PyeongChang 2018 Olympics - FIGURE SKATING (excl. Team, Pairs & Men) - DANCE & LADIES

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

Re: PyeongChang 2018 Olympics - FIGURE SKATING (excl. Team, Pairs & Men) - DANCE & LADIES

Post by Elizabeth »

It's official....

And the official ISU report: https://www.isu.org/news-inside-isu/127 ... teParam=15
Elizabeth

Re: PyeongChang 2018 Olympics - FIGURE SKATING (excl. Team, Pairs & Men) - DANCE & LADIES

Post by Elizabeth »

An interesting Globe & Mail article: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/ ... e38026114/

A partial quote:
With the gold medal on the line, Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir had no idea their rivals from France had just set the world record.

Less than 24 hours earlier, the Canadian ice dancers huddled with their team of coaches, trainers and sports psychologists and came up with a plan. They all agreed — no matter what the French team did during the ice dance long program on Tuesday, Virtue and Moir didn't want to know about it.

No one would tell them the French team's marks. No one would even raise an eyebrow. They would studiously avoid the televisions backstage, and they would — as Moir later put it — cover their ears when the score was announced on the arena sound system.

Instead, Virtue and Moir would step onto the ice for what is expected to be the last Olympic appearance of their storied careers with a clear mind, devoid of any numbers in their head telling them what marks they needed to win.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

That was fantastic!! I was screaming and crying believe me. The 20 Years of Magic montage was very well done. I've done montages of that detail and coordinated what was happening in the video with the song lyrics and I can testify that's a job of a minimum of 30 hours! It's unfortunate that the person who makes it never seems to be credited. That's a heck of a lot of work...well done!! Also, grab the Kleenexes. I haven't found the full medal ceremony yet but I'm working on it. Excellent strategy not to know what the French were doing!! They certainly nailed it. The risk & excitement in their program was just so much more than the French. The emotional component is so important in the program delivery.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Here is the link for the medal ceremony...from British TV:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0k5zj91u3 ... remony.mp4
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Re: PyeongChang 2018 Olympics - FIGURE SKATING - LADIES begins

Post by Elizabeth »

I'm just watching the ice dance replay on CBC but realize that the ladies short program is this evening.

This is from TSN Skate on Twitter:
Ladies short program - on TSN1 at 8:00 pm ET tonight @larkynaustman 9:21 @gabby_daleman 10:58 @kaetlyn_23 11:01
The information is now confirmed on my on-screen TV guide.

CBC will be "blending it in" as usual with their full replay tomorrow afternoon between 3 & 5 p.m. ET.

Here's the full timed start order (Korean time): http://www.isuresults.com/results/seaso ... hedule.pdf
30 ladies will start tonight with the top 24 going forward to the free skate in two days (Thursday evening ET).

The ISU start order/live results page: http://www.isuresults.com/results/seaso ... SEG003.HTM

The Olympics start order/results page: https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/game ... 00100-.htm
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I think I may be watching the replay for the final flight. I'm pretty tired out after last night's marathon. I'm thinking they have the time for Katelyn wrong because Gabby and she are in two separate flights with five skaters in-between them. So Katelyn will be closer to midnight, probably after 11:30.
fred

Post by fred »

Has Medvedeva re-injured her ankle? I only ask because there's this headline on the CBC website.

Preview The Olympic women's figure skating event just got interesting
Medvedeva's injury helps Zagitova catapult into contention.
but they just seem to be talking about the old injury and trying to whip up some false hopes. You know, what other people call "lying."
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

kittykins wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:34 pm I think I may be watching the replay for the final flight. I'm pretty tired out after last night's marathon. I'm thinking they have the time for Katelyn wrong because Gabby and she are in two separate flights with five skaters in-between them. So Katelyn will be closer to midnight, probably after 11:30.
The exact times (in Korean time) are in the link I provided for the timed schedule - just subtract 14 hours to get the time for ET. I only copied what TSN Skate tweeted and didn't check it :)

The time for Kaetlyn is 12:01 a.m. ET by my calculations :)
Last edited by Elizabeth on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

fred wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:39 pm Has Medvedeva re-injured her ankle? I only ask because there's this headline on the CBC website.

Preview The Olympic women's figure skating event just got interesting
Medvedeva's injury helps Zagitova catapult into contention.
but they just seem to be talking about the old injury and trying to whip up some false hopes. You know, what other people call "lying."
I didn't read the article, Fred.

Medvedeva was back on the ice and competed at Europeans where she was beaten by her younger compatriot who trains in the same group. It was the first competition she had lost in a very long time. Who knows what her actual condition currently is.
fred

Post by fred »

But I don't think it means that she re-injured it last night an is out of the competition. So nothing has changed, really. That's good, because I don't like to hear of young people being hurt. There seems to be a lot of it these days.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

In case you missed it...

At the very beginning of tonight's CBC Prime Time broadcast Scott Russell had Tessa & Scott in the studio. They played the two special videos shown last night on a split screen, showing their reactions. He interviewed them and then closed it off with the video of them singing the anthem at the medal ceremony. This should be available on their video of tonight's broadcast, in due course.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

On to the ladies...

Tweeted by Kurt Browning:
If the women’s event is half as good as the top flight of skaters were in the morning practice, then the finale of the Women’s Short Program should be remarkable. The consistency and work ethic were truly Olympic. Good Luck to all.
Judges draw information:
  • Judges drawn for SP: SVK HUN USA JPN KOR CHN RUS KZK LAT

Not drawn and set for FS: BEL CAN FRA GER

Tech Panel: AUS KOR UKR
Judy

Post by Judy »

Thank you very much for the video link to the dance medals Kittykins.

