Humboldt

This is where we can talk about things not included in the forums above. Still board rules apply, so no hurtful posts are allowed Exchange recipes, talk about your hobbies, there's been some great discussions about Downton Abbey, and so on.
kittykins

Humboldt

Post by kittykins »

The accident regarding the Humboldt team has been very sad and so horrible that so many lives were lost and others changed forever. Today is the last day to donate to the Go Fund Me page fundraising effort. I don't know where people get the ribbons, that I've noticed sportscasters wearing, but I think it's just a green ribbon with a yellow one inside or together with it, the team's colours. I was inspired by Ryan Straschnitzki's interviews with the media. He's paralyzed but has such a positive outlook on life.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)
Elizabeth

Re: Humboldt

Post by Elizabeth »

It has certainly been incredibly sad and will continue to be difficult not just for the families but for those who are dealing with "survivor's guilt" and for the first responders. Many of the latter were volunteers, some of them even knew those involved - one firefighter, for example, had driven the Bronco team bus on occasion in the past.

When I saw that the GoFundMe was bringing in such large amounts, I chose to donate to the CanadaHelps fund for long-term mental health support for the first responders. It was written up in the Nipawin newspaper - https://nipawin.news/archives/4733.

This fund, with a fairly modest goal, has not yet reached 1/2 of that goal:
https://www.canadahelps.org/en/pages/su ... ders-fund/
kittykins

Re: Humboldt

Post by kittykins »

Good idea, Elizabeth! I donated to the Go Fund Me and then asked my Dad if he wanted to and he did so I did it for him and he paid me back.

It's interesting about survivor's guilt and all that goes with that. I had a close friend who was in a serious accident with a train years ago, and the other 3 people died with her being the only survivor. She was in a coma for a while and although she had some effects from the accident with a slight personality change, she was later able to live independently again. I assumed she'd be happy to be alive, but she told me she actually felt abandoned. She asked why she had to go through such a difficult time and the others got to go to Heaven. So, I learned that the feelings of survivors are extremely complicated. I'm sure many of the young men are asking why they survived instead of their friends. The fellow that was at the Jets hockey game looks like he has no injures at all. I was impressed with the fellow named Ryan who is paralyzed. He said in an interview that God gave him a second chance to inspire and help others. However, I'm not sure all will deal with it the same way as him, and actually he may have some rough times down the road, especially if he doesn't really deal with it but glosses over it with positivity. However, I really admire him and he sure has a good attitude. I wouldn't judge anyone who didn't look at it the same way, as I doubt I'd be overly positive myself.
"At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death, And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)