Update on Yuzuru Hanyu after NHK

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
Elizabeth

Update on Yuzuru Hanyu after NHK

Post by Elizabeth »

From: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/201 ... gi6WohrzIU
Injured Yuzuru Hanyu out for three to four weeks
by Jack Gallagher, Staff Writer

Nov 12, 2017

OSAKA – World and Olympic champion Yuzuru Hanyu will be sidelined for three to four weeks due to the ankle injury he sustained in practice for the NHK Trophy, according to a statement released by the Japan Skating Federation on Sunday afternoon.

The 22-year-old superstar was injured on Thursday when he fell while attempting a quadruple lutz and injured the lateral ligament in his right ankle. The injury forced him to withdraw from the NHK Trophy, which means he won’t be able to qualify for next month’s Grand Prix Final in Nagoya. Hanyu has won the GP Final four years in a row.

The Sochi gold medalist, who has remained in his hotel here since the injury, issued the following statement through the JSF on Sunday:

“Thank you always for your ongoing support. I am very sorry to have everyone worried. I was told by my doctors that I am to have complete rest for 10 days. I hope to recover in three to four weeks, but this is tentative.

“I will work hard on my treatment and rehabilitation to be in time for nationals. I would appreciate everybody’s consideration and understanding so that I may concentrate on the rehabilitation and my training to be able to perform well at nationals.”

The Japan nationals are scheduled for Dec. 20-24 in Tokyo. The team for the Pyeongchang Olympics will be announced at the conclusion of the event.
happyheini

Re: Update on Yuzuru Hanyu after NHK

Post by happyheini »

Tough break for him. Let's hope he will be able to compete at the Japanese Nationals and the Olympics.
Elizabeth

Re: Update on Yuzuru Hanyu after NHK

Post by Elizabeth »

I hope he doesn't return to competition too soon - I suspect the Japanese Federation would put him on the Olympic team even if he is not ready to compete at Nationals (perhaps with a substitute also named).