlds, but strangely I don't really remember Brian Orser's skate. I think it was just too painful to think of him winning the silver yet again. :(
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Sadly, Patrick did not seem to care about his individual placement at the Olympics - he said he cared about having a clean skate. His whole goal was that team gold. In my eyes, his free skate in the men's event was more of an exhibition. Going to Worlds and doing that would be a bit of a waste!

Stephen Gogolev will just be old enough to compete at the junior level internationally in the coming season. It is way to early to say how he will evolve in the future - growth/puberty may impact him or there could be injuries from his early jumping.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Does anyone know if we will see Dylan and Lubov at the Worlds? There seemed to be such a sense of defeat at Canadians that I wonder if they have continued to train. I would love to see them there, and for them to have one really great competition to end out their competitive career.

While I do understand the desire not to attend Worlds for those who really want to retire, I do feel it puts Canada at a disadvantage in terms of how many skaters we can qualify for next year's Worlds. It always seems a disappointment to me when skaters don't commit to a few more weeks to help the skaters of the future.....
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The official entries should be up very soon but it is my understanding that Dylan and Lubov will not be participating :(
fred

Post by fred »

I had hoped that Virtue & Moir would be at worlds and actually thought it'd be an easy World Gold for them, adding another to their kit bag, but I don't think that's high on their agenda. It also gives other teams a chance to make their own history and grab some hardware. I'm feeling a little nostalgic about their career now. Presumably they'll be skating SOI and I hope they are getting paid a bundle for it! :D :D :D
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Tessa and Scott made it clear in interviews at the Olympics that they were not going to Worlds.

They are definitely on the cast list for Canadian SOI as are Meagan & Eric, Kaetlyn, Gabby and Patrick plus others like Elvis & Jeff. It is likely to be our most *highly decorated" cast ever.

Now that the entries available, I have created a separate thread just for Worlds in Milan as well as one for Junior Worlds.