2020 Olympics in Tokyo

This is where we can talk about things not included in the forums above. Still board rules apply, so no hurtful posts are allowed Exchange recipes, talk about your hobbies, there's been some great discussions about Downton Abbey, and so on.
kittykins

2020 Olympics in Tokyo

Post by kittykins »

Is anyone else watching? Wow, it's hard to get sleep eh? haha. I stay up too late and get up too early.

I'm happy that Canada has gotten 2 silver medals already in women's swimming relay and synchro diving. :mrgreen:
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Re: 2020 Olympics in Tokyo

Post by Elizabeth »

There doesn't seem to be any skating involved so I'm not up for doing any all-nighters :D

I watched the opening ceremonies live on CBC (and some of the replay on an American feed). I'm following the results online and watching some of the replays.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Elizabeth wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:55 pm There doesn't seem to be any skating involved so I'm not up for doing any all-nighters :D

I watched the opening ceremonies live on CBC (and some of the replay on an American feed). I'm following the results online and watching some of the replays.
I can't do all nighters anymore, even for skating! :lol: I admire you for being able to do that. My sister mentioned the CBC Olympics App and so I downloaded it on my phone. It's so good about the gold in swimming in the butterfly by Maggie, and the 4th place finish, after being in 3rd for most of the race, by 14 year old Summer. The latter is pretty impressive, but it's in her genes. I think it won't be long before we see some descendants of famous skaters coming into the limelight. I find the Olympic coverage quite boring in the mornings but it improves about noon. I am happy for the Canadian who won a bronze in Judo...not something I'm that interested in, haha.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I do not have a "smart phone" - just a flip phone for some necessary phone calls. No "apps" for me :D
fred

Post by fred »

Good for you. I have gone from my super cell phone by Huawei, back to a land line, and I'm saving come real folding money there. I can still use the cell phone as a camera for high resolution photos & Video. and it can still access the Internet at 5G via my home WiFi. I'm just not using it as a phone anymore. I use it to check the weather and for some browsing when my computer died a few days ago. I got it back again by carefully massaging my boot code, which had been trashed by someone who doesn't like my politics, I expect.(?)
Olympic coverage is poor online as far as I can tell.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Fred - check out the CBC Tokyo Olympics website for links to online coverage: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Quite a good "wrap up": [url]https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics ... -1.6133936[/url]

The author, CBC's Devin Heroux, is perhaps better known for his curling coverage but he was truly a "man about town" during these Olympics and will be staying on for the Paralympics. He developed quite a Japanese following with his tweets, especially about his meals purchased, while under strict quarantine restrictions, from the 7/11 that was attached to his hotel. Obviously they carry more there than we are used to :D
fred

Post by fred »

There was a graphic superimposed on the track at one of the races that Andre De Grasse ran in. They showed him reaching 32 Km/h. That's the speed limit for electric bicycles in Canada. I took mine up to it last Sat. and and the wind blew in my face and things were whizzing by, I was astounded that anyone could run that fast or make their feet move that fast. It's really awesome.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

fred wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:26 am There was a graphic superimposed on the track at one of the races that Andre De Grasse ran in. They showed him reaching 32 Km/h. That's the speed limit for electric bicycles in Canada. I took mine up to it last Sat. and and the wind blew in my face and things were whizzing by, I was astounded that anyone could run that fast or make their feet move that fast. It's really awesome.
Wow, that's incredible!! :o
Elizabeth wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:49 am I do not have a "smart phone" - just a flip phone for some necessary phone calls. No "apps" for me :D
I'm still holding onto my I-phone 6 which is a good phone. After that when they moved to the i-phone 6S they started getting too fancy imho, taking out the traditional headphone jack. I'll hold onto this phone as long as it works. When the battery dies, I'll probably go to a local business where this nice Chinese-Canadian fellow repairs and sells batteries for old phones. I did that last time when I had a Blackberry and was quite happy with the results. My other reason is I have a very affordable rate for fees, and I know friends of mine are paying more when they get a new phone. I got a "free phone" which I would try to do again if it's available...there's the rub.