It's the "May 2-4" weekend - enjoy it despite the challenging times

This is where we can talk about things not included in the forums above. Still board rules apply, so no hurtful posts are allowed Exchange recipes, talk about your hobbies, there's been some great discussions about Downton Abbey, and so on.
Elizabeth

It's the "May 2-4" weekend - enjoy it despite the challenging times

Post by Elizabeth »

We are now in the midst of the "May long weekend", the "Victoria Day weekend", or whatever you prefer call it. For some folks it marks the beginning cottage time and they celebrate with a "case of 24" (bottles of beer), leading to the nickname in the subject line.

Queen Victoria's birthday was May 24th and it was originally celebrated in Canada as a holiday. The government decided, however, that it should always be celebrated on a Monday, to make a long weekend. Officially, it is held on the Monday preceding May 25th, meaning that it sometimes actually falls on May 24th.

Whatever you call it, I hope that you are all staying safe and well.

If you want to spend some time visiting the (virtual) Canadian Tulip Festival 2020 on its third & final weekend, here's a link to a 22 minute walking tour with the NCC landscape architect: https://youtu.be/l3Bvm3aX1QA
Judy

Re: It's the "May 2-4" weekend - enjoy it despite the challenging times

Post by Judy »

Greetings from rainy Victoria. We need it.

Butchart Gardens has recently reopened, and if you are interested, there is a frequently updated virtual tour. Just visit:

butchartgardens.ca

It’s a peaceful, beautiful place now because of the absence of all the tourists. We locals are very much enjoying that.
Judy

Post by Judy »

Oops, that’s:

butchartgardens.com
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Wow, that's really cool Judy. The Butchart Gardens are such a wonderful place. I guess I've been there twice, on two separate trips. That sounds so peaceful and I wish I could be there right now!

Thanks for the link Elizabeth.

There's nothing too exciting here at the moment, but am keeping well physically...emotionally is more of a challenge and it's a bit up and down.

Take care all.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)