Now this is a real scam!

Anything that doesn't fit in the other categories goes here. Just be polite, as always.
Elizabeth

Now this is a real scam!

Post by Elizabeth » Wed May 10, 2017 3:36 pm

You can tell it's income tax season - the calls about your tax troubles, the possibility of being sent to jail, etc. have ramped up :( Ironically, last week I had a recorded message of this type on the very same day that my income tax refund was deposited in my bank account.

I monitor who is calling me and will not answer those from unknown, unrecognized, or suspicious numbers. If it's important, there is voicemail.

People are also reporting receipt of e-mails that purport to pertain to a refund, asking you to click on a link - DON'T do it! Here's a link to an article: http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/canada-r ... -1.2296220

Police services in Sudbury, ON recently reported the arrest of 70 individuals in a call centre in India employing some 700 people - https://sudbury.lokol.me/p/117744

A reminder from the article:
The CRA will not do the following:

* Send email with a link and ask you to divulge personal or financial information; (Exception: If you call the CRA to request a form or a link for specific information, a CRA agent will forward the information you are requesting to your email during the telephone call. This is the only circumstance in which the CRA will send an email containing links.)
* Ask for personal information of any kind by email or text message;
* Request payments by prepaid credit cards;
* Give taxpayer information to another person, unless formal authorization is provided by the taxpayer; and
* Leave personal information on an answering machine.
Can't skate but love to watch, especially with my >^.,.^<

Fred

Re: Now this is a real scam!

Post by Fred » Wed May 10, 2017 7:01 pm

Thanks Elizabeth. There's good info there. I was going to start a new thread, (maybe I should), but I just got this notification.

"This is a recipe for disaster. And we’re not the only ones to notice. According to experts at Institutional Shareholder Services (ISS), Facebook scored an alarming 10 out of 10 for corporate governance risk."

kittykins

Post by kittykins » Thu May 11, 2017 11:44 pm

That's dreadful! Thanks for the information!
"Vulgarity is a short-cut to thinking." ~Red Skelton
~Skating fan since 1969 :)~

Fred

Post by Fred » Fri May 12, 2017 10:31 am

They're all real scams.

kittykins

Post by kittykins » Mon May 22, 2017 4:43 pm

My heart just broke when I saw the news story today on CBC about the 90 year old man who was scammed out of $200,000. He had taken out two mortgages after they told him he'd be arrested for supporting terrorism. He finally told his daughter about it after it went on for about 4 years. One mortgage was forgiven and they also waived the interest charges. He sold his condo and then was able to pay off the rest. He is now moving into a senior's home and living off his mortgage. SAD!! :( I don't know where banking employees get off without investigating such things. I think when I am a senior I will have to put safe guards in place when I am past a certain age. I think because this man seems to be fine mentally, people might not have challenged his decisions, but obviously either the scammers were very tricky and he was more gullible being older. May those scammers rot in Hell! I just wish he hadn't been so humiliated, but he chose to come forward to share his story so the same thing doesn't happen to others. I admire him for that. The look on his daughter's face was of pure agony when I saw them on TV today. DEVASTATING! :( I think not answering the phone to people you don't know or answering e-mail or snail mail from people you don't know is always wise, especially as we all get older.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Mon May 22, 2017 10:52 pm

I agree :(
Can't skate but love to watch, especially with my >^.,.^<

Fred

Post by Fred » Tue May 23, 2017 10:33 am

I gather they didn't catch the people who did this,... yet. I hope they do. Often they are operating out of a foreign country over the Internet or phone. I do hope they get caught, but odds are they are not going to be caught. There's some good advice here: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/scams-fraudes/index-eng.htm

kittykins

Post by kittykins » Tue May 23, 2017 11:18 pm

They were apparently from India and so they can't catch them. What's really sad is that his daughter's name was on the account and they didn't contact her when his spending habits changed. Scotiabank is partially responsible if you ask me. Thanks for the link Fred. I'm going to check it out now.

Yes, good pointers. One thing is that the bank should have been giving the daughter copies of his bank statements. It's hard as not all parents are willing to give that information. I think just keeping the lines of communication open is good, not to say that the daughter wasn't. I'm pretty sure my Dad would tell me and my brother-in-law about anything like that. He is fortunately a good communicator who e-mails us 2-3 times a day. Also, he doesn't have a credit card which is another bonus and also tells me when he's going out to mail something as it's a bit of a production for him.