Christmas eating is going to be good this year.

This is where we can talk about things not included in the forums above. Still board rules apply, so no hurtful posts are allowed Exchange recipes, talk about your hobbies, there's been some great discussions about Downton Abbey, and so on.
fred

Christmas eating is going to be good this year.

Post by fred »

Well, I have a dozen butter tarts out of the oven and cooled of almost enough. The aroma of them is all through the house now, and I'm going to have 2 or 3 before I go get the reindeer and make my rounds. :D Ho Ho HO!
See you later.
Elizabeth

Re: Christmas eating is going to be good this year.

Post by Elizabeth »

Enjoy, Fred!!!

I have been the grateful recipient of several "seasonal drop-offs" of treats from friends who are bakers - there's probably enough to last until Valentine's Day!!

Tomorrow I am getting a Christmas dinner "to go" from a neighbour - she will be feeding her son, daughter-in-law and 2 grandchildren (4 & 1). It would be impossible to eat while wearing a mask so I said "no" to her invitation to join them at the table but will happily have a short "masked up" visit and then accept my empty plate to be filled with food to bring home :)
happyheini

Post by happyheini »

sounds like a nice way to celebrate, Elizabeth. I was fortunate enough to be able to get together with my very good friend yesterday. We both live alone and are allowed one or two extra persons. I have no family here in Canada and am usually on a trip with my "Christmas friend" and for my friend it was the First time in almost 50 years without the hustle and bustle of kids, grandkids, dogs cats. We were both happy.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Glad you were able to be together in these unusual and challenging times :)
fred

Post by fred »

happyheini wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:43 pm First time in almost 50 years without the hustle and bustle of kids, grandkids, dogs cats. We were both happy.
That sounds like a great Christmas, Heini. I'm glad that worked out for you.
I hope everybody had as good as that.

My computer died and a good friend here drove me twice to the computer store when I needed help. By Christmas day, I was up and running again. The butter tarts were delicious, and I'm thinking about a pie next. I have apples here, and I know how to use them. :D
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Unlike Fred, I'm not a baker. Thankfully, several of my friends are though - I had several contact-free deliveries of seasonal "goodies". I probably have enough to keep me going until Valentine's Day :lol:

A neighbour was kind enough to give me a Christmas dinner "to go" as she was feeding her son, daughter-in-law and 2 grandchildren. Another friend brought me Boxing Day leftovers - a "sandwich pack" to make a super turkey, dressing & cranberry sandwich!!

I was able to be in touch with friends and relatives via phone, e-mail and Facebook. I also was able to "attend" several church services - at my own parish of Christ Church Cathedral Ottawa as well as some other churches farther afield, thanks to live streaming on YouTube.
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

I'm glad you are all doing well. Dad and I have had Zoom meetings with the family in 3 other locations for Christmas and birthday celebrations, one across the street. The restrictions are slightly more strict in this province than back home, so we had to do it that way. I read recently that 1/3 of households in T.O. are a person living alone. It's just over 1 in 4 in most places, which is a LOT of people. We are not alone in other words! Thankfully technology helps us get together. My father is doing very well. He was in hospital for 3 months and is now home and back to his regular self. He still has one outstanding medical issue which will hopefully be attended to in the spring. He receives Home Care and the workers like him a lot and he them. We also had turkey dinner from my sister and brother-in-law across the street. My 22 year old nephew has been the errand Boy, lol. My brother-in-law originally took it over to help his mother who was widowed twice, and loved it so much he's done it for years for the whole family. The picture that is my avatar was taken on Christmas Day, and the best of the Season to you all and Happy New Year 2021! I'm very grateful to still have my Dad, and he definitely looks good for 86! I have to drive back after New Year's. Say a prayer for me if you would and thanks! I do not like winter roads but it's supposed to be a bit nicer next week.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)