I noticed Tessa and Scott looked at each other as they sang " ... in all of us command". I'm happy the new lyrics became law before the games.

We have such wonderful memories to treasure from all the years we've watched them. Thank you Tessa and Scott.

Maybe when Olympics are over we can share some of those memories?
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Judy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:43 am Thank you very much for the video link to the dance medals Kittykins.

I noticed Tessa and Scott looked at each other as they sang " ... in all of us command". I'm happy the new lyrics became law before the games.

We have such wonderful memories to treasure from all the years we've watched them. Thank you Tessa and Scott.

Maybe when Olympics are over we can share some of those memories?
The CBC video "20 years of Magic" does a pretty good job of bringing back those memories: https://olympics.cbc.ca/video/highlight ... and-scott/ If you look carefully, Judy, you might spot some folks you recognize in one of the scenes!
fred

Post by fred »

They keep changing the national anthem. I can never remember the words now. I would have thought it should be "in all of *our* command," but there it is. I've never really payed much attention to the words anyway.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

fred wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:46 am They keep changing the national anthem. I can never remember the words now. I would have thought it should be "in all of *our* command," but there it is. I've never really payed much attention to the words anyway.
The only change was from "in all thy sons command" to "in all of us command" :)

Here's a link to the official English, French and bilingual versions: https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-herit ... anada.html
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Any thoughts on the short programs from the ladies last night? Any surprises?

Any speculation about how the free skate tomorrow night might play out?

Perhaps you are waiting to watch the replay this afternoon :D

================================

Here's a link to the detailed protocols, in case you are interested: http://www.isuresults.com/results/seaso ... Scores.pdf
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I would like some explanations about Kaetlyn's scores from that panel. How can spindly, tiny jumps with no flow or position end up scoring higher than huge, fast, powerful, high jumps done with exquisite posture, landing position, and flow??? I know, I know.....second half of the program bonus plus throwing your arms in the air (and a tutu for good measure :? ). Bull****!! Even Tara & Johnny on NBC called Osmond ahead of Medvedeva, and then had to backpedal once the scores came up, citing Medvedeva's "reputation". And why were her PCS lower than both Russians?? Should have won the short program hands down. She showed us what brilliant skating really should be. I'm ranting this morning, but I'm MAAAAADDDD!
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Kevin wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:50 am I would like some explanations about Kaetlyn's scores from that panel. How can spindly, tiny jumps with no flow or position end up scoring higher than huge, fast, powerful, high jumps done with exquisite posture, landing position, and flow??? I know, I know.....second half of the program bonus plus throwing your arms in the air (and a tutu for good measure :? ). Bull****!! Even Tara & Johnny on NBC called Osmond ahead of Medvedeva, and then had to backpedal once the scores came up, citing Medvedeva's "reputation". And why were her PCS lower than both Russians?? Should have won the short program hands down. She showed us what brilliant skating really should be. I'm ranting this morning, but I'm MAAAAADDDD!
You are not alone - there are many commenting that the order of the top three is wrong, including Dick Button!

In addition to the "2nd half bonus", there are some issues related to judging - one is national/bloc bias; another is improper application of PCS marks. The ISU has some work to do to change both of these problems :(

Some

Spoiler

Space

for

those

who

need

it

You might find some "annotated" results/protocols of interest from @skatingscores via Twitter:

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Talking about judging and going back to the ice dance event, the infamous President of the French Federation is not happy about judging that led to the Canadian gold medal: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/ ... e38047288/

Remember who was involved and suspended (not long enough, in my opinion) after the Salt Lake City debacle. People who live in glass houses.....

Perhaps he should be reminded that the high mark and the low mark are arbitrarily thrown out during the competition.

The issue of federation officials being judges is something for the ISU to sort out but not during the Olympics. It was raised months ago and there was no action taken as there are no rules that forbid it. Perhaps they will make some changes before next season - the Council meets in June, I believe.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Moving back to the ladies, here is the official ISU report of the short program with some quotes from the top skaters: https://www.isu.org/news-inside-isu/127 ... teParam=15

I'm thankful for a "day off" and hope the skaters are too :D
Elizabeth

Re: PyeongChang 2018 Olympics - FIGURE SKATING (excl. Team, Pairs & Men) - LADIES FS

Post by Elizabeth »

At the moment it appears that TSN 1 & 3 will be showing the ladies free skate in its entirety with CBC having their usual "blended" coverage. The replay of the event is listed for CBC from 3-5 p.m. ET tomorrow (Friday).

The timed start order (Korean time) for the ladies free skate that begins at 8 p.m. ET tonight is here:
http://www.isuresults.com/results/seaso ... hedule.pdf
It looks like this:

The ISU Start Order/Results page is here: http://www.isuresults.com/results/seaso ... SEG004.HTM and the Olympics Start Order/Results page is here: https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/game ... 00100-.htm
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

From TSN Skate on Twitter:
Ladies free skate in its entirety on TSN 1,3 tonight at 8:00pm ET @gabby_daleman at 10:35 @kaetlyn_23 at 11:40
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Judges drawn for the Ladies FS: CAN; LAT; KOR; RUS; CHN; FRA; BEL; USA; GER

Technical panel: AUS; KOR; UKR
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

No comments about a down and then an up night for the Canadian ladies?

Nothing about the tied scores that prove that apparently sometimes you can win it in the short program?

The good news is that all three of those who won medals are planning to compete at Worlds.

The rest of our team was cheering in the stands

It was the first gold medal in any sport for the OAR at this Olympics and a history-making 27th medal for Canada - the most ever at a Winter Olympics.

The event report from the ISU: https://www.isu.org/news-inside-isu/127 ... teParam=15

And the Twitter comment from the legendary Dick Button:
Osmond Beautiful skating, elegant jumps, marvelous