US Politics

This is where we can talk about things not included in the forums above. Still board rules apply, so no hurtful posts are allowed Exchange recipes, talk about your hobbies, there's been some great discussions about Downton Abbey, and so on.
kittykins

US Politics

Post by kittykins »

Man, I can't believe we got 8 straight hours of coverage of the Kavanaugh/Ford Hearing. Can we have our Canadian news back please?!! :roll: :| Any thoughts on what was said? Ford's account sounds legit and he doesn't seem like he's lying either. However, anyone who is so combative and defensive may be guilty. It could be he just doesn't remember as he was drunk at the time? That seems to be the common consensus among the media. Anyway, SO much drama. I think I saw most of it but did have to change the channel at one point. :?
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Re: US Politics

Post by Elizabeth »

Since there has now been agreement for a delay (one week) in the "up and down" vote in the Senate on his appointment, as well as agreement for an FBI investigation into the current allegations before that vote, perhaps things will hopefully become more clear. I certainly would not want a person of his demonstrated temperament and partisanship sitting on "my" Supreme Court in a lifetime appointment! His challenging comments/questions directed toward the Democratic senators and his failure to answer some of their questions did not impress me. Certainly everyone seems to feel she was credible in telling "her truth".
kittykins

Post by kittykins »

Elizabeth wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:20 pm Since there has now been agreement for a delay (one week) in the "up and down" vote in the Senate on his appointment, as well as agreement for an FBI investigation into the current allegations before that vote, perhaps things will hopefully become more clear. I certainly would not want a person of his demonstrated temperament and partisanship sitting on "my" Supreme Court in a lifetime appointment! His challenging comments/questions directed toward the Democratic senators and his failure to answer some of their questions did not impress me. Certainly everyone seems to feel she was credible in telling "her truth".
Well said, and I agree with you. I was very unimpressed with his manner as well. To me it might indicate some guilt. If he is trying to maintain his innocence, that was the wrong approach imho. His friend is now a recovering alcoholic...the whole situation is just very unusual.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
fred

Post by fred »

I don't think he can't remember. I think he's lying!
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

fred wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:54 am I don't think he can't remember. I think he's lying!
I believe he lied about certain things about his past but there was no effort (under direction from the White House) to interview those who could prove it. They concentrated on the assault issue only. I believe he is too partisan and not of the right temperament to service in a lifetime appointment on the US Supreme Court but nobody asked me and it looks like he will be confirmed today :(

An opinion from inside the Court:
https://t.co/9KBhurl2QB
fred

Post by fred »

I believe he has been. It's T-Rump's way of saying, "Look at me. I can do anything and no one can stop me. I just put a misogynist psychopath on the supreme court for life... Now what else can I do?" My heart goes out to the honest, hard-working Americans who have to put up with this.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

fred wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:45 pm I believe he has been. It's T-Rump's way of saying, "Look at me. I can do anything and no one can stop me. I just put a misogynist psychopath on the supreme court for life... Now what else can I do?" My heart goes out to the honest, hard-working Americans who have to put up with this.
Actually, some of the "credit" has to go to the Republican Senate Majority Leader (and to his "accomplice", the White House Counsel) - Mr McConnell has been putting things in place for a very long time to arrive at this result in terms of the make up of the Supreme Court. He knew he could succeed with the person who is now the President of the USA.