I may have missed a day or two.

This is where we can talk about things not included in the forums above. Still board rules apply, so no hurtful posts are allowed Exchange recipes, talk about your hobbies, there's been some great discussions about Downton Abbey, and so on.
fred

I may have missed a day or two.

Post by fred »

Hi folks. My disk drive failed yesterday and although I've been at the library to log onto the Net, I may not have found my way to the board, so I just wanted to let people know. I needed some maintenance done to my hardware and it's running more reliable now. I'll have a new disk drive in a few days, or sooner.
I was in a coffee shop after the Library today and thought of stepping out on a rink's ice in my skates and "flying" as Barb used to put it. I do miss that.
happyheini

Re: I may have missed a day or two.

Post by happyheini »

The board has been quiet the last few days, Fred. I hope if you do step on the ice you do very carefully, otherwise you will be flying alright but you'll land on your butt. :D
fred

Post by fred »

Not to worry. I have no intentions of stepping out on the ice, except the ice on my driveway & that won't be in skates. :)
I don't think I could get them on these days, my ankles are so swollen. I could lie with my feet up in the arena for half an hour and then see, but when I hung up my skates I had one last good skate and I looked around and made a mental note of the occasion. Unlike some competitive skaters, I have no intentions of coming out of retirement. :lol:
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I have never skated (other than when my father tried once or twice to teach me as a youngster) and have no intention of ever trying. I have no trouble slipping and falling on ice without trying those narrow blades :(

I've just bought new winter boots that come equipped with "grippers" in the soles that can be unfolded for use when necessary. Safety first!
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

I didn't know such boots existed, Elizabeth. I have strap-on spikes, but they are a nuisance and become dangerous as soon as you step into the Mall or a store, so you have to carry a bag and un-strap them, re-strap them..... you get the picture....
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

happyheini wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:58 am I didn't know such boots existed, Elizabeth. I have strap-on spikes, but they are a nuisance and become dangerous as soon as you step into the Mall or a store, so you have to carry a bag and un-strap them, re-strap them..... you get the picture....
I have two sets of the "strap-on" spikes - one set at home to use going out on my own sloping driveway; one set in the car for when I get out of it onto slippery surfaces like the church parking lot. The boots I got are Naot but Romika has something similar. There is a "key" to open or close the spikes as needed. A friend and her mother each got some last year.
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

Thanks Elizabeth for the information, I will do some research. As I do not drive the sometimes icy sidewalks do cramp my style. :D
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I skated a bit in my 20's when I first came to town. Then one of my dippy roommates gave away my skates to the Sally Ann's or something and left me with another pair that was slightly bigger. In some ways they fit a bit better but weren't of the quality. I think I skated a bit with them. When I was teaching I heard of teachers breaking their wrists when skating with the kids and I realized how easy it was to happen. So, I haven't done any skating for quite some time. I think as we get into our 50's we realize how vulnerable we are with such things. It sure would be nice to still have my original skates and I wonder what the story is with those (visions of those skating movies, lol) when they went to another person. Sadly I think I'm at the point of donating those skates to the Sally Ann's now myself, :lol: . There's no point as I'm not using them and they have no sentimental value because they belonged to someone else, HA.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)