Figure Skating Calendar 2019 by David W. Carmichael

This is where we discuss figure skating and skating related items. How did you favourite skaters perform, and so on? However we never speculate on the private lives of skaters, like who might be going out with whom, because that is poison and is not tolerated here. A good guideline is that if it's not publicly announced, in the papers etc. then it's probably best to leave it alone. Is it a gray area? Then write to me and ask.
kittykins

Figure Skating Calendar 2019 by David W. Carmichael

Post by kittykins »

I was excited to see a new skating calendar for 2018 after missing Gérard Chataigneau and Barry Mittan's art after they both tragically passed away in 2012-2013. I don't think there's been a figure skating calendar since. These are being sold at those calendar shops at malls. Dave is a former biology teacher who is also a well known photographer.

http://www.davecskatingphoto.com/index.html

Last edited by kittykins on Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Re: Figure Skating Calendar 2018 by David W. Carmichael

Post by Elizabeth »

Dave, a fellow Nova Scotian, is a remarkable man who overcame serious physical injury to his hands to embark on a whole new career. He travels around the world and often is the "lead photographer" on the ice at ISU events, directing the skaters where to go and how to stand for the horde of other photographers standing on the sidelines. He is well respected by the skaters and does a lot for them "behind the scenes".

Thanks for bringing the calendar to our attention :)

By the way, you might like to check out his many photos posted on his website by competition: http://www.davecskatingphoto.com/photos.html
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Elizabeth wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:52 pm Dave, a fellow Nova Scotian, is a remarkable man who overcame serious physical injury to his hands to embark on a whole new career. He travels around the world and often is the "lead photographer" on the ice at ISU events, directing the skaters where to go and how to stand for the horde of other photographers standing on the sidelines. He is well respected by the skaters and does a lot for them "behind the scenes".

Thanks for bringing the calendar to our attention :)

By the way, you might like to check out his many photos posted on his website by competition: http://www.davecskatingphoto.com/photos.html
You're welcome and thanks for the information about Dave, that is most interesting. I highly admire people with physical disabilities who go beyond what most people with similar problems wouldn't even attempt. I know from working in a specialized special education field, that people with disabilities often put in 200% and can many times out-shine able-bodied people. What a wonderful gift he possesses. I think this calendar is even better than those of the past. I'm certainly happy to see Kaitlyn on the front.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I've been meaning to mention that I saw David across the ice when I was at Skate Canada. Is he ever cute...looks like a smiling little leprechaun. He was just beaming. I honestly don't know how he manages with his right hand disabled. What a gifted man. It was just heart-warming to see him SO happy taking pictures of the skaters. He looks like he is a nice person.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

kittykins wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:42 am I've been meaning to mention that I saw David across the ice when I was at Skate Canada. Is he ever cute...looks like a smiling little leprechaun. He was just beaming. I honestly don't know how he manages with his right hand disabled. What a gifted man. It was just heart-warming to see him SO happy taking pictures of the skaters. He looks like he is a nice person.
Dave is a nice person, I've known him for many years and usually find a few moments for a chat when he's at a competition. When we first met he was still using a "regular" camera and it took him quite a few years to make the switch to digital.

He does a lot of work on behalf of the ISU at their competitions around the world and you'll often see him on the ice during the medal ceremonies directing the skaters where to stand so that the other photographers, behind the boards, can get their shots. He has good relationships with a lot of the skaters and is very kind to them.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Nice. Thanks for that information.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I'm looking forward to putting this on my wall in a few days. I'm tired of the Downton Abbey calendars that have been up in the skating calendars' place, LOL. :lol:
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I bought the 2019 version of this calendar at the Mall before Christmas. Although the pictures aren't as good as last year's imho, it will still be nice to have a skating calendar on my wall!

201900011955.jpg
201900011955_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.