Acadia University Football.

This is where we can talk about things not included in the forums above. Still board rules apply, so no hurtful posts are allowed Exchange recipes, talk about your hobbies, there's been some great discussions about Downton Abbey, and so on.
fred

Acadia University Football.

Post by fred »

First let me say that I am not a "football" fan, as it is played in North America. (I am a soccer fan, which the world calls "football").
Acadia played Saint Mary's University in a game yesterday, (Tuesday), and it was supposed to be played last Saturday. St Mary's has been using a player all season that was ineligible, because he played in the CFL and was a professional. He had to be out of professional football for a year before he could play. There was a court case which looked at the legal aspects and rules in ST. Mary's favour, because they weren't considering eligibility, only the legal matters. I live here in Wolfville and thought I'd go over & stand outside the fence & watch part of the game, despite it being cold with a little rain from time to time.
When I arrived the score was 3 - 0 for St. Mary's, (which I'll call SMU herafter), Acadia tied it up with a field goal but then before half time SMU easily marched down the field twice for 2 tuchdowns and it was 17 to 3. It's not just the score, but the ease with which SMU did it made me think that it was over. I wasn't going to stand there in the cold much longer anyway. I did my shopping and from the other side of town I could hear that the game wasn't over, but I figured it wouldn't be long. It took me 45 minutes to climb the hill to get home and I fed the cats & another 15 minutes to get the computer started and I thought I'd look up the game & see who won. Surprise surprise! The game was tied and in the second overtime. I watched it on Acadia Student's Union TV, and Acadia scored a touchdown. SMU got possession and started that march down the field. A pass for a touchdown failed because of pass interference by Acadia, an Acadia player just tackled the receiver before the ball arrived. SMU had 2nd down and passed into the end zone. Acadia picked it off and the place went wild because time had run out. An amazing result from a team of guys who refused to lie down & play dead. It was an impressive come from behind victory.
Elizabeth

Re: Acadia University Football.

Post by Elizabeth »

And now Acadia has to play again on Saturday!
fred

Post by fred »

Yes. Against a very strong team, Univ. of Western? form Ontario. The game is at 2:00 PM Atlantic Time. I don't know if I'll be watching it. I'm not standing our in the cold for it. That's for sure.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

It was a bit of a blowout in favour of Western!
fred

Post by fred »

Indeed. That was what the experts here forecast. Nevertheless, Acadia won our division, even with St. Marys using an ineligible player. So they don't owe us anything. They had a great season.
Now back to "real" football,... soccer!
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

My ex-husband was a BComm graduate of Acadia and while he was a student there we got to see Simon and Garfunkel live! Acadia also gave my late father an honourary doctorate so I have a bit of a soft spot for the university :)
fred

Post by fred »

Interesting. I was at Acadia from '71 to '75, in Math. & Physics & computers